Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-29-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
sideburnt
Connoisseur
sideburnt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
eReader with BIG buttons, or possible Mod?

Hi all

Im hoping that the community here might be able to help, or offer some advice.

I have a friend of mine who has recently suffered a brain injury. he has very limited motor skills, but is very aware otherwise. As a consequence he is bored to tears, being trapped in a frustraiting body.

One thing he can do is grip with one hand and press buttons.

I've already built him a stand for photos and letter people have written for him, he also appears to have retained the full ability to read and write, albiet slowly.

xmas is a way off and I want to do something special for him, as he would have made some ground by then, in rehabilitation (i hope)

One thought I had was the fact that you can blow text up large on eReaders so that he would have no trouble reading, however none of the models I have looked at have particularly large buttons, which alienates the elderly and physically limited target audience, for whom these devices would probably be quite good.

im comfortable with modding a device, its case and fitting bigger buttons, but before that is there any device that I might have missed that sounds ideal?, also can anyone think of any reason why resoldering new buttons in an oversized reenforced case wouldnt work?

Thanks in advance this is an unusual queston I realise.
sideburnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
check out the Pocketbook 360:

http://www.pocketbook-usa.com/products/pocketbook-360/

It has large wing buttons for pageing forward and back.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I think the OP is also concerned with whatever button controls the font size. how is that one?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
That one is smaller ..

but not too hard, between the wing buttons is the center button, around the outer edge of that center button is a silver ring, that silver ring controls increase / decrease in font size.

Push the upper part and font increases ( several times / font steps etc ), push the lower part and the fond decreases.

If you push the upper part too many times, no problem it starts to cycle thru again. ( it has about 6 "steps" / font sizes it will cycle thru, and you can customize how big / small each step is )
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:25 PM   #5
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Another option, if the Pocketbook 360 buttons are too small or flush is to glue fridge magnets onto the buttons.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert