Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old Yesterday, 05:02 AM   #136
Ollybeak
Ollybeak began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Thicko requires salvation...

Apologies, but I've read through much of this site but can't seem to find the answer to a really simple problem.

I want to change the dictionary on my Kobo glo.

I've downloaded Mr Chambers work (curiously billed as written by Mr Fowler).

I connected my reader to the computer (mac). I can click on the logo in a finder window and see icons for all the books - but that's about all.

Do I have to use Kobo desktop? Tried it, but it only seemed to offer synchronisation.

In particular, I'm puzzled by:

On the Kobo go to the ".kobo\dict" folder, and rename "dicthtml.zip" to "dicthtml.backup.zip". This backs up your existing English dictionary (which I assume you already have installed).

The Kobo seems to become inert as soon as it's connected to the computer. So I presume it means using the Kobo desktop thing to 'go to the .kobo\dict folder.

Er... Can't seem to do that. Can anybody point my feeble brain in the right direction?

Thanks in advance. Happy days,

Ol.
Ollybeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:51 AM   #137
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollybeak View Post
Apologies, but I've read through much of this site but can't seem to find the answer to a really simple problem.

I want to change the dictionary on my Kobo glo.

I've downloaded Mr Chambers work (curiously billed as written by Mr Fowler).

I connected my reader to the computer (mac). I can click on the logo in a finder window and see icons for all the books - but that's about all.

Do I have to use Kobo desktop? Tried it, but it only seemed to offer synchronisation.

In particular, I'm puzzled by:

On the Kobo go to the ".kobo\dict" folder, and rename "dicthtml.zip" to "dicthtml.backup.zip". This backs up your existing English dictionary (which I assume you already have installed).

The Kobo seems to become inert as soon as it's connected to the computer. So I presume it means using the Kobo desktop thing to 'go to the .kobo\dict folder.

Er... Can't seem to do that. Can anybody point my feeble brain in the right direction?

Thanks in advance. Happy days,

Ol.
You are not supposed to involve the Kobo desktop application in this. You can use the same application that you usually use in order to copy files from or to a usb storage. You can for instance use the windows (file) explorer.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote