Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 12-08-2007, 10:35 PM   #1
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
HELPED! Bricked my 500 trying to Russify....

[UPDATE: Unbricked -- see below]

Just bricked my 500 trying to mod it for Cyrillic fonts as described here: http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...db90a97d5bef2f

I'm stuck on the "Starting up" screen, even after connecting to usb, hitting reset, and toggling the power switch (which flashes the screen blank, and goes back to Starting Up). Any ideas?

I used the Google translate version of the page. (Couldn't wait any longer for someone to post instructions. ) I think I was doing OK, added the img file to the ebook folder at top level of the C: directory. Flashed the right files from the SD card, connected to usb, entered the two command line commands. The Reader was on "Starting up" after the "ebook um normal" command. I then unplugged the usb. Maybe I shouldn't have? It stuck there on "Starting up" and that's where it remains.

BTW, I searched and cannot get to usb mode to do the 'unbricking' procedure on the wiki.

UPDATE: Managed to unbrick it. How? Using some advice I often suggest here, I plugged it into the ac charger and hit the reset/power switch. It said firmware update was incomplete. Never reached the usb connected screen, but I ran the installer as described here and it reinstalled the firmware. I might give it another shot and keep it plugged into the usb this time, and see if that helps.

BTW, did I mention I love this place?

Last edited by DrMoze; 12-09-2007 at 11:52 AM.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:05 AM   #2
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Newer update: I actually managed to install Cyrillic text in my 500. I will post instructions later (based on what I did and what I figured out from a google-translated webpage from the the-ebook.org site). Hopefully to help others avoid my brick experience.

BTW, I did the basic upgrade, and was then able to do a regular reflash with hackbuilder to get the hacks installed (joystick page turn,clock, direct page access, new icons, small menu fonts) together with Cyrillic support.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:53 AM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
That's great news! Congrats!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:01 PM   #4
tuktuk
tuktuk began at the beginning.

Device: Zaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Newer update: I actually managed to install Cyrillic text in my 500. I will post instructions later (based on what I did and what I figured out from a google-translated webpage from the the-ebook.org site). Hopefully to help others avoid my brick experience.

BTW, I did the basic upgrade, and was then able to do a regular reflash with hackbuilder to get the hacks installed (joystick page turn,clock, direct page access, new icons, small menu fonts) together with Cyrillic support.
Congrats! Without speaking Russian, you've done a great job.
tuktuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:30 PM   #5
DrMoze
Booknut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuktuk View Post
Congrats! Without speaking Russian, you've done a great job.
Thanks. The suggestion of using google translate helped, and the old standby advice of connecting the 500 to the power charger helped with the unbricking. I wasn't sure of the timing, but got it right the second time. (For those who haven't tried, you have to copy a folder onto the c: drive, flash some files via SD, then connect to usb, enter a couple of commands in the command line editor, waiting appropriately to let the process finish.)

BTW, was very happy to be able to add hacks the 'regular' way (hackbuilder) after Cyrillic support was added.