Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-17-2011, 02:05 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Kindle devices

Off the top of my head I think you can have six Kindle devices connected to your Kindle account. I have my K3 (keyboard being the operative statement) and three Android devices tied in. I'm fairly sure there are people here on MR that has already filled their quota of six devices. Does that put a hamper on buying any of the new models? I have to admitt to a certain apprehension.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:10 AM   #2
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Isnt the limit just how many devices 1 book can be on at the same time not how many devices are on the account?
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 02:12 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can have as many devices registered as you wish. The 6-device limit is the number of devices that you can transfer a particular book to, not the number of devices that you can have registered.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:51 AM   #4
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Shows how little I know. Once you have more than six devices wouldn't it b a challenge to keep track on what books are on which devices?
Old 10-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can have as many devices registered as you wish. The 6-device limit is the number of devices that you can transfer a particular book to, not the number of devices that you can have registered.
There is no such 6 device limit.

The number of devices that a book can be transferred to is set by the publisher.

5 is the default and is used by most publishers, but some will only allow users to have a book on one device.

Other publishers offer content without DRM (which allows you to put it on an unlimited number of devices).

Amazon's product pages normally state when a book can be used on either just one device or on unlimited devices:

e.g.

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Java-...856817&sr=1-10

Note "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited" under Product details - this book has no DRM so can be put on as many devices as you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Shows how little I know. Once you have more than six devices wouldn't it b a challenge to keep track on what books are on which devices?
Potentially, although you can always just Deregister a device from www.amazon.com/myk and that should free up the book licences for that device for reuse.

There aren't any restrictions on registering and deregistering devices, so the system is flexible enough to do this.

Last edited by Daveoc64; 10-17-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Depends on how many users you have. While we have 7 devices registered, My husband primarily reads on his iPad, and I primarily read on my Kindle, and there are very few titles that we both are interested in.

Thus, a majority of our books are only on one, perhaps two, devices out of the 7.

If you had ten devices with ten different users, then I imagine this would become an issue.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
If you had ten devices with ten different users, then I imagine this would become an issue.
Assuming, of course, all 10 had similar reading tastes.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:52 AM   #8
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

I'm beginning to realize that my knowledge about the Kindle devices must have been based on urban myth more than actual fact. Normally I'm fairly prudent in checking out the facts before posting, so I'm as much surprised as disappointed in my inability to do this. I felt so sure that there was a 6 device registration limit. Obviously you can de-register a device to put in another. For example, I don't use my Android phone as a reading device now that I don't commute by bus. So fo me personally it isn't a problem at all, however if I keep hoarding devices the way I usually do, then I foresaw a day when I might have to switch back and fort by registering and de-registering different devices.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:14 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Perhaps you're thinking of ADE device registration? That does have a device limit and it is, I believe, six.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
account, device, limitation