Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Nobody has yet answered my question.

What version has all the words?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #32
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Hapgood translation, Carefully Crafted Classics.
$2.99 for Kindle:
http://www.amazon.com/Mis%C3%A9rable...d_sim_kstore_4

Has almost all the words.
My understanding is that the original did not. They were filled back afterwards as the editors and commentators figured them out. Some of those have never been 'filled in'. Or that, in short, is what I remember reading in the editorial note to a print copy I picked up an my girlfriend's place a while ago - I know is was Hapgood's translation, but I couldn't tell you the editor.

The version above is pretty free of errors, decently formatted, and with pretty illustrations.
If you want a free one, I can't help.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
Hapgood translation, Carefully Crafted Classics.
$2.99 for Kindle:
http://www.amazon.com/Mis%C3%A9rable...d_sim_kstore_4

My understanding is that the original did not. They were filled back afterwards as the editors and commentators figured them out. Some of those have never been 'filled in'. Or that, in short, is what I remember reading in the editorial note to a print copy I picked up an my girlfriend's place a while ago - I know is was Hapgood's translation, but I couldn't tell you the editor.

The version above is pretty free of errors, decently formatted, and with pretty illustrations.
If you want a free one, I can't help.
Thanks. I just told Amazon to send a sample to my iPad which I will check out tomorrow. It's the D-- type words that blow the deal.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #34
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
My understanding is that the original did not. They were filled back afterwards as the editors and commentators figured them out. Some of those have never been 'filled in'.
Yeah, it was a really annoying feature of 19th Century lit; it was popular in Germany, too - where the Marquise von O. lived in the town of M. with her husband Col. G. and she later met Count F. then they went to his estate in W.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:30 AM   #35
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Of course! It gives this feeling of authenticity and at the same time doesn't give away any secrets!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:42 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Thanks. I just told Amazon to send a sample to my iPad which I will check out tomorrow. It's the D-- type words that blow the deal.
If that's the way the author wrote it, isn't it better to stick with it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Because it's annoying and it will make for an unenjoyable read.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #38
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
Putting aside the omitted text stylistics issue (D---), does anyone have an opinion on translations?

I'm slowly making my way through a Hapgood translation (from manybooks.net), but I'm not sure if it's the bare-bones formatting or translation slowing me down.

I don't want an abridged text, just something that flows naturally and is true to the original text. David Coward's Oxford World Classics Dumas translations were fine for me, as well as the Pevear Dostoyevsky translations in the 90s.

Not necessary that it be free, but that is a bonus.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #39
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Nobody has yet answered my question.

What version has all the words?
The Penguin Classics movie tie-in edition translated by Norman Denny fills in the names on the first page of the text, based on the sample I looked at. I don't know if there are any cuts in the text and can't comment on the translation.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #40
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Yep... I'd rather read books the way the author meant them to be read, rather than the way later editors decided it should be written.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:20 AM   #41
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
It goes back a lot earlier. Jane Austen does it a lot. Eg in "Pride and Prejudice", the militia regiment that Wickam is a member of is always referred to as the "-----shire" militia.
Authors have done it for dates as well. R.L.Stevenson has Jim Hawkins taking up his pen in the year 17-- which adds to the mystery of when the story is supposed to be set I think. People have made guesses over the years where the 'lsland' is supposed to be and no doubt not having a set year in the 1700's adds a layer of mystery to the story.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote