Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > EPUBReader

Notices

Old 11-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: none
New version available

The new version 1.2.0 is now available on the Mozilla website!

If you have EPUBReader already installed, it's updated automatically. To force the update, go to the Firefox menu "Tools/Addons" and click on "Update".

If you haven't got EPUBReader installed, you can install it from here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/45281. Make sure, you get version 1.2.0, sometimes it takes a little bit until all Mozilla websites are updated.

What's new?

Changes
- Colors and font size of the navigationbar on the left side are now configurable. When reading an ePub, click on the toolbar button with the gear.

- Width of the navigationbar can now be changed. When reading an ePub, just move the splitter between the navigationbar and the content frame. To collapse the navigationbar, click on the grippy in the middle of the splitter.

- Font-size of the ePub-content can now be changed. When reading an ePub, click on the buttons on the right side at the bottom.

- If you click on an external link in the ePub content, now a new tab is opened.

- EPUBReader is now more fault tolerant concerning the content of the ePub-files. Now there are less ePub-files which can't be read.

- In Firefox title now book title and author are shown.

- The ePub-Library-page can now also be opened via the Firefox menu "Tools/ePub-Library".

Bugfixes
- When using the EPUBReader navigation buttons, Firefox navigation buttons didn't work any longer. This is now fixed.

Your feedback is very welcome !

Michael
mikelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Thanks man, just tried it out and it works great. One request, is there any way to set the width of the navigation bar so that it centers the document instead of moving it to the right?
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosst Amojan View Post
Thanks man, just tried it out and it works great. One request, is there any way to set the width of the navigation bar so that it centers the document instead of moving it to the right?
Thanks for your feedback!

Yes, just click on the splitter, which is between the navigationbar and the content frame and move it to the position you want. If you want to collapse the navigationbar, click on the grippy in the middle of the splitter.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Just tried v1.20. Working fine on my desktop.
I had a problem not being able to open epub files on my local disk with v1.11. the problem still exists.
Another problem: The next page button (the green button on the lower bar) will respond to level 1 contents, but won't respond to level 2 contents. That means, if I am reading a page of TOC level 1, when I click the next page button, EPUBReader will present its next sibling. I can't get the same result if I am reading a page of TOC level 2.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:27 AM   #5
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
I had a problem not being able to open epub files on my local disk with v1.11. the problem still exists.
Ah okay. What exactly was the problem? The file is not processed, but the download dialog is opened?

Quote:
Another problem: The next page button (the green button on the lower bar) will respond to level 1 contents, but won't respond to level 2 contents. That means, if I am reading a page of TOC level 1, when I click the next page button, EPUBReader will present its next sibling. I can't get the same result if I am reading a page of TOC level 2.
Short explanation
Green buttons navigate through ePub "spine" linear from beginning to end, TOC links to any locations in the ePub and is separat from green buttons.

Long explanation
Here is a explanation how TOC and the green buttons work

The green buttons at the bottom navigate through the ePub-file according to the "spine" defined in the ePub. This is the linear way from start to end through the epub. If you use the green buttons, it's like you open the book at the first page and read it page after page.

In the TOC you find links to any pages which the author decided to be worth linking. Normally these are the book chapters but it can be any place in the ePub. Level 2 TOC entries are normally subchapters which are just anchors in a level 1 page. If you use the TOC, it's like you lookup the TOC in a book, open a location referenced in the TOC which can anywhere in the book and jump directly to this location.

What happens in your case?

If you click on a level 1 entry in TOC, you jump normally to a page which has a 1:1 correlation to a page in spine. If you click on the green button, it just jumps to the next page in spine.

If you click on a level 2 entry in TOC, you jump normally to an anchor which has no 1:1 correlation to a spine page. But this anchor is on a page which has a level 1 entry in the TOC and this page has a 1:1 correlation to a page in spine. If you click on the green button, it checks which page in spine correlates to the page you selected by clicking the level 2 entry in TOC and jumps to the next page in spine.

Why is it done like this?

Before I implemented it like this, I discussed it with Jon Noring, who is one of the main contributors to the ePub specification. He explained what the purpose of spine and TOC are and he confirmed it would be a good idea to implement it like this.
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 07:33 AM   #6
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelv View Post
Ah okay. What exactly was the problem? The file is not processed, but the download dialog is opened?
Yes, it's the download dialog. I reported the problem in the original thread, and I thought you remember it, so I didn't describe it in detail. Sorry.

As to the green button, if you are sure it's implemented as planned, not a bug, it's ok. I reported it as a problem because I thought it's strange.

Last edited by ericshliao; 11-19-2009 at 07:37 AM.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
Laisvunas
Enthusiast
Laisvunas began at the beginning.

Hi Michael,

After switching to XUL for EPUBReader's GUI the look and feel improved a lot!

I have several comments/suggestions:

1) There is several buttons scattered at the bottom of the window. Most of them will be rarely used. It would be better to have a submenu in "Tools" menu (as Firebug has) and place link to the options of TOC pane, link to EPUBReader's website, link to the library, and even increase/decrease font links as items of that submenu.

2) It would be better if the bottom bar displaying Previous/Next buttons were optional.

3) "Library" link should open a new tab, as the link to EPUBReader's website. Current behavior violates usability: the wish to open a library does not indicate the wish to close currently opened publication.

4) In the version 1.2 it is no more possible to open the same publication in the new tab by right-clicking on some link in the window. It seems to me that proper right-click support is essential to such epub reading soft as this. EPUBReader is for reading in browser, so it is reasonable for users to expect usual browser behaviors. Of course, implementing proper right-click support through iframes is not trivial, but after employing some tricks entirely possible.

Thanks for the great extension.
Laisvunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:12 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Love the new version. When I click on an entry in the TOC I would like the focus to switch back to the text page so that I can page through the current file using the space bar. I need to remember to click the focus back to the reading page.

Another item would be to remember where I am in the book so that if I leave it and return it would pick up where I left off. Perhaps that one is difficult. Maybe it would be easier if I could just tell it to remember.

Dale

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:10 AM   #9
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Quote:
Yes, it's the download dialog. I reported the problem in the original thread, and I thought you remember it, so I didn't describe it in detail. Sorry.
Did you already deinstall/install EPUBReader? It's a difference if you just update or install it new.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:39 AM   #10
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Hi Laisvunas,

thanks for your feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laisvunas View Post
1) There is several buttons scattered at the bottom of the window. Most of them will be rarely used. It would be better to have a submenu in "Tools" menu (as Firebug has) and place link to the options of TOC pane, link to EPUBReader's website, link to the library, and even increase/decrease font links as items of that submenu.
In my opinion the only buttons which are rarely used are the preferences and the help button. They could be moved to a Firefox menu but I prefer to have direct access, the space they use is not so large. Library button and increase/decrease font size buttons will be often used. Increase/decrease font size changes the font size just for the currently displayed ePub not in general. If you opened an ePub with small/large font size, I'm sure you don't want to go first to a menu to change this.

Quote:
2) It would be better if the bottom bar displaying Previous/Next buttons were optional.
These buttons are needed, because they offer the only garanteed way to navigate through the ePub from the beginning to the end. The TOC is not, because someone could decide to have just very rare entries in it and I have seen even ePubs without any entry. For an explanation how the buttons and TOC work, please check this posting https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...91&postcount=5.

Quote:
3) "Library" link should open a new tab, as the link to EPUBReader's website. Current behavior violates usability: the wish to open a library does not indicate the wish to close currently opened publication.
Okay, good point. What should be happen, if one opens a book by clicking on a link on the library page? Open again a new tab?

Quote:
4) In the version 1.2 it is no more possible to open the same publication in the new tab by right-clicking on some link in the window. It seems to me that proper right-click support is essential to such epub reading soft as this. EPUBReader is for reading in browser, so it is reasonable for users to expect usual browser behaviors. Of course, implementing proper right-click support through iframes is not trivial, but after employing some tricks entirely possible.
Do you mean the links in the TOC? What would be in your opinion the reason that one would use right click on TOC entries?

Quote:
Thanks for the great extension.
Welcome !
Old 11-20-2009, 06:49 AM   #11
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Thanks for your feedback, Dale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Love the new version. When I click on an entry in the TOC I would like the focus to switch back to the text page so that I can page through the current file using the space bar. I need to remember to click the focus back to the reading page.
Yes I know, this is annoying. It's already on the change list for the next version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Another item would be to remember where I am in the book so that if I leave it and return it would pick up where I left off. Perhaps that one is difficult. Maybe it would be easier if I could just tell it to remember.
Some other people asked already for this. Your are right, this is more difficult to implement. I'll put it on the change list with Prio 2.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:26 AM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelv View Post
Some other people asked already for this. Your are right, this is more difficult to implement. I'll put it on the change list with Prio 2.
I tried using the browser bookmark facility which does mark the book, but unfortunately does not mark the file you are on, much less the place in the file. Maybe this could be a solved with some intermediate capabilities. Glad to here it is at least on the list.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:00 AM   #13
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Quote:
Please try the new version: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62933
Please let me know, if the problem is fixed.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:18 AM   #14
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
1.2.2 bellyflopping on everything

I installed it by opening it with Firebox.

Sorry, unfortunately an error occured during processing your ePub-book .
Please help us improving EPUBReader and send the following information to epubread@gmail.com. Thank you!
------------------ start: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 12:14:55 GMT
store: begin
store: C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Prof iles\zk55ancf.default\epub\18\Command_Decisions.ep ub
store: end
zip: begin
zip: end
getContent: begin
readFile: begin, C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Prof iles\zk55ancf.default\epub\18\META-INF\container.xml
readFile: end
readFile: begin, C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Prof iles\zk55ancf.default\epub\18\metadata.opf
createNav: begin
readFile: begin, C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Prof iles\zk55ancf.default\epub\18\toc.ncx
createNav: end
storeEpub: insert into book(path, name, title, author, url, first) values("18", "Command_Decisions.epub", "Command Decisions", "Greenfield, Kent", "file:///C:/Users/Mike/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/zk55ancf.default/epub/18", "content/70-7_0.xhtml")
[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [mozIStorageConnection.executeSimpleSQL]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: file:///C:/Users/Mike/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/zk55ancf.default/extensions/%7B5384767E-00D9-40E9-B72F-9CC39D655D6F%7D/components/epubreader.js :: anonymous :: line 173" data: no]

Another booki:
Sorry, unfortunately an error occured during processing your ePub-book .
Please help us improving EPUBReader and send the following information to epubread@gmail.com. Thank you!
------------------ start: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 12:17:10 GMT
store: begin
store: C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Prof iles\zk55ancf.default\epub\19\19.epub
store: end
zip: begin
zip: end
getContent: begin
readFile: begin, C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Prof iles\zk55ancf.default\epub\19\META-INF\container.xml
readFile: begin, C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Prof iles\zk55ancf.default\epub\19\OEBPS\volume.opf
createNav: begin
readFile: begin, C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Prof iles\zk55ancf.default\epub\19\OEBPS\toc.ncx
createNav: end
storeEpub: insert into book(path, name, title, author, url, first) values("19", "19.epub", "Musa Piscatrix", "John Buchan", "file:///C:/Users/Mike/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/zk55ancf.default/epub/19/OEBPS", "Content-000.xml")
[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [mozIStorageConnection.executeSimpleSQL]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: file:///C:/Users/Mike/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/zk55ancf.default/extensions/%7B5384767E-00D9-40E9-B72F-9CC39D655D6F%7D/components/epubreader.js :: anonymous :: line 173" data: no]

Last edited by mrmikel; 11-22-2009 at 07:21 AM.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:36 AM   #15
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Thanks for your feedback Mikel!

Which version did you use before? 1.2.1? I guess not.

Please go to "C:/Users/Mike/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/zk55ancf.default/" and delete the subdirectory "epub" with all contents.

Unfortunately there seems to be a problem if you upgrade directly to 1.2.2. I'll fix this before I upload it to Mozilla.