Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-03-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
HattieLou
HattieLou began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Red face Can read epub or pdf, not both.

I have the PRS-505. Just got it last week and love it. I get my books from the Clevnet.org online library. DRMed PDF & Epub files.

Here's the issue: I can put the pdf file on the reader by itself and it reads fine. No issue. Same with the Epub. Yet, if both Epub & PDF are on the reader it renders one or both types unauthorized and leaving me frustrated and unable to read the particular book I wanted to read.

Basically, I can't read an Epub book unless I delete all PDF files and re-transfer the Epub book and vice versa. This is a frustrating issue and something I can deal with, just wondering if anyone else has noticed this problem and if there is a work around.

Obviously, since I can read the files when they are on the reader separately, that does mean that my 505 is authorized. I even tried deauthorizing and reauthorizing it to see if that would solve the problem. Even re-downloaded all the books to be sure. Didn't help. Just made it more clear that it is a compatibility issue.

Basically my reader won't let the Epub files and PDF files be on its main memory or an SD card memory without making one or both files unauthorized.

If any has any ideas I would love to hear them. Or even if this is just a problem that anyone else is dealing with, I'd love to know.

Thanks!
HattieLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Just want to make sure I understand the problem a little better.

Are the PDF and ePub files of different books or are they the same book (same author and title)?
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #3
HattieLou
HattieLou began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Different books.
HattieLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I will have to download a DRM pdf later today to see if I have the same problems. Can't think of why there would be a conflict.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:41 AM   #5
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself
Peter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it is

Device: PRS-505
I have seen reports of this problem. It is not really PDF vs EPUB - these are probably served by two different providers and current Sony firmware can only see loaned books from a single provider.
Peter Sorotokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
bump

Just because I'm curious about the answer.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:20 AM   #7
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sorotokin View Post
I have seen reports of this problem. It is not really PDF vs EPUB - these are probably served by two different providers and current Sony firmware can only see loaned books from a single provider.
Erk, I've just run face first into this one myself. So I can't have a library PDF and a library EPUB at the same time? My PDFs are showing fine, including the number of days until expiry, but the ePubs just show up as a 1 page doc, with restricted content.

Any work around other than swapping out my files? I read a LOT of library books on my PRS-505.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:37 PM   #8
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself
Peter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBoy View Post
Erk, I've just run face first into this one myself. So I can't have a library PDF and a library EPUB at the same time? My PDFs are showing fine, including the number of days until expiry, but the ePubs just show up as a 1 page doc, with restricted content.

Any work around other than swapping out my files? I read a LOT of library books on my PRS-505.
To tell for sure, I'd need a sample PDF and a sample EPUB. You are saying that they came from the same library?
Old 06-17-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
leslieyeh
leslieyeh began at the beginning.

Device: none
I've also run into this problem. I can borrow ebooks from the Boston Public Library (overdrive.bpl.org) in both pdf and epub formats. However, when I download the files onto my PRS-505 I can either read the pdfs and the epubs are restricted, or vice versa. I think whichever filetype I transfer to the device first "wins".

Just to be clear, all of the ebooks are coming from the same source. And I can read the material with no problem in both the Sony reader software and Adobe Digital Editions.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to work through the problem, and I too would be *really* interested if anyone has a solution.
leslieyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:55 PM   #10
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslieyeh View Post
Just to be clear, all of the ebooks are coming from the same source.
It way be the same library, but they may be served by two different servers and that would cause the problem. Unfortunately, I cannot say for sure without looking at the files.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #11
tench
Connoisseur
tench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toys

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'm going to bump this thread because I just ran into this problem with books I borrowed from the library. The epub books work and the PDFs do not. Has anyone come up with a solution? Does anyone think that removing the DRM would help? (Or would that just be a really bad thing to do to a library book even if I deleted the library book from my computer after I finished reading it?)
tench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:14 AM   #12
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sorotokin View Post
To tell for sure, I'd need a sample PDF and a sample EPUB. You are saying that they came from the same library?
I also would like to know about this.

So you would like to know.....

Which library the books were borrowed from.

Titles of the problem ebooks and their respective formats. (since this is an ebook from the library)

If this is what you need, maybe a member who has had the problem could supply the information?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:12 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'll give protected PDF and protected ePub a go on my 505. I've never had protected PDF on the 505. I've had some protected ePub though and that worked fine.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:21 PM   #14
cbstamm
cbstamm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Hi all - this is my first post on the board.

I just ran into this problem. I checked out an EPUB book from the Columbus Public Library and a PDF book from the Westerville Public Library. Both books show fine in Abobe Digital Editions, but when I transfer them to my PRS-505, I can only read one. The file I can read is the most recent file that I transferred. The other file shows that it is only one page long and if I try to read it says "Protected Page". I then retransferred the file that would not open and the situation reverses.

At least I know I am not the only one who has the issue ... I was thinking I did something wrong.
cbstamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:23 AM   #15
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I hadn't seen this thread, but I think this is the problem I've been having with PDF and EPUB files checked out from the San Francisco public library.

EDIT: Nope, that's not it. I can't read the PDF DRMs I've transferred using ADE no matter what. Last week they worked fine, now they don't.

Last edited by doreenjoy; 07-07-2009 at 04:36 AM.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote