Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-23-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
Do you get a second wind when switching from horizontal to vertical script?

Since I have noticed that there are other members of MR that read Asian languages, I thought I might ask this question here.
A few years ago I discovered that after reading an English or French book for a few hours and beginning to feel tired, I can take up a Japanese or Chinese book and start reading again feeling quite fresh. The only explanation I can provide now is that my eyes move left to right when I read English but they go top to bottom when I read Japanese since the lines are printed vertically, therefore using a different set of muscles.
I would like to know if others who read Chinese, Japanese or Korean (all vertically written languages) have similar experiences.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyglot27 View Post
Since I have noticed that there are other members of MR that read Asian languages, I thought I might ask this question here.
A few years ago I discovered that after reading an English or French book for a few hours and beginning to feel tired, I can take up a Japanese or Chinese book and start reading again feeling quite fresh. The only explanation I can provide now is that my eyes move left to right when I read English but they go top to bottom when I read Japanese since the lines are printed vertically, therefore using a different set of muscles.
I would like to know if others who read Chinese, Japanese or Korean (all vertically written languages) have similar experiences.
I don't read any right to left languages, but that would be a fascinating study for a PhD candidate in neuropsychology.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I can read English upside down (does that count)
(No I do not need to pay the laddy at the door for services not yet rendered).
(thank you).
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
Hi Pshrynk, you said:
I don't read any right to left languages, but that would be a fascinating study for a PhD candidate in neuropsychology.
Maybe those who do read right to left languages such as Arabic, Hebrew, Yiddish, Urdu might test themselves to see if they too get a second wind when switching to left to right languages.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:10 PM   #5
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
There is probably something to this, what with motor strain being tied to mental activity.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert