Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 04:10 AM   #1
jojobookreader
jojobookreader began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Question .jar format to MOBI

Hi,
I have downloaded some books in .jar format but am unable to do anything with them.
I was hoping to convert them to Mobi files to send to my Kindle but it seems Calibre cannot do anything with them.
Also, even if I just "double-click" them all I get it the error message:

"failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from ****.jar"

Any suggestions anyone??

regards, jojo
jojobookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Isn't .jar a Java archive (ie. a mobile phone game or utility) ? Try opening one of them with WinRAR or 7-Zip. If there's something that looks like HTML code you should be able to convert it somehow...

If you can't open any, there may be some form of DRM applied to them, I'm not sure. This format isn't very common. It's probably some relic from the pre-Palm and "PDA" days.

Last edited by DSpider; 01-07-2012 at 02:43 PM.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
.jar is indeed a Java Archive - some books have been packaged up so as to be readable on a mobile phone. The .jar contains effectively the reader and the book.

I would think most books of this sort could be sourced in a "proper" format rather than messing about trying to de-construct the packaging of the .jar.

Gutenberg have a Qioo format that is somewhat similar. I have unzipped a Qioo.jar archive and it contains amongst other things a text file called "data" which is the book in simple text format. As the text contains the usual Gutenberg headers it would be much easier to download the original text !

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:08 AM   #4
jojobookreader
jojobookreader began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thank BobC,
that is very explanatory. think i will look for the proper format in future.

jojo
jojobookreader is offline   Reply With Quote