Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-20-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
Synful
Synful began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Moving Calibre from one computer to another?

I just bought a netbook. I have Calibre 0.7.45 on my desktop full of books.

I just downloaded Calibre 0.7.46 to my netbook. I now have a few questions:

1. How do I move my Calibre library to my netbook, making sure to keep all my software settings from 0.7.45 to 0.7.46? I know that the library and the metadata is in the same folder, so I am thinking I would just copy and paste into the same directory on my netbook....but that doesn't take care of the software preferences such as certain columns, how I want the books loaded into my K3, etc.

I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks!

Last edited by Manichean; 02-20-2011 at 04:25 AM. Reason: fixed all caps in title
Synful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:12 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synful View Post
1. How do I move my Calibre library to my netbook, making sure to keep all my software settings from 0.7.45 to 0.7.46?
Check out the FAQ.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2011, 02:09 AM   #3
Synful
Synful began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Check out the FAQ.

That's great...thanks.
Synful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:30 AM   #4
curiousDave
curiousDave began at the beginning.

Device: none
But us there more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Check out the FAQ.
How about pre-configured plugins? Registry entries? I have Xalibre set up exactly as I want it on my (now failing) laptop and I want it exactly as is moved to my desktop? Are there factors other than the library??
curiousDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:44 AM   #5
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
There are no registry entries for Calibre, the FAQ covers all the files that need to be moved and will retain all your settings.

If you have exactly the same installation paths (and operating system) on your laptop and desktop i.e. the local configuration folder for Calibre where your settings and plugins are stored is the same, then you will not have to reinstall your plugins.

However if those paths differ (e.g. different user name, OS, drive letter etc), then you will need to reinstall the plugins. However if you have copied across the plugins folder then all your settings for those plugins in the various .json files will be preserved.

Note for plugins I am referring to "end user" plugins, like you can get from the forums here, not the ones built into Calibre which will be fine.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2011, 06:38 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
There are no registry entries for Calibre, the FAQ covers all the files that need to be moved and will retain all your settings.
Reviewing the FAQ it doesn't talk about copying the configuration directory. I recall Kovid talking about this because each computer is different and there is no knowing for sure what OS/setup is on each computer.

The GUI plugins and preference settings are stored in the configuration directory and if you follow the FAQ these will have to be redone.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:53 AM   #7
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quite right you are Walt, my apologies. I did bring it up, but I only briefly skimmed it applying a fuzzy paragraph matching algorithm which said "two paragraphs must mean it includes discussing config folders"

I'll go and put my glasses on next time.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:17 PM   #8
curiousDave
curiousDave began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ah. The famous unconditional "maybe." I'll try copying the configs but will expect to have to reinstall plug-ins. Now if I can just remember where I wrote all that down....

tHANKS
curiousDave is offline   Reply With Quote