Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-11-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
What kills a kobo?

I just had to exchange my new kobo (less than a week after getting it) because the screen went weird on me. The only thing I can attribute it to is having it sit next to (or even under?) a plugged-in but turned-off heating pad overnight. If I had known the kobo was this sensitive to temperature and/or electromagnetics, I would have been much more careful with it. So I wondering what else to be really careful with that I hadn't thought of.

Just how fragile is this device- what kills a kobo?
Dropping it obviously is bad- but would one drop on a carpeted floor kill it, or only repeated falls to a cement floor (that's how i finally did in my cell phone)?
Is an hour on a sunny window sill enough to fry it?
Should it never ever be left in a car for fear of getting too hot or cold, or can it stand temperature changes of +/- 10°C?
Is one drop of moisture a huge deal, or does it have to be a whole cup of coffee to drown it?

Opinions and experiences, please...
amo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #2
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Magnets, too- would a magnet screw up the eInk screen? A fridge magnet? A really powerful magnet? All of the above, none of the above?
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
I have a magnet on the front of the case my kobo is in. It's been in that case for months with no impact on the screen - and I'm sure many others have similar cases.

I fell asleep in the sun once with my kobo in full sun - when I woke up it was really hot to touch, but no damage. I did wonder how hot it could get - and I won't be making a habit of it.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Taking your Kobo deep sea diving, I imagine, would not be good for it.

Also, if you are taking it into the sun, be sure to use a 45 SPF.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Leaving it on the front seat of your car exposed to the rather hot and intense Australian sun.

A Kobo exposed to the internal temperature (60deg C) of a parked car for several hours would not be a nice sight to behold when coming back to said car.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 11:32 PM   #6
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
The screen has a glass substrate (thnk that's the terminology) ... so a single drop to cement could certainly crack it and ruin it. Just like my laptop a few years ago ...
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:04 AM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I'm pretty sure that Kobo will not blend. Leaving it overnight in my car when it is -40C probably would not be a good idea, either, though if it warmed up slowly it might be just fine.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Someone from Kobo had posted on this forum saying that the eink screens were VERY fragile - I'd say even more fragile than LCDs.

I even wonder how adequate some of these 'cases' are. Shouldn't they be ultra-padded to protect them from a fall? Some of these cases even have spots for pens/pencils and cards and I wonder if items put in these slots could somehow damage the screen?!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The screen itself is inset, so having a pen in the case should not matter as it may touch the frame, but not the book itself. I have dropped my reader, put it uncovered in my handbag and carried it around all day, without incident. I did purchase a case (the one that holds pens), so I now am more careful.

I don't hear much about broken reader screens after a fall etc as much as broken screens that seem to be a manufacturing defect--suddenly, without provocation, the screen looks wonky.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #10
amo
Teaist

So, no tanning, no swimming, no freezing, no using it for a basketball, and no moving to Australia.Got it.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:11 PM   #11
mamasue
Zealot
mamasue began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by amo View Post
and no moving to Australia.Got it.
There are many Kobo immigrants down here in The Colonies & we are hoping they will breed!

Last edited by mamasue; 11-13-2010 at 06:16 PM.
mamasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:12 PM   #12
amo
Teaist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasue View Post
There are many Kobo immigrants down here in The Colonies & we are hoping they will breed!
Old 11-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #13
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Also, if you are taking it into the sun, be sure to use a 45 SPF.
I did, but the screen was pretty smeared. SPF 30 was better.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:36 PM   #14
mwlcarter
Connoisseur
mwlcarter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
What kills a Kobo? Is this a trick question? The answer seems obvious... a Kindle 3. ;-)

Despite Amazon's claims of big sales of the Kindle (though undisclosed numbers), I can't imagine they're making much if any money off the hardware. Otherwise they'd make the K3 work with ePub, and decimate the competition in the ereader hardware market.

Unfortunately, I think they're barely breaking even on K3s, and the business model is tied to trapping customers at the Amazon bookstore...
mwlcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:09 PM   #15
SageTracey
Enthusiast
SageTracey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasue View Post
I've just been traveling in Western Australia for two weeks and was regularly asked about my Kobo and whether I would recommend them (of course!) So I think we will find many more down under Kobo users as time goes by.
SageTracey is offline   Reply With Quote