Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-29-2009, 09:27 PM   #16
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
Unfortunately for me the 300 is severely lacking, software-wise, and, in its current state, poorly executed. It's margins are huge and non adjustable, a absolute crime given the screen size. And again we have a Sony digital device without a search function? Inexcusable. Sony should look at the Jetbook to see how execute it. With all their resources behind them they can't do what a small company, Ectaco, can. Embarrassing.
The margins are not set by the device. The margins are set by the publisher of the book. Some books will have large margins, others will have small margins, but the margins aren't determined by the device.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:59 PM   #17
RWJ
Zealot
RWJ doesn't litterRWJ doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Akira - sorry, I'd actually read your earlier post about glare vs contrast, I clearly haven't had enough coffee today!
RWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:05 PM   #18
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJ View Post
Akira, have you seen it in person? It's very hard trying to make this decision going by YouTube clips and other people's opinions. So I appreciate being able to read what people think here, which is (for the moment) as close as I can get!
Then you will not know or be conviced until you see it in person. The initial videos really do not do it justice.

We are buying one for me, my new 505 goes to my wife, and we are getting a third 600 as a gift for my sister-in-law.
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:06 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floeee View Post
so how bad is this glare? is it possible to read outside in the sun?
I did have a look at the 600 vs the 505/300 and found the glare of the 600 to be less then the others.

The screen is not as sharp and the contrast is a little lower (than the 505), but it is a lot better then the 700 and if it is your first reader, I think the 600 would do well.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:37 PM   #20
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
The margins are not set by the device. The margins are set by the publisher of the book. Some books will have large margins, others will have small margins, but the margins aren't determined by the device.
All the loaded books I observed the margins were the approximately the same size: LARGE. In the end it is the fault of the software not to allow the user to set the margins themselves. On a 5" screen this is imperative. Here again Sony could learn from Ectaco. For instance, with the Jetbook, the user has the option of cutting the margins on PDFs. On most other formats it's margin is minimal. Ectaco, unlike Sony, has decided, wisely in my opinion, to utilize the Jetbook's entire 5" screen.

Last edited by akira28; 08-29-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:37 AM   #21
Floeee
Groupie
Floeee began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s *returned* / Sony PRS-505 *returned* / Asus eee PC t91
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I did have a look at the 600 vs the 505/300 and found the glare of the 600 to be less then the others.

The screen is not as sharp and the contrast is a little lower (than the 505), but it is a lot better then the 700 and if it is your first reader, I think the 600 would do well.
i bought the 505 yesterday and im not really happy with the page turning speed in pdfs and also with the view with middle or large fonts, pieces of the text were disarranged when a picture is at the side of the page

so im thinking of getting the 600 with the zoom function in pdfs

many articles in the internet also said that the 600 is not faster at page turning speed, but in the following video, the 600 is that fast in pdfs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKpl4wiG-Bs

its really awesome and i will get the 600 because of that

but in the video you can also see the reflections of his finger on the screen and that is really really bad

so it seems that the screen is much more reflecting than i thought and everyone is saying here
Floeee is offline   Reply With Quote