Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
nilis
nilis began at the beginning.

Device: prs 650
PRS-650 Not turning on!

My PRS-650 is not powering on, it is completely dead!!! I plug the USB cable into my laptop and nothing... Hope it is moist condensation and everything will turn to normal again... Any ideas on how to solve the problem safely? someone with the same problem?

Cheers
nilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

A couple things to try:

1. Use an AC adapter that allows you to plug the standard USB connector into it and the micro USB into the 650. Or just try a charger for a newer cellular phone that has a micro USB connector.

2. Try a different USB port or better still plug it into a desktop. If the laptop battery or power is below a certain level it might not charge the 650. Ensure the laptop does NOT go into sleep mode.

If you see the charge light come on then you are probably getting a charge. If no light comes on there is not enough current to charge the 650 or there is another problem. If the light comes on, let it charge for at least a couple of hours then try to turn the 650 on.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-10-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 02:32 AM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Try a reset?
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:41 AM   #4
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Blow in its ear?

(really should try jswinden and doreen's suggestions first.)
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilis View Post

My PRS-650 is not powering on, it is completely dead!!! I plug the USB cable into my laptop and nothing... Hope it is moist condensation and everything will turn to normal again... Any ideas on how to solve the problem safely? someone with the same problem?

Cheers
Some laptops are set in such a way that you cannot charge externally connected gadget from them if the laptop runs on a battery.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 05:01 PM   #6
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Those that suggested using an AC Adapter are correct. The old Sony readers had a built in failsafe, if you will, where if your reader got below a certain power level, the only way to charge it back up would be with an actual AC Adapter. Most cellphone microusb chargers will work with the new Sonys.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
kalex
Zealot
kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony
If the battery is completely dead usb port of a computer will not provide enough power to get it jump started. Use blackberry charger or any other wall charger that has micro usb
kalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:11 AM   #8
Vertigo
Enthusiast
Vertigo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O edition 2
According to my 650 instructions. It will charge from a computer usb even if totally discharged, but it may take up to 5 minutes for the charging message (or any display at all) to appear.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:05 AM   #9
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
And gadget manuals are always correct... personally I'll use my experience of eReaders, over the last few years, and go for using an external AC charger to deal with totally flat Sonys...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #10
hpjrt
Connoisseur
hpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watch

Device: kobo
So .... a cell phone AC charger with a micro usb connection will work?

I had tried a "standard" AC adapter into which you can plug usb cords ... but apparently it isn't the correct configuration for the PRS 650. The error message on the Sony screen said something about it not detecting any power.

Since then I've been looking online for an AC charger made specifically for the 650 ... without success.

If a blackberry [or other cellphone charger] will work for the 650 ... I'll go out and get one today! I like the flexibility of being able to charge with either the computer or good old AC.

Thanks for the info!

Mary
hpjrt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
condensation, power