Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-27-2010, 11:25 PM   #16
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
I've not been wise to these discounts although I don't think $1 off would push me to purchasing anything at the moment. I was encouraged by some other promotions to pick up a couple ebooks but at the moment I have enough public domain books or somewhat grey-market ebooks to keep me busy (I consider books I own physical versions of that I download from shady sources grey-market, the music industry hasn't convinced me to buy music twice so I can use my CD player and MP3 player, the publishing industry won't convince me either!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
I do have to admit (since we are private here) that Kobo has been responsible for me reading more fiction the past few months than I had for YEARS beforehand. My nightstand has computer books and mags, biographies, and other very non-fiction titles. But I have "explored" and purchased more fiction - from "majors" and from Smashwords and independent authors - and I am glad that I have experienced what I have with the Kobo.
That seems to be the case for a lot of ereader users as reported by WSJ.

It isn't really the case for me though, I don't think I read more or less than before ebooks but that's just cause I've always been a heavy reader. My brother who I also got hooked on a Kobo is probably in the same position as me, he just read a lot before so it isn't any more or less than before. I can see why it would drive more people to read more though.

I also think the idea of ebooks portable between multiple devices is another great way to encourage reading, I do the majority of my reading of my Kobo in the evenings but when I'm out waiting for appointments and the like I have opened up the Kobo app on my smartphone and read a few pages. I love this aspect of the Kobo ecosystem, I know Barnes & Noble, Amazon and now Apple with iBooks for the iPhone & iPad also implement the system but Kobo's is the most open which makes it my choice.
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:58 AM   #17
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I am reading more. My vision has really changed over the past several years, and despite the best efforts of my eye doc and several pairs of new glasses, the mechanics of reading a book made reading more difficult. The light weight of the Kobo and the font scaling has made a big difference. It's much easier to position the Kobo when I am lying in bed or sitting in a comfy chair then it was to do the same with a book.

That being said, I really, really have to lay off the book buying for a bit. These discount codes have made me reckless.

Last edited by taming; 08-28-2010 at 06:26 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #18
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eReader
this is bad, got a $2 coupon in my email and it was used within 5 minutes I really have to be more careful with my budget. So far these coupons have worked for almost any book I've tried. Most of the books I've purchased have ended up being under $7, Thanks Kobo!
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #19
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
I just used a $2 coupon. Whoopeee!

I got a book I was thinking of getting anyways.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:38 AM   #20
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wonder if the reason the coupons are coming now at a fast and furious pace has to do with it being the end of the quarter. I know Kobo likes to have their sales show up favorably in industry related articles (no surprise there).
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #21
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I wonder if the reason the coupons are coming now at a fast and furious pace has to do with it being the end of the quarter. I know Kobo likes to have their sales show up favorably in industry related articles (no surprise there).
I think I've been getting a steady stream of them for months now.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:54 PM   #22
taming
Trying for calm & polite

It seems as if I got one every two weeks or so, and now there have been 3 or 4 in quick succession. Of course it is a bit hard for me to know, at this point, since some of them I get in my own mail, and some of them I see on the board.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:53 AM   #23
Dave M50
Dave M50 began at the beginning.

Thumbs up Another user who loves to receive & apply coupons ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Is anyone else taking advantage of kobobooks.com regular discounts?
Like you, I've enjoyed receiving a couple of different offers lately, and yes each time I do appreciate and take advantage of them by buying more books. They do seem to work for more than just the suggested books, so you can use them for something you were going to buy at any rate.
Dave M50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #24
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I was able to buy another favourite author on Kobo tonight with trykobo providing $2 off.

Plus, Don Easton's mystery Loose Ends is available at $1.79.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:03 AM   #25
pleochroic
pleochroic began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, OLPC XO
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
If you buy books from the website, is there any way to pay for multiple purchases at one time? My wife seems to have to pay for each book individually...
there is no shopping cart, no. i sent feedback to kobo about that, because it actually keeps me from buying as many books as i otherwise would. if i can't load a bunch of books into my shopping cart at once, i can't easily see how much money i am spending, and i admit, i am disinclined to keep a running tally on a piece of paper, this being the computer age and the paperless office (*cough*) and all.

yes, i am using the coupons. the last $1 deal didn't work well for me; feedback said it was just meant for 1 book (which the ad didn't specify; if anything, the opposite). the recent $2 deal however worked fine, and when i complained that the $1 hadn't worked, they comped me a couple of coupons which was nice of them.

i keep a longish wishlist and compare that with prices elsewhere, and whenever there's a coupon i have a look, so this is quite a successful way for kobo to get me to buy books there.
pleochroic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:43 AM   #26
Samantha45
Connoisseur
Samantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I was able to buy another favourite author on Kobo tonight with trykobo providing $2 off.

Plus, Don Easton's mystery Loose Ends is available at $1.79.
I tried to use that code and it wouldn't let me.

I think it's actually

TryKobo
Samantha45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:25 AM   #27
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
So, are there any Kobo coupons available right now? There is a couple of books I want to pick up but I am hoping for more coupons.
Zyzomys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:24 AM   #28
taming
Trying for calm & polite

The $2 "trykobo" is still appearing on this site. It is not visible (to me at least) if I am signed in. I have heard it is one of those coupons you can use several times. I only used it once .
Old 09-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #29
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the "trykobo". I have used that one before and it will not work for me again.

I just received an email from Kobo this morning with another $2.00 coupon "Kobodesktop". I was only able to get it to work once though (and I wanted to buy books 2 & 3 of Michael Sullivan's Riyria series).
Zyzomys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #30
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
I love these coupons, especially the ones that are for 2 dollars off! Like a few others mentioned, I'm only able to get the coupons to work once. A few weeks ago I was able to use a coupon for a dollar off multiple times.
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discount, kobo books