Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2009, 09:20 PM   #1
silvervine
silvervine began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ebook reader
PDF's on the PRS 600

I live in Australia and will be buying the Sony PRS 600 next week (Late Xmas pres). However most of my books are PDF have no DRM, how do PDF's come out on the Sony and do I need specific software to convert to sony format? What are the pros and cons of the ereader. The only type we have in Australia is the iliad but Im NOT spending that much on a reader $800.00 - $900.00. I buy my books from various ebook stores and don't want to be stuck buying from one store eg Kindle - Amazon or having to have to pay to have the books I already have converted to be read on a Kindle. I have heard good things about the Sony ebook reader, what do you think of the reader?
silvervine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Sony and others have support PDF and PDF reflow. The reflow only works for text based PDFs. As long as they are text based they will open fine on the Sony and allow you to change font sizes. Reflow is not perfect and you will a few quirky formatting issues, mostly odd paragraph breaks and conversations that seem to run-on as one sentence.

If the PDFs are graphical or picture based you may not be happy with a 6" screen. The text will come out small and you would probably need to run it through a program to either crop the margins or convert to another format. PDF is not an easy format to convert.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
R0B_IX
Enthusiast
R0B_IX began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
I've recently started converting all of my textbook style PDFs to LRF and have been very pleased with the results (as far as reading goes). In a PDF, I was never able to get rid of the entire margin (probably my own fault), which resulted in a loss of ~1 cm around each side of the page. On a 6" screen, that's a huge loss. With the PDF to LRF converter (I found mentions of it on this forum), the pages are automatically resized to fit the width of my device and extended to multiple pages if necessary.

Sadly, this process removes my ability to highlight passages, so I may go back to fixing the margins eventually, but for now I am very happy with the readability of the books, even in portrait mode.

(As a side note, PDF reflow always seems to mess up equations in my books, so the utility of that feature is minimal there. As Grooks said, however, if you are dealing with an all text document, it might work well for you.)

Last edited by R0B_IX; 12-30-2009 at 08:55 AM.
R0B_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:39 PM   #4
silvervine

Thanks for the info! I have Adobe Professional so can change the formats of my Pdf's to text if necessary. This will be for reading pleasure only and the occassional textbook (mainly text) for work. So it sounds like it will be a good reader for me
Old 12-29-2009, 11:44 PM   #5
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
R0B_IX,

Check out soPDF, available in this forum, to do a really nice job of cropping margins on PDF files. I haven't checked to see if it will retain highlighting, but it should since it's a pdf > pdf process, thus no images like pdf2lrf.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 12:18 AM   #6
silvervine

Thank you will do that
Old 12-30-2009, 04:25 PM   #7
R0B_IX
Enthusiast
R0B_IX began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Thanks for the suggestion Chainring. The software worked well (it failed to process the first pdf, but the second one worked fine), so I've got highlighting with that tool. Sadly, it doesn't have an option to thicken the text, but maybe I can find a way to substitute fonts or something if I play with a few other programs.
R0B_IX is offline   Reply With Quote