Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
The iPad air feels lighter than the Retina Mini

Well, got my Retina Mini , use this site, seaturtle.org , to order it faster , thank me later ;-) ...

Let me tell you, the difference in weight is almost nothing. What I can tell is that believe or not, the Air feels lighter when holding it. Maybe because the weight distribution? More mass distributed over a larger area.

The Mini is way better for typing with your thumbs though . I'm using it right now to create this post. It's also better at bed if you watch videos or browse Internet.

The difference reading on the new Mini vs the old one is noticeable, but to be honest, not as dramatic as an old and bigger iPad.

*** EDIT ***

For reference, these are the models I am comparing:

-2012 old iPad mini , 4G version
-2013 iPad mini retina display, 4G version
-iPad air wifi only

Old mini is lighter than new one, and iPad air is heavier than the retina mini, a few grams.

Last edited by jocampo; 11-15-2013 at 09:53 AM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
Fanchee
Connoisseur
Fanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notesFanchee can name that song in three notes

Device: Aura H20, PRS-350, Kobo Aura HD
Thanks. Interesting observations. I didn't buy an iPad Air, as I was eagerly awaiting the retina mini. I picked up a retina mini on Wed. and it's everything I wanted my 1st gen mini to be. The screen is, as expected, miles better. It's a touch heavier, so I can see where one would think the Air is similar in weight.

I am almost sure that the size of the mini is more suited for me and my uses. But now that I actually have the retina mini in hand, I sure may take it with me to stores and do some comparisons.
Fanchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I've been reading some on my wife's mini trying to decide if I want the iPad Air or the Mini Retina. I have an iPad 3 at the moment. I don't actually hold it but rest it on my belly when I read so it's weight is not THAT big a deal to me.

I'm finding for reading books the mini's size is very nice. For almost everything else I prefer the larger screen. I'll probably go with the air.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I've been reading some on my wife's mini trying to decide if I want the iPad Air or the Mini Retina. I have an iPad 3 at the moment. I don't actually hold it but rest it on my belly when I read so it's weight is not THAT big a deal to me.

I'm finding for reading books the mini's size is very nice. For almost everything else I prefer the larger screen. I'll probably go with the air.
Got a question for you. Which screen do you like better in terms of color. iPad air or Retina. Mini? Asking because I noticed something tonight regarding that and would like to check with others.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #5
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
I'm looking forward to trying the ipad air in landscape mode on Marvin - so two page view, might work very nicely with the customisable margins etc.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Got a question for you. Which screen do you like better in terms of color. iPad air or Retina. Mini? Asking because I noticed something tonight regarding that and would like to check with others.
What did you notice? I'm reading reports on MacRumors that some are saying their iPad Air screens are more vibrant than their iPad Mini Retina screens. I'm curious if this is what you are seeing. As an amateur photographer who uses his iPad with photography stuff, this is very important to me. If Apple cut way back on the colors to make the Mini more affordable, then I will go with the Air instead.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline

The iPad air feels lighter than the Retina Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
What did you notice? I'm reading reports on MacRumors that some are saying their iPad Air screens are more vibrant than their iPad Mini Retina screens. I'm curious if this is what you are seeing. As an amateur photographer who uses his iPad with photography stuff, this is very important to me. If Apple cut way back on the colors to make the Mini more affordable, then I will go with the Air instead.
lol ...

I noticed that whites on the Mini are whiter. Is like the Mini's brightness is stronger? It was obvious last night when I was in the sofa. I checked brightness level on the Mini and was at same level.

I can be wrong but I think the displays are different. Not bad, just different.

Last edited by jocampo; 11-16-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
lol ...

I noticed that whites on the Mini are whiter. Is like the Mini's brightness is stronger?
Thanks. There is no need to laugh at the question though as it is a very legitimate one. I know my iPad 3 doesn't have what I would call vibrant colors. At least compared to other tablets and monitors. I'm hoping the Air and Mini Retina are much more vibrant. However, I guess a question like this is not going to get answered in this forum so I'll try to find some photography enthusiasts or pros to get a reply.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
I know my iPad 3 doesn't have what I would call vibrant colors. At least compared to other tablets and monitors. I'm hoping the Air and Mini Retina are much more vibrant.
Wouldn't you rather have a screen with an accurate RGB gamut rather than an artificially vibrant one (which I understand to be overly saturated) if your interest is faithful reproduction?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
You might find this article interesting.
http://www.laptopmag.com/review/tabl...a-display.aspx

Picked up an iPad Air & Mini Retina yesterday for my household. Amazed at how similar in weight they feel! Both screens are great. The Air colors match my iPad4 more closely than the Mini. However, the Mini only looks slightly less vibrant when you place them side by side.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #11
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Thanks. There is no need to laugh at the question though as it is a very legitimate one.
Sorry, not making fun of you, made me laugh because you are very perceptive, like me!

I am actually a photography enthusiastic , like you. I have a DSLR camera and love digital photography.

Give me a few days and I will give you my opinion. But honestly I have never thought about using iPads for out field picture uploading and review. I was actually thinking about buying and old but useful JVC device, small one, that let you upload the pics and has a small screen. I think I saved it on Amazon. I will find it later and PM you with the info.

Last edited by jocampo; 11-16-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #12
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I finally got my Retina today, been busy looking around the beast to try to figure out stuff and so far I'm pretty pleased. Just curious about a couple stuff though...
In any case I was thinking the same thing, this Ipad seems heavier than the Air which is of course nonsense but the mind is tricked into believing so.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #13
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
The Retina mini has the same color gamut as the non-Retina mini, which is narrower than the iPad Air (and iPad 4) color gamut.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7519/a...lay-reviewed/3
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #14
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thumbs up

That's a great review, as could be expected from AnandTech.

Virtually all other reviews falsely claim that iPad Air and iPad mini Retina are identical hardware-wise. As it turns out, that's not the case. To me, the superior screen on iPad Air would be another important point as to why one might prefer to buy an iPad Air instead of an iPad mini Retina as one's primary tablet.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #15
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
That's a great review, as could be expected from AnandTech.

Virtually all other reviews falsely claim that iPad Air and iPad mini Retina are identical hardware-wise. As it turns out, that's not the case. To me, the superior screen on iPad Air would be another important point as to why one might prefer to buy an iPad Air instead of an iPad mini Retina as one's primary tablet.
I own both! And besides the higher brightness on the Retina Mini, the screen looks fantastic on both! As a matter of fact, fonts have a higher contrast on the Mini. This is because the pixels are more compressed. Same goes for images. But again, both screens looks fantastic to me.