Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #91
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Carry on the discussion over here, please:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203690

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-24-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #92
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
To clarify, that's the discussion of self-published books, NOT the discussion of free mysteries and thrillers for Jan 2013. That stays here .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #93
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Just saw this as a splash screen at Books on Board:

Quote:
40% off list price on all discount eligible mystery, detective, and thriller ebooks! After Rewards Dollars plus promo code: bookends
Still probably not as good as the blanket 40% off that is available at Kobo through the end of the month with VoucherCodes40, but BoB has a slightly different selection and pricing, so might be worthwhile on a few books.
sufue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #94
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Just saw this as a splash screen at Books on Board:

Still probably not as good as the blanket 40% off that is available at Kobo through the end of the month with VoucherCodes40, but BoB has a slightly different selection and pricing, so might be worthwhile on a few books.
It's worth a look, but also worth remembering that at BooksOnBoard the discount are on the RRP, while at Kobo the discounts are on the current sale price.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #95
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Free story this week from Joe Lansdale is a noirish one, The Full Count. Part of his Roy Slater private eye series, originally published in Mike Shayne Mystery Magazine in 1978.

Free BTAP story this week is The True Story of Boy Kaleen by Patti Abbott.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #96
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I THINK this is a sale price, even though it seems to say not, because I think I would have bought this long ago if this were its normal digital price .

The Tainted Coin, the fifth book in the chronicles of Hugh de Singleton by Mel Starr, is $5.00 at Amazon right now. I read the first two books in this series in paper a while back, and enjoyed them a lot. (I do have a thing for historical mysteries...)

I have been keeping a half-hearted eye on the other ridiculously priced ebooks in the series for a while, hoping they will come down in price.

I just now noticed this one, the newest one (!), is $5.00 at Amazon, compared to $10.19 at BN, and $14.99 at Kobo - but couponable at Kobo, so it is $9 after VoucherCodes40 through the end of the month. Still, $5 is a lot better, so I pulled the trigger on this one, even though I haven't yet read the third or fourth ones, which are still at their stratospheric prices. Maybe someday...

Link here: http://www.amazon.com/Tainted-Chroni...dp/B00992Y9LG/

Description here:
Quote:
It is the autumn of 1367. Master Hugh is enjoying the peaceful life of Bampton, when a badly beaten man is found under the porch of St. Andrew's Chapel. The dying man is a chapman -- a traveling merchant. Before he is buried in the chapel grounds an ancient, corroded coin is found in the man's mouth. Master Hugh's quest for the chapman's assailants, and his search for the origin of the coin, makes steady progress – but there are men of wealth and power who wish to halt his search, and an old nemesis, Sir Simon Trillowe, is in league with them. But Master Hugh, and his assistant, the groom Arthur, are determined to uncover the thieves and murderers, and the source of the chapman's coin. They do, but not before they become involved with a kidnapped maiden, a tyrannical abbot, and a suffering monk – who needs Master Hugh's surgical skills and in return provides clues which assist Hugh in solving the mystery of the tainted coin.

Last edited by sufue; 01-25-2013 at 06:56 PM. Reason: added description, which I had forgotten
Old 01-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #97
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It's worth a look, but also worth remembering that at BooksOnBoard the discount are on the RRP, while at Kobo the discounts are on the current sale price.
You're absolutely right, and I was definitely thinking more of books that BoB has and Kobo doesn't. Still, every now-and-then BoB surprises me with a particularly good price...and/or Kobo with a particularly bad one!

Last edited by sufue; 01-25-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:38 PM   #98
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Free from PfoxChase Publishing: The Darkness by Bill Kirton, #3 in his Jack Carston series.

Quote:
This thriller won silver in the 2011 Forward National Literature Awards for Mystery.

For Andrew Davidson, tragedy marks a turning point...

He's a conscientious, respected G.P. but when his brother is found with his throat cut, his thoughts turn to anger and revenge. Known villains, who have managed to evade justice thanks to the efforts of one of Cairnburgh's cleverest lawyers, begin to disappear.

For Rhona Kirk getting on with her life means taking control...

A victim of rape, she starts a new life in Dundee but finds it difficult to shake off her past, and the men she's connected with also go missing. When the threats start, Rhona accepts help against her better judgment.

For DCI Jack Carston, putting the puzzle pieces together is a race against time...

He searches for the links between all these vanished persons, aware all the time of his own darker impulses and sensing the strong bond between himself and the vigilante. What he finds is beyond even his worst imaginings.

Will Justice still be blind when darkness invades the soul?
Old 01-27-2013, 04:15 AM   #99
NightBird
Wizard

Free Dead of Winter by P. J. Parrish. Originally published by Pinnacle in 2001.

Quote:
Available for the first time in eBook! Read the thriller that launched the award-winning New York Times bestselling Louis Kincaid series.

In the quaint tourist town of Loon Lake, Mich., a killer is taking his vengeance. One by one, the bodies of cops are found, brutally executed, with mysteriously coded death cards placed with each corpse – the gruesome signature of a psychopath. And the only sound louder than doors being locked against evil is the sound of hearts beating in terrors. Louis Kincaid came north looking for refuge, a place to forget his past. But now he’s landed in the middle of an investigation that’s a terrifying journey through a town’s fiercely protected heart of darkness.

2001 Edgar Award Finalist
Note: This is actually the second book in the series, contrary to the above description.

Last edited by NightBird; 01-27-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #100
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Gaudy Night by Dorothy L Sayers, one of the Lord Peter (and Harriet) Wimsey books, is $1.99 as the Kindle Deal of the Day today, Jan 29.

This is already posted in arcadata's affiliate thread, but I wanted to post it here too, since some mystery-loving folks might not read both threads. If you want to give arcadata the referral bonus, which I did, since I apppreciate her/his thread, the post about it is here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2401465

If you don't want to give the referral to arcadata, you can just go directly to the Kindle Deal of the Day.

BTW, is anyone else as puzzled/annoyed as I am that the Kindle Daily Deals have had romance, sci-fi, and kids special sections for some time now, but no mystery special section - just mixing the occasional mystery into their "normal" section. (And also no non-fiction special section, which is the other "category" I read, so totally bummed...)
Old 01-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #101
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Gaudy Night by Dorothy L Sayers, one of the Lord Peter (and Harriet) Wimsey books, is $1.99 as the Kindle Deal of the Day today, Jan 29.

BTW, is anyone else as puzzled/annoyed as I am that the Kindle Daily Deals have had romance, sci-fi, and kids special sections for some time now, but no mystery special section - just mixing the occasional mystery into their "normal" section. (And also no non-fiction special section, which is the other "category" I read, so totally bummed...)
Yes! I thought I was the only one with the same thought. Particularly disappointing is that there are no longer any non-fiction offerings. I purchased many titles when there was just one deal of the day -- I have purchased zero since it was changed to categories.

I suppose I should write to Amazon.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #102
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Doesn't work like that with the Amazon UK "Kindle Deal of the Day". We don't have categories - just one (or occasionally several books in a series) on offer every day, and it frequently includes mystery/crime novels. We had 4 books in a crime series offered as the deal of the day on Sunday, and there's another one today.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #103
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Until recently, it was the same here (U.S.). And although there was just one title offered, it was generally more appealing than any of those in the four categories offered now.

The more I think about it, the more inclined I am to write a letter to Amazon.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #104
KentE
...still a Zealot
KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pixi & PC
It never occurred to me to be puzzled/annoyed by the categories in the US Kindle Deal of the Day (but I will probably find myself so, now!).
What has consistently puzzled/annoyed me is that the description does not by default include the author's name-- and it's frequently not readable to me on the thumbnail of the cover, so I'm forced to click through to find it (and perhaps that's Amazon's clever plan....). Since my book choices are more author-driven than synopsis-driven, it seems a strange choice, and particularly unfair to the author. (The book title is more critical than the author's name? Really??)
I did email Amazon to ask about this a number of months ago, and got polite reply that they understood my comment, & perhaps they would consider a change to list the author: and I have noticed that the author is listed in the description more frequently (but far from always.) At least the Amazon answer I got showed evidence that they'd actually read me query & thought about it, instead of the form-letter response I expected to get.

KentE
KentE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #105
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Another category puzzler to me is checking the Western link, to look at western novels gives you more romance books than true Westerns.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote