Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-16-2009, 04:19 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
What books from Mobile Read have you read?

Just curious what uploads from here everyone has read and enjoyed so far? I have a ton I have downloaded which looked interesting but I just ahve not gotten to yet. The ones I have read:

- I am partway through the Complete Sherlock Holmes. I keep feeling like it will go faster once I get through the novels...

- I am also partway through the Tom Corbett omnibus. I have read book 1 and will read book 2 when I finish the one I am currently reading.

- I have read The Little Prince with illustrations. I loved it! And I loved how great it looked (with the illustrations!) on my Sony. I wish someone could upload the French version

- I have just started the Josephine Tey Inspector Grant books. I had to brush up on my War of the Roses history in Wikipedia this morning I am greatly enjoying the series and will definitely read the other ones.

I am so grateful to everyone who has uploaded books for me to enjoy. If I had the software know-how to do some for others, I would do it (I am on a Mac and am not sure what the options are). If anyone ever needs a beta-reader, perhaps I could contribute in that way.

So thanks for the great books! Which ones have the rest of you been reading?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The "Little House on the Prairie" books that Patricia uploaded.

A murder mystery that even included gathering the suspects in the drawing room, but I can't remember the name.

Several versions of the Bible.

"Maelstrom" and "Behemouth" by Peter Watts, books 2 & 3 of "Starfish" series.

Can't think of anymore titles right offhand.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
The Dhammapada

Alcoholics Anonymous (aka The Big Book)

Little House on the Prairie

Wilkie Collins: The Woman in White

Wilkie Collins: The Moonstone
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
everything offered in lrf or epub or prc, whatever I could get to work best in Calibre - of Alexandre Dumas, Talbot Mundy, Rudyard Kipling, Rafael Sabatini, A. C. Doyle, Thomas Bulfinch, R. L. Stevenson, Henryk Sienkiewicz, Johann Wyss, Daniel Defoe, E. P. Oppenheim, James Fenimore Cooper, Frederick Marrayat, Jonathan Swift, Edmond Rostand, H. Rider Haggard, Sir Walter Scott, Robert Bellem, Anthony Trollope, Robert Silverberg, Frederick O'Brien, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Anthony Hope, Richard Dana, Albert Payson Terhune, Jules Verne, Howard Pyle and a few G. A. Henty, some Dickens, Jack London and a few random others. Not too hard to see that my interests are mainly in adventure. I've read philosophy and I appreciate some poetry but I more stumble across poetry than look for it.

Got much appreciation for the uploaders. I sometimes forget to say thanks, I know that.

Half of those are not "old classics" I read in school or something - They're the best books I've ever read that I'm happy to have found in a well loved version I could read electronically.

Last edited by wayspooled; 07-16-2009 at 08:09 PM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
The entire Scarlet Pimpernel series by Baroness Orczy and Dr. Thorndyke series by R. Austin Freeman kept me busy for quite a while. I've also read "The Gentle Art of Cooking Wives" and three Chester K. Steele novels.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:10 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Under Milkwood

Thanks to Particia
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
I've sampled quite a few of the mysteries, and of the authors I hadn't read before I've become very fond of Edgar Wallace.
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:57 AM   #8
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
- I have read The Little Prince with illustrations. I loved it! And I loved how great it looked (with the illustrations!) on my Sony. I wish someone could upload the French version
There's a French version available (I think with illustrations) at ebooks libres et gratuits.
(note that the book is still copyrighted in France)
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:05 AM   #9
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I don't know if it helps, but although it is not yet in the public domain everywhere, it is free in Australia, and available on the Project Gutemberg Australia website.

Cheers,
David.

PS : I converted it to ePub for my Sony, and I would upload it here, but I think it is against the forum's regulations to post a not-quite-public book
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:09 AM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron View Post
I don't know if it helps, but although it is not yet in the public domain everywhere, it is free in Australia, and available on the Project Gutemberg Australia website.

Cheers,
David.

PS : I converted it to ePub for my Sony, and I would upload it here, but I think it is against the forum's regulations to post a not-quite-public book
MobileRead's servers are hosted in Canada, which has a life+50 copyright law. Since St.Ex died in 1944, the book is in the public domain there and we can host it on our server. if you've made an epub with the illustrations i think it would be a wonderful addition to our library.

obviously it is up to each individual member to decide whether it is okay to download the book according to their local laws.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:10 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
by the way, this text with the illustrations is also available on wikilivres here : http://wikilivres.info/wiki/Le_Petit_Prince
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:24 AM   #12
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
D'accord Zelda, merci !

Here it is, folks : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51483
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #13
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I've read a lot of the books that are on the MobileRead servers -- but read them long before I discovered MobileRead.

Of the books I've downloaded, here's what I've read so far:
Tom Corbet 01 - Stand By For Mars, Carey Rockwell
Tom Corbet 02 - Danger in Deep Space, Carey Rockwell
Emily of New Moon, Lucy Maud Montgomery
Emily Climbs, Lucy Maud Montgomery
Tom Corbet 03 - On the Trail of the Space Pirates, Carey Rockwell
Little Brother, Cory Doctorow
Mars Girl, Jeff Garrity
Neptune Crossing, Jeffrey Carver
The Bobbsey Twins, Laura Lee Hope

I'm part of the way through The Prisoner of Zenda by Anthony Hope, and I've sampled several other classics, but not read them through.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #14
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
MobileRead's servers are hosted in Canada, which has a life+50 copyright law. Since St.Ex died in 1944, the book is in the public domain there and we can host it on our server. if you've made an epub with the illustrations i think it would be a wonderful addition to our library.

obviously it is up to each individual member to decide whether it is okay to download the book according to their local laws.
Careful, for the Frenchies : As St Exupéry died during the 2nd WW, the delay in France is 100 years after his death ! (70+30)
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:05 AM   #15
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
A murder mystery that even included gathering the suspects in the drawing room, but I can't remember the name.
I would be very interested to know the name of that book.

I have downloaded several books from this site but haven't read them. Just now (after seeing this post) I downloaded Little House In the Big Woods. I remember reading this book with my 3rd grade class and LOVING it. I hated all school assigned reading but this is one of the books that sticks out in my mind. I never read the rest of the series, so I'm planning to work my way through the series.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote