Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-11-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Exclamation Calibre malfunction

I have the latest version of Calibre , 0.647. The last couple of days it have been... unstable.

It started yesterday, when I clicked on the shortcut and got the response: The file cannot be found. I cursed for a bit, but decided to click on the setup file, the setup process offered me the opportunity to repair Calibre. When I clicked on Calibre it worked. Or so I thought.
This morning? The same thing happend. And I have no idea what to now.

mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Do you mean the calibre.exe (I'm assuming windows, correct me if I'm wrong.) couldn't be found?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Sounds like you have something on your system removing files that it should not! I would suspect a virus checker - but it could also be malware.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:38 AM   #4
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
As others have suggested, check to make sure you're AV/AM program hasn't decided to mark the program as suspect and quarantined it.

Also, check your filesystem to make sure you don't have corruption. The couple of times I've had issues like this the hard drive was dying.

Last, you might want to note what version of Windows/Mac OS/Linux distro you're using.
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
I think I know what happened.

I had Norton 360, but it expired and I didn't have the money to renew it. So I downloaded the trial version of AVG 9, but I didn't uninstall Norton. AVG probably quarantined Calibre.

Anyway, I decided to uninstall AVG and buy Kaspersky instead.
Kaspersky is installed, Calibre is repaired.
The problem is that Kaspersky classified Calibre as riskware. So far it is working. We will see if it still is tomorrow....
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaelalind View Post
I think I know what happened.

I had Norton 360, but it expired and I didn't have the money to renew it. So I downloaded the trial version of AVG 9, but I didn't uninstall Norton. AVG probably quarantined Calibre.

Anyway, I decided to uninstall AVG and buy Kaspersky instead.
Kaspersky is installed, Calibre is repaired.
The problem is that Kaspersky classified Calibre as riskware. So far it is working. We will see if it still is tomorrow....
AVG 9 does not have any problem with Calibre on my systems.
You should not have 2 of any anti-whatever active at the same time.
You will need to go to Symantec and get the remover tool, otherwise you will have remnants of the yellow cr*p still infesting your machine.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:03 AM   #7
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Yes, theducks is absolutely correct. Never run two anti-virus programs as they interfere with each other. Also, as stated, you must remove Norton using the special removal tool on Symantec's site. Using Add/Remove Program, or an Uninstall option in the Start Menu, will not actually remove all of the bits and pieces of the program. Symantec designed things this way.

I would suggest going to AVG's site and seeing what they require for you to uninstall AVG. Download any needed software, print any instructions (you will be offline so a printout is necessary). Download the latest free version of AVG - do not install it. Just download the installation program.

Go to Symantec's site and do the same thing.

Disable your internet connection (disconnect the internet wire into your computer, remove the USB wireless thing, or disable it via Windows - but only if you know the security password to reconnect) and then reboot your computer.

Remove AVG as instructed. Reboot. Remove Symantec as instructed. (You need to remove AVG first because otherwise it might interfere with Symantec's removal tool.)

After removing both anti-virus programs, reboot. You're trying to make sure that everything is cleaned out. Rebooting forces Windows to do some housecleaning.

Now install AVG. Reboot. Re-connect to the internet. (If you disabled the internet connection via Windows, you will need to re-enter the security password to access the internet.) Update AVG and it's virus defs.

Run a full system virus check. (While extremely unlikely, it is possible while running two AV programs to become infected as each program interferes with the other's attempt to handle the infected file.)
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:26 AM   #8
rollercoaster
Zealot
rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
I use AVG 9 all the time too. It that helps.
rollercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote