Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
doc_mart
doc_mart is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle II
Which SD card for bootable CM7?

I have seen varying opinions on size and class of SD card for running CM7. Someone actually said class 10 did not work well.

Can I get some input on what card (even company) to purchase? What is the minimum and optimal size, etc.

Thanks, and yes, I searched...
doc_mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I'm having trouble finding specific recommendations myself, though I'll probably end up with a stock/CM7 dual boot from internal memory and using the card for shared storage.

The issue as I understand it is that the 'class' of SD card refers primarily to sequential write speed, which is the most important benchmark for use in digital cameras (and I think for a storage drive in general). The key benchmark for an Android system drive, however, is the speed of small, random writes. Manufacturers don't seem to be optimizing or even measuring this benchmark, nor is it clear what constitutes a good, adequate or poor speed for use with the Nook.

If anyone has assembled these benchmarks and/or compared them to actual performance on the NC, I haven't found it yet.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
doc_mart
doc_mart is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle II
Apparently due to its small block random write speed, people are finding the Class 4, 8 G Sandisk to be optimal for running CM7.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1005633
doc_mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
After switching to a Kingston Class 4 8gb card, my Nook Color runs much better.

Although Pandora still refuses to run, Slacker Radio runs fine. Shrug.

It would be nice to have Pandora as I already have several stations programmed there, but I can live without it (or switch to the native Nook OS when I really want it).
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:58 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
After switching to a Kingston Class 4 8gb card, my Nook Color runs much better.

Although Pandora still refuses to run, Slacker Radio runs fine. Shrug.

It would be nice to have Pandora as I already have several stations programmed there, but I can live without it (or switch to the native Nook OS when I really want it).
Try using a SanDisk card - either class 2 or class 4.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
timothyh
timothyh is on a distinguished road

Device: nook color, nook touch, sony 350
I'm using a Patriot class 10 8gb card. Everything runs perfectly, but eventually starts crashing. Cache delete slows the problem, but only a reboot solves it until the next time. Do not use this card. Pandora does run perfectly, though.
timothyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #7
timothyh
timothyh is on a distinguished road

Device: nook color, nook touch, sony 350
Purchased a SanDisk 4gb class 4 card. Have been using it all day with no problems. Tried Pandora--signed in and it crashed. Again accessed Pandora and it signed me in and is working fine. Purchased card at Best Buy for $13. Seems to be the solution.
timothyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #8
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
One user in the XDA thread doc_mart linked got good small block writes from a Sandisk class 4 16GB. They're sold out all over the internet (avoid untrusted sellers--there's a huge counterfeit SD market), but can be found at US Radioshack stores.

I got the last one from my local store, and am waiting for my NC to get a full charge before I start trying out some ROMs. My first move will be to attempt running CWM and PhireMod CM7 from SD.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:07 PM   #9
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
This is the SD card that we're using for CM7 (one for my husband and one for me):

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-MicroS...reative=392969
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote