Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
omnivorous
omnivorous began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Exclamation Command Line problems: ebook-convert, ebook-meta with tags: --series, --series-index

I think I have found bugs in both ebook-convert.exe and ebook-meta.exe relating to the --series, --series-index and --index tags.

I'm using calibre version 0.7.26 on Windows XP

I tried to create a mobi file with all the meta data, but the series data is not stored.

Here is what I did first :
---------------------------

"C:\Program Files\Calibre2\ebook-convert.exe" "C:\Temp\eBookScan.htm" "C:\Temp\eBookScan.mobi" --cover "C:\Temp\Cover_Gray16.jpg" --output-profile kindle --isbn "0552083879" --authors "Louis L'Amour" --title "Mustang Man" --publisher "Transworld Publishers Limited" --pubdate "1985-11-15" --tags "Fiction, Westerns" --language "en"

This worked, and all the tags were stored.

Then when I added the tags for series and index:
------------------------------------------------

"C:\Program Files\Calibre2\ebook-convert.exe" "C:\Temp\eBookScan.htm" "C:\Temp\eBookScan.mobi" --cover "C:\Temp\Cover_Gray16.jpg" --output-profile kindle --isbn "0552083879" --authors "Louis L'Amour" --title "Mustang Man" --publisher "Transworld Publishers Limited" --pubdate "1985-11-15" --tags "Fiction, Westerns" --language "en" --series "The Sacketts" --series-index "6"

This seemed to have worked, but the series data is not stored:

I also tried adding the series data using the ebook-meta.exe program.
Note that the --series-index parameter in this program is actually --index.

Here is what I tried:

"C:\Program Files\Calibre2\ebook-meta.exe" "C:\Temp\eBookScan.mobi" --series "The Sacketts" --index "6"

This did not work, it showed the "Original metadata" and "Changed metadata" to be the same.

Finally, I just used the --comments tag to store the series information until this is fixed, as in:
--comments "The Sacketts Series, #6"

Later I can do a batch meta update script to automatically pull this out and write it correctly into the series fields.
omnivorous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Are you sure that mobi actually supports series metadata? I've looked at the wiki entry, which seems to indicate that it doesn't.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2010, 09:19 AM   #3
omnivorous

Calibre User Manual needs to be adjusted for Conversion to MOBI

Thanks Manichean for your response, and the great link to the wiki entry.

I was working from the online Calibre User Manual page for HTML to MOBI conversion, which has both --series and --series-index

But I agree with you on the wiki entry, I cannot see any mention of book series in the EXTH record types. However, there are a lot of unknowns in there and this wiki is unofficial. Perhaps a later version of the format will have the series.

So perhaps, for now, the Calibre User manual needs to be adjusted for Conversion to MOBI to exclude the mention of --series.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Hm. My suggestion would be asking in the Mobipocket subforum if anyone knows for sure, or waiting until someone else chimes into this thread. You could also search for a program suite I remember from when I was using Mobipocket called Mobiperl. If that supports series metadata, then Mobipocket should as well.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
omnivorous

Thanks again, I read the perl code in the MobiPerl program file exth.pm, as referenced in https://dev.mobileread.com/trac/mobiperl without finding any "series" information, so I have come to the tentative conclusion that it is not there in the mobi format.

I have written a Groovy program to clean up the html of my books and call the various calibre command line programs, so in the future I can easily come back to this problem and automatically read the series information I have stored in the mobi comment field and save it somewhere else, or use it in the book filename for sorting.
Advert

Tags
--index, --series, --series-index, command line