Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-12-2011, 05:57 AM   #1
edzard
edzard began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
rooting for note export ability

Hi!

I bought a nook touch, and as of now most read policy papers on it for my work. I've been doing a lot of highlighting and note-taking, and only just found out these notes cannot be exported or synchronized to a computer, oops...

I understand that there is probably no way to recover the notes I have already made, but I need this feature for future work. I bought the nook partially for the attractive prospect of easy highlighting, note-taking and searching through notes without having to stare at a computer screen all day, and I never bothered to check if exporting notes was possible, because it seems like such an obvious feature.

I am willing to go through the trouble of rooting my nook if this makes it possible to export and search through my notes and highlights. I am not very technically inclined though, so I only want to invest the time into finding out how to do root the device if it makes it possible to install an app that does allow for easy exporting and sorting of notes. I did read in some other threads about note-taking on pdfs, but I am specifically focused on exporting notes. I don't care if the app can do it on pdf's or epubs, because most of the stuff I read can be converted without too many problems.

Thanks!
edzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:05 AM   #2
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
Try the Nookstudy program for your computer and see if it will allow you to transfer your notes, but I doubt it will let you transfer much of the highlighted stuff due to DRM issues.

What I do is use Calibre plugins to remove DRM, and then put the books in the Sony desktop software. This software will allow you to send your notes and highlights to a rtf file on your computer, which can then be printed out and saved for later reference. The Sony software is a bit buggy, but it is the best I have found for this purpose. Of course, you cannot use a nook with Sony software. You would have to buy a Sony reader or just read your books and do notation on your computer.

I don't know anything about rooting, but I do know the Sony reader for android is still in its infancy and not worth the bother.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
edzard

Quote:
Try the Nookstudy program for your computer and see if it will allow you to transfer your notes, but I doubt it will let you transfer much of the highlighted stuff due to DRM issues.
All the policy papers are drm free, so that shouldn't be a problem. unfortunately nookstudy does not work with the nook touch, so that is not an option.
Quote:
Of course, you cannot use a nook with Sony software. You would have to buy a Sony reader or just read your books and do notation on your computer.
I bought an ereader so I do not have to use a computer or print endless stacks of paper to read and annotate, and since I bought the nook I am sort of stuck with it and buying a sony reader isn't an option. Does anyone have experience with android apps that easily export and sort notes and would make it worthwhile to root?

Last edited by edzard; 10-12-2011 at 09:30 AM. Reason: added quotes for legibility
Old 10-20-2011, 04:26 AM   #4
shibamistress
Groupie
shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KSO (3G), Nook Color, android apps
I use Evernote, simply because it was easy to find and free, and I started out using it on my MacBook. But I just set up my Nook Color as an Android Tablet (SD card method) and I downloaded Evernote from the Android market, logged, in synced, and in less than a minute, all my notes were there.

However, these notes were not, of course, highlighted from a book or paper, but I have taken stuff from websites, and any documents I have (copy and paste). I don't know that this will really suit your needs, but it might be something to investigate, anyway.
shibamistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
linux_author
Connoisseur
linux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Nook Touch, N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by edzard View Post
I bought an ereader so I do not have to use a computer or print endless stacks of paper to read and annotate, and since I bought the nook I am sort of stuck with it and buying a sony reader isn't an option.
the manufacturers and publishers will figure out commonsense features like exporting ideas and research from ereader content one of these days, but right now they're more interested in protecting IP and installing DRM
linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
edzard

Quote:
I use Evernote, simply because it was easy to find and free, and I started out using it on my MacBook. But I just set up my Nook Color as an Android Tablet (SD card method) and I downloaded Evernote from the Android market, logged, in synced, and in less than a minute, all my notes were there.

However, these notes were not, of course, highlighted from a book or paper, but I have taken stuff from websites, and any documents I have (copy and paste). I don't know that this will really suit your needs, but it might be something to investigate, anyway.
After playing around with different readers I switched to mantano reader. I like the fact that changes you make in both repligo reader and ezpdf reader are actually stored in the pdf, so changes you make can also be synchronized to my computer through dropbox, but their reading experience isn't very good on an e-ink reader due to all the page flip animations. Mantano is more easy on the eyes in that regard. Notes can only be synced through ADE, which is a pity, but I'll stick to this reader because it makes the reading and note-taking relatively painless, which is the most important part for me. But thanks for the suggestions!