Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-31-2007, 11:21 PM   #1
DropDeadFred
DropDeadFred began at the beginning.

Device: EBW1150, REB1200
Home at last.

Hey, I'm new here, just found you guys. I didn't know there was anyone else out there actually using one of these things still besides me. Every now and then when I see a new article about ebooks I go looking around for the next greatest thing and always end up realizing there is nothing better than my $100 GEB1150/eBookWise. It was the Kindle that got me looking this time - expensive crap.

In case you can't tell - I love my GEB! I like the size, shape, feel and most of all the backlight! Sure the new guys have nice screens, but that is about the only thing better. 3 years ago when I started shopping around for a reader I'll admit I wanted a big, black on white screen, but the ergonomics on the Sony Reader are a joke and most of the others too.

I remember reading some lady's post somewhere about how she used her GEB1150 as a flashlight. I thought that was a little odd at the time. Now I do that on a daily basis. With 4 kids it is much simpler to grab the GEB in the middle of the night to go check on a crying little one - no need to turn on the lights and wake up the rest of the family. My wife is much happier with me reading in bed with the GEB instead of a bedside lamp.

I am just venting a little after reading all the reviews on the new overpriced readers that don't do the job half as well as a GEB. Or the silly comments about how ebooks will never replace real books. I've read 4 real books in the past 30 months or so and probably around 100-120 on the GEB. Real books are a real pain, IMO.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling now.
DropDeadFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:41 PM   #2
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
Thumbs up

Welcome! I'm fairly new here too, and like you, I am enjoying the EB1150. I don't know if I'll get an e-ink device or not. This one is so sturdy, so handy, so simple to use. The others seem fragile, pricey, and frankly, I like the way I can hold this thing with one hand and press the buttons so easily. The backlight is great. For now, I'm content, although, being a sort of gadgetgeek, I may have to get one of the others at some point, especially if the prices start to come down.
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2008, 12:45 AM   #3
DropDeadFred
DropDeadFred began at the beginning.

Device: EBW1150, REB1200
Yeah, I don't think I would toss my a $300 Sony ten feet across the room into my favorite reading chair on the way to the kitchen like I do with my 1150.

But, all fervor aside, I agree the gadgety aspect of the whole reader concept will force me to try something else eventually. I think my best plan would be to get one of the new ones for my dad and see how I like it in the process.

Happy New Year!
DropDeadFred is offline   Reply With Quote