Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
julia103
Connoisseur
julia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Question Sony Library and ADE

Firstly, thank you to whomever mentioned that Fictionwise sells Secure EPUB. It's not mentioned as a separate format on their list of formats and I had assumed Secure Adobe meant PDF, since I've seen more of them. As a result of a post on MR (sorry, I don't remember which thread to thank the specific poster) I was able to take advantage of several of Fictionwise's 100% rebates in their most recent sale.

Now the question:
I already had ADE loaded on my computer and had used it for books from the public library (Overdrive).
I had heard that the newest Sony Library software was integrated with ADE, but when I downloaded the e-pub books they went into ADE and not into the Reader Library. The multi-format books downloaded into the My eBooks folder and could be imported into the Reader Library. Is there a way to get all my purchased books to show up on the Sony Library?

This isn't a huge problem - I'm used to having books from the public library (Overdrive) listed in ADE and not in the Sony library, but I'm wondering if I should have done something to get them together when I downloaded the Sony update last month. I'm not very techie and I don't remember seeing any prompts about ADE.
julia103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Yup, just go to "File," then "Import Files," and browse to select your books.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
I think if you want the sony software to automatically handle epub files you have to associate it with them. You can do this from the edit>preferences menu. Personally I prefer using ADE for downloading and calibre for everything else.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:36 AM   #4
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Usually when downloading a DRMed ePub from a shop, then the shop has to use acsm-files for download and ADE reads the acsm-file and then starts the download of the real ePub-file. I don't know if Sonys eLibrary is able to handle that special ADE-download files (*.acsm) correctly.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
julia103
Connoisseur
julia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
(all three answers)

The epub files from Fictionwise did have the acsm first.

I also hadn't realized that after the actual book file downloads in ADE it goes to a folder "My Digital Editions" on my hard drive. So after it's gone to ADE I can import it to the Sony library. I'd been using File->Import for the non-DRMed books which I've bought or downloaded from sites other than Sony because I knew where to find them, but I hadn't realized that the DRMed books went into a different folder.

I didn't have the epub file association checked in preferences in the Sony software. I've now checked it, so we'll see what happens the next time I buy a DRMed epub. (It'll probably be a while though.)
julia103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
I don't know if Sonys eLibrary is able to handle that special ADE-download files (*.acsm) correctly.
It can.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:24 PM   #7
garyg007
garyg007 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
I don't know if Sonys eLibrary is able to handle that special ADE-download files (*.acsm) correctly.
Yes it can. I download the .acsm file to my desktop then
right-click it-->open-with--> 'reader library'
garyg007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:00 PM   #8
chedva
chedva began at the beginning.

Device: sony ebook touch
So, just to make sure this newbie has it straight - the PRS-600 can read the Secure EPub books from Fictionwise? Just need to be transferred from ADE?
chedva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:48 AM   #9
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chedva View Post
So, just to make sure this newbie has it straight - the PRS-600 can read the Secure EPub books from Fictionwise? Just need to be transferred from ADE?
Yes, at least it works with my PRS-505 that way.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote