Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-10-2008, 06:50 AM   #1
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
PVI screen shipments: the real(?) numbers

Vladimir Levchenko of the MUK company (makers of the lBook - Ukrainian version of Jinke's Hanlin) was quite sceptical of the much touted Evan Schnittman's estimate on Kindle and Reader shipments. He provided his own numbers, reportedly directly from his talks with PVI management.
Quote:
Currently PVI produces around 20000* screens per month. Yield is about 63-68% - a very low number. Half of the defective screens is recycled, another half is sold at a $15-$20 discount.
These numbers are much closer to reality.
From the start of production and until April 2008 Lenovo** has shipped approximately 55000 Kindles.
* it's not clear if the number is total production or only screens that passed QA.
** he says Lenovo is part of the FoxConn/HonHai conglomerate.

Well, I'd take this with a grain of salt (he's been wrong in some of his claims before), but these numbers are much more beleivable to me.

Last edited by igorsk; 06-10-2008 at 06:53 AM.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That sounds much more realistic. We know (from peoples' order numbers) that Bookeen are shipping around about 2000-3000 Gen3's per month, which would equate to 10-15% of PVI's screen output. If Amazon are getting, say, 50% of the output (10,000 screens a month) that would put their Kindle sales at about 3-5x what Bookeen are selling, which seems reasonable to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2008, 11:47 AM   #3
chef
Enthusiast
chef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That sounds much more realistic. We know (from peoples' order numbers) that Bookeen are shipping around about 2000-3000 Gen3's per month, which would equate to 10-15% of PVI's screen output. If Amazon are getting, say, 50% of the output (10,000 screens a month) that would put their Kindle sales at about 3-5x what Bookeen are selling, which seems reasonable to me.
I think these numbers are quite low by a drastic amount. But your math doesn't match up with the OP anyway. Bookeen sells 2000-3000/month. Amazon sells 3-5x more than Bookeen. That means Amazon has sold somewhere between 6000-15000/month. They have been selling for almost 7 months now. So that means there have been between 42000-105000 sold by Amazon. 50k is quite low in that range.
chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:26 PM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Vladimir Levchenko of the MUK company (makers of the lBook - Ukrainian version of Jinke's Hanlin) was quite sceptical of the much touted Evan Schnittman's estimate on Kindle and Reader shipments. He provided his own numbers, reportedly directly from his talks with PVI management.

** he says Lenovo is part of the FoxConn/HonHai conglomerate.
The same Lenovo that bought IBM's laptop business?
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:28 PM   #5
Walk Broad
Connoisseur
Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Tablet PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef View Post
I think these numbers are quite low by a drastic amount. But your math doesn't match up with the OP anyway. Bookeen sells 2000-3000/month. Amazon sells 3-5x more than Bookeen. That means Amazon has sold somewhere between 6000-15000/month. They have been selling for almost 7 months now. So that means there have been between 42000-105000 sold by Amazon. 50k is quite low in that range.
Which is probably why Steve Bezos isn't bragging about (or releasing) sales numbers right now.

Not that 100,000 (guesstimate) is anything to sneeze at for a new device, in fact, in pre-iPhone days, that would probably be a respectable number. But it is hardly knocking sales out of the ball park.

He's keeping sales figures quiet as to not scare off Amazon investors who would probably start to question the Kindle.

Unfortunately, in today's world, if something isn't a run-away bestseller or immediate box office block buster, or sells 1,000,000 units in 30 days for example, investors start to get antsy.

And even though the Kindle is selling consistently (good, stable numbers for (probable) long term success), Amazon doesn't need investors crying to the press saying the Kindle is a "failure" because it didn't post huge sales numbers.

Last edited by Walk Broad; 06-10-2008 at 02:29 PM. Reason: spelling error
Walk Broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2008, 02:33 PM   #6
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk Broad View Post
Which is probably why Steve Bezos isn't bragging about (or releasing) sales numbers right now.
Someone really wants an Apple designed Kindle
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:20 PM   #7
Walk Broad
Connoisseur
Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Er, actually, no.

Whereas I think Apple entering the e-book market would be a tremenodus boon for e-books and reading devices overall, I'm waiting to see the Astak model or will be getting the eBookwise 1150 if the 5-inch Astak doesn't live up to expectations.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:32 PM   #8
Bob.Zune
Bob.Zune began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook Gen3
Since the Kindle and Cybook Gen3 and Sony readers are all "relatively new," my general rule of thumb for equipment sold (ratios) is the comparing the number of people browsing each of the forums over a period of time (say every hour for a day or two, or same clock-time over a few days). Within a small percent error, this *should* give us the ratio of the number of units sold on each.

Perhaps it is too 'statistical' for some people.
Bob.Zune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:28 AM   #9
chef
Enthusiast
chef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Er, actually, no.

Whereas I think Apple entering the e-book market would be a tremenodus boon for e-books and reading devices overall, I'm waiting to see the Astak model or will be getting the eBookwise 1150 if the 5-inch Astak doesn't live up to expectations.
If you don't go with Astak, I don't want to hear any complaining about eyestrain.
chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:14 AM   #10
Walk Broad
Connoisseur

There are eyestrain problems with the eBookwise 1150?

No one told me!

I sure hope Astak comes through then
Old 06-11-2008, 04:21 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Many people experience eye-strain with light-emitting screens. It's very much a personal thing, however.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:48 AM   #12
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Zune View Post
Since the Kindle and Cybook Gen3 and Sony readers are all "relatively new," my general rule of thumb for equipment sold (ratios) is the comparing the number of people browsing each of the forums over a period of time (say every hour for a day or two, or same clock-time over a few days). Within a small percent error, this *should* give us the ratio of the number of units sold on each.

Perhaps it is too 'statistical' for some people.
I might be wrong, but from the screenshots I think the 5-inch astak is actually just a rebranded sony.

The only device they seem to really develop is the 9-inch one, which really looks quite different to the other sizes.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:37 AM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
I might be wrong, but from the screenshots I think the 5-inch astak is actually just a rebranded sony.

The only device they seem to really develop is the 9-inch one, which really looks quite different to the other sizes.

The Sony Reader has a 6" screen. The 5" model does not have a 6" screen.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:40 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
Your logic slightly escapes me. How can an Astak, which uses a 5" screen, be a "rebranded" version of a device which has a 6" screen?
Old 06-11-2008, 08:49 AM   #15
Tom90deg
Tom90deg is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Er, actually, no.

I'm gonna have to disagree here. Apple does some stuff very well, but it seems to me that Apple's policy is first, make it look cool. Second, make it do what it's supposed to do. The Kindle is ugly. BUT, it's Ugly in the way, as someone said, a stealth fighter is ugly. All those buttons, the shape, it all serves a reason. I think If apple designed it, they'd first make it look shiny and sleek, then try to make it do what it's supposed to do.

I'm sorry if this came off as Anti-apple, but I think they put too much focus on how a product looks and it's "cool" factor. They do some good stuff, but they're not the end-all when it comes to design.
Tom90deg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-ink, pvi