Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook > PocketBook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-27-2023, 11:01 AM   #1
Vito
Vito began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4
Needing help: start programming with pocketbook SDK

Hello Pocketbook Dev Community,

I just bought a Pocketbook Inkpad 4 (switched from a Kindle). Now I have seen that the system is designed a bit more open, so that own applications are possible.
I have seen that the programming language for this is "C/C++". Unfortunately, since I do not actively code in this programming language (only a few basic basisc), I have not yet fully understood, how to start at all.

So I wanted to ask if someone can give me a resource/explanation on how to get started with a simple application.
This should first just display something. From then on, it's just learning C, i think.

The following questions arise for me now, to start:
Which SDK from where (I found different versions from different users)?
Where is a Documentation for the SDK (commands for refresh, etc.)?
How do I build the app and how do I get it on the Pocketbook?

(maybe someone could provide me with an entry program that works so far that the app is openable on the pocketbook)

Sorry if I miss something and/or my english is a "little bit" confusing.

Thanks!
~ Vito
Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 09:44 AM   #2
jrw174
Connoisseur
jrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the rough

Device: PocketBook Era
It fully depends on the application you want to make.

For instance, I wanted to create an application that does some database background work. To achieve this, I need to write a shell script with some SQL. The shell script is linux command line code and SQL is for interacting with the database. There was no SDK involved with this and I leveraged the already existing code to show the user a message when it's done.

I don't know much about the SDK as I haven't looked into it. If you want to learn and have the option of C or C++ I recommend starting to learn C++ first before diving into the SDK. C++ (in my opinion of course) is a much easier language to learn than C.

Ig you browse GitHub for pocketbook you will find many examples of SDK apps and non SDK apps. This would also be a good starting point
jrw174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2023, 04:06 PM   #3
imustafin
imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.imustafin is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Pocketbook X (1040), Pocketbook 602 pro
Given you asked about "commands for refresh" I assume you want to draw something on the screen.

You can check https://github.com/pmartin/pocketbook-demo. Follow demo01, maybe skip 02 and 03, check 04.

Other than that, try to find small programs on GitHub and maybe check programs from https://sourceforge.net/p/pocketbook...svn/HEAD/tree/. They may be old, but the SDK hasn't changed much.

There are several projects for programming in languages other than C/C++ but I'm not sure how easy it would be to use them. Maybe it is better to play around with C/C++ and SDK first. These other projects are usually simple wrappers for the same SDK.

Also, check https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=353991. In addition to Go, Python, Eiffel wrappers there is https://github.com/OliverHaag/rust-inkview for Rust.

Note to self: really think about writing a simple how to guide...
imustafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 12:59 PM   #4
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
I've been playing with the SDK here:
https://github.com/pocketbook/SDK_6.3.0/tree/6.5

It was updated last year and the most up-to-date I could find. I've managed to cross-compile a few apps for the PocketBook successfully with it.

Very much a newb with it all, but with a lot of reading and a laptop with Ubuntu on it, it wasn't too bad. With git and cmake at the command line it can be a quick process. Finding missing libraries however... far less hair than when I started.

The pocketbook-demo imustafin mentioned is definitely worth playing with. Some great examples and templates.

Last edited by neil_swann80; 09-02-2023 at 01:02 PM.
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote