Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
To glow or not to glow???

Hi,
I have been drooling over the nook simple touch glowlight. My husband wants me to pick out what I want. I have a nook tablet but honestly prefer eink. The problems that have been discussed on this forum are keeping me on the fence. Is it a hassel to return the bad units? Do they offer damage insurance or something?

I am a night reader. I have bad insomnia and read to pass the night. I have also read that lcd screens actually cause insomnia so that is another reason why I avoid lcd reading. It does blurr my vision after long periods of reading.. Should I just buy a nst and a book light? I have used the mighty bright light and find the batteries just don't last a week. I don't know what to do.

Thanks,
Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I thought I replied to this earlier today, but I guess I didn't hit "post"...
Either way... I can't give any real advice, because I haven't played with the Glow enough to know. I do love the regular Nook STR though, and I think it works well with light. But I would like to try the Glow, if only price would come down a bit. I'm hoping BN will have some good offers for Black Friday.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Personally I think the Glow is much better than reading with a light attachment. I don't mind reading tablets at night, it doesn't bother my eyes. On the other hand I do get tired of the weight especially when reading in bed.

I can't comment on the return issue because I have not had a need to return my unit. I'm going on six months plus and no issues. I would be surprised however if Barnes & Noble was difficult to deal with on returns.

Other options include Paperwhite - I bought and returned one due to screen issues, large gray areas and blotchy. Or, there is the Kobo Glow which seems to be getting good reviews from owners. The issue with the Glow is when will it be available in the U.S. It appears independent book stores will be receiving them soon as in, next week, if they have not already received any. If you interested in that option I would check with any local independent book stores that maybe nearby.

Back to the Glow I can only repeat my experience has been very good. I don't think the contrast is as sharp as the Kobo unit or Paperwhite but again the Paperwhite seems to have a lot of screen issues.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
I used to read on the NookColor or Tablet in poorly lit environments, but since I got the glow, I haven't used the tablets for reading at all. For reading, the glow is the perfect device.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I think the glow is a great choice if you read in bed or poorly lit environments. Play with the one at the store. I like the fact that the Nook is easier to grip, making it less likely to slide out of your fingers, something that happens to me now and then with kindles. I don't like covers - they add weight. I just have a simple cover that I made myself for storage or to prevent scratches in my purse.

As far as returns, I can't help you there. I don't know anybody personally who has ever returned a Nook. They appear to be more resistant to damage than the kindle (both me and my bro had to replace kindles due to damage even though we are careful).

I have a kindle keyboard, 6 inch kindle, Nook ST and am testing a Paperwhite that I bought for mom. I would have bought her a nook glow if I had known the price was going to drop. I'm so spoiled with that added lighting, I'm buying myself a Nook Glow before the end of the year.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Just another vote for the Glowlight. I **love** mine. No experience with returns. I actually got mine off eBay. So far I've had no issues with the screen.
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #7
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I don't know about the insomnia issue, but I have a friend who uses the Glow while her husband drives on long trips (in other words, poor lighting conditions a lot of the time) and she loves the Glow. So for someone like yourself who would benefit from the built-in light, I agree with others in this thread who think you would really like the Glow, and find it more useful than the regular Simple Touch (which I have).
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #8
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Seriously, who wants to not glow?
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
tinkerzdam
tinkerzdam began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Nook STGlow
I got my Glow unit about a month ago when the price dropped to $119 to replace my Sony PRS-600. I have read two or three books with it so far and I love it. I have had no problems with it at all. I bought a cover from EvoEdge to protect it. My old Sony had a cover with a light. I found the cover to add a lot of weight and the light was hard to position to prevent glare (PRS-600 screens are not very crisp to begin with).

Before I bought the Glow, I considered the Sony PRS-T1. I recently got a refurbished T1but I haven't used it much. I already miss the fact that it doesn't have a built-in light. I am not sure how much I will use it, maybe for downloading library books.

The only complaint I have is the book organization on the Glow...I knew that it didn't allow categories like the Sony but I didn't realize how much that would bug me. I'm sure I will get used to it eventually.

I don't think you will be disappointed with the Glow, even if you spend a few extra dollars for it. Good luck with your decision.
tinkerzdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerzdam View Post
The only complaint I have is the book organization on the Glow...I knew that it didn't allow categories like the Sony but I didn't realize how much that would bug me. I'm sure I will get used to it
It's hard to beat Sony's organization methods. I use calibre to sideload books to my Nooks. I set up my send to device template such that it stores the books in subfolders using the same tags that create collections on the Sony readers. Then you can view them on your Nook in My Files in a more organized way. It's also quicker than setting up shelves on the Nook for hundreds of books.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Have you ever tried getting a copy of the USC Code, in the original form and keeping that at bedside? The USC Code is the compendium of all federal active legislation as it was passed by congress. I keep a copy of it at my bedside and any time I have trouble getting to sleep I get over to it and read it. Its terribly booing stuff filed with phrase such as party of the fourth part, party of the tenth part and so forth and so on. It so booing that five minutes reading that stuff and you will be a sleep in no time. It put my to bed last night.

I am a fellow insomniac, I have what is sometimes called type A insomnia - we are the ones that can't get to sleep, once the medication or some other method can get us to sleep we have no trouble staying there, Ambien works great for a lot of us A types. B type can get to sleep but simply can't stay there, they wake up several times a night and loose a lot of sleep, ambien delayed release works best for these types. The USC Code works great for us A type insomniacs.

Last edited by jbcohen; 11-27-2012 at 07:40 AM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #12
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I'm not going to upgrade at this point, but if I didn't already have a NST, I'd get a Nook Glow for sure.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote