Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-12-2006, 08:19 AM   #1
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
now in the wiki: iliad unofficial toolchain

Hi All!

I've started a page in the wiki with the instructions to install the iliad unofficial toolchain. The page is here:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Ilia...cial_toolchain

And the toolchain here:

http://projects.mobileread.com/iliad...ts/toolchains/

I'll complete the documentation as I have time, as the page is only a bit more than a placeholder (I've omitted scratchbox configuration, and also omitted the instructions on how a windows user can install debian on vmware...)

Hope is useful ;-)
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:27 AM   #2
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica
I'll complete the documentation as I have time, as the page is only a bit more than a placeholder (I've omitted scratchbox configuration, and also omitted the instructions on how a windows user can install debian on vmware...)
Doesn't Cygwin provide gcc, etc...? Probably quicker/easier/less resources...
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2006, 09:35 AM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Great tutorial, as someone who's new to development and porting (but not necessarily Linux), it'll help me get started with a few projects I'd like to see ported.

I've used vmware pretty extensively on windows and linux. I can add that part to the tutorial if you'd like.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:41 AM   #4
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Perhaps a section on a test compile, and the likely expected outputs so the reader knows everything installed ok...?
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:55 AM   #5
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B.
Great tutorial, as someone who's new to development and porting (but not necessarily Linux), it'll help me get started with a few projects I'd like to see ported.

I've used vmware pretty extensively on windows and linux. I can add that part to the tutorial if you'd like.
I gladly accept

I've added a link from the howto pointing to this page:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/index.php...re&action=edit

If you can fill it with the pertinent contents... :-D

Thanks!
Advert
Old 12-12-2006, 11:01 AM   #6
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
I gladly accept

I've added a link from the howto pointing to this page:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/index.php...re&action=edit

If you can fill it with the pertinent contents... :-D

Thanks!
No problem. I'll setup my test build environment this evening on my home pc. I'll be sure to take screenshots and make detailed notes.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:47 PM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Great tutorial, Antartica. I know a lot of people were looking for this info!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:10 AM   #8
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
Great tutorial, Antartica. I know a lot of people were looking for this info!
Thanks. :-).

And for everyone interested: I've finished documenting how to compile and pack programs for the iliad. See it here:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Ilia...cial_toolchain

I've also updated the packing helper scripts in the repository:

http://projects.mobileread.com/iliad...ts/toolchains/
Old 12-14-2006, 08:42 AM   #9
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Antartica, looking pretty sweet!
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:06 AM   #10
Antartica
Evangelist

I've completed the wiki page about using the unofficial toolchain with the instructions for testing your apps using VNC for emulating the Iliad display.

Here it is:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Ilia...ions_using_VNC

Can someone test if the instructions are reasonable complete and/or understandable? Thanks

Last edited by Antartica; 03-25-2007 at 02:39 AM. Reason: fix URL
Old 02-16-2007, 11:26 AM   #11
Mythago
Mythago began at the beginning.

Quote:
I've completed the wiki page about using the unofficial toolchain with the instructions for testing your apps using VNC for emulating the Iliad display.
Nice! Thanks for creating that page and encouraging iLiad development!

Quote:
There's an extra http: at the beginning of the link that should be removed.

Quote:
Can someone test if the instructions are reasonable complete and/or understandable?
It's understandable but I don't know about complete since I haven't had a chance to try it. So there's half an answer at least.

-Mythago
Mythago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:42 AM   #12
kapoira
Connoisseur
kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: i62HD + T68
i have a problem i'm trying to put a scratchbos in my ubuntu 7.04 64 bits

and when i try to install the scratchbox, these stop me....

omega@omega-desktop:~/Instalaciones/iliad$ sudo dpkg -i scratchbox-toolchain-arm-softfloat-gcc3.4.2-glibc2.3.3_20061031-2_i386.deb
dpkg: error al procesar scratchbox-toolchain-arm-softfloat-gcc3.4.2-glibc2.3.3_20061031-2_i386.deb (--install):
la arquitectura del paquete (i386) no corresponde con la del sistema (amd64)
Se encontraron errores al procesar:

that he don't like the i386 package and wants a amd64...

how i can solve this to start to port programs to the iliad, thanks to all
kapoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:47 PM   #13
Mythago
Mythago began at the beginning.

I've got Debian setup in VMWare, have installed scratchbox etc. but now have a question and a problem:
1) On step 11 (Install the helper scripts) the dependencies-helper creates a dependencies-helper sub-directory for the archive contents so that on step 3 of "Compiling a sample program" the line ../dl-and-install -u xmhexagons can't find the dl-and-install script.
So, are the dependencies-helper files meant to be in a sub-directory, or should that Step 3 line be updated to point to the dependencies-helper sub-directory?

2) When I use the dl-and-install script I get the following:
Code:
Locating the package name...
Looking up packages.debian.org
Unable to locate remote host packages.debian.org
Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host.

lynx: Can't access startfile http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?version=testing&arch=arm&case=insensitive&word=xmhexagons&searchmode=searchword

Problem locating the package, exiting...
It seems to have a problem with accessing the network. wget works fine from within scratchbox. And I can ping packages.debian.org from outside of scratchbox in a regular terminal.

Any ideas?

-Mythago
Mythago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:52 AM   #14
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapoira
i have a problem i'm trying to put a scratchbos in my ubuntu 7.04 64 bits

and when i try to install the scratchbox, these stop me....

omega@omega-desktop:~/Instalaciones/iliad$ sudo dpkg -i scratchbox-toolchain-arm-softfloat-gcc3.4.2-glibc2.3.3_20061031-2_i386.deb
dpkg: error al procesar scratchbox-toolchain-arm-softfloat-gcc3.4.2-glibc2.3.3_20061031-2_i386.deb (--install):
la arquitectura del paquete (i386) no corresponde con la del sistema (amd64)
Se encontraron errores al procesar:

that he don't like the i386 package and wants a amd64...

how i can solve this to start to port programs to the iliad, thanks to all
If you have 32 bit support installed, you can try this alternative:
1. Do the following to install the required deps:
# dpkg --info scratchbox-toolchain-arm-softfloat-gcc3.4.2-glibc2.3.3_20061031-2_i386.deb | grep Depends | cut -d : -f 2 | tr , ' ' | sed "s/(.*)//g" > sc-deps
# apt-get install `cat sc-deps`
2. Use alien to convert the package into a tgz:
# apt-get install alien
# alien --to-tgz scratchbox-toolchain-arm-softfloat-gcc3.4.2-glibc2.3.3_20061031-2_i386.deb
# mkdir t
# cd t
# alien ../scratchbox*toolchain*tgz
3. Then continue with the steps in the HOWTO page.

Last edited by Antartica; 03-25-2007 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Fix typos/errors in the suggested commands
Old 03-25-2007, 03:16 AM   #15
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythago
I've got Debian setup in VMWare, have installed scratchbox etc. but now have a question and a problem:
1) On step 11 (Install the helper scripts) the dependencies-helper creates a dependencies-helper sub-directory for the archive contents so that on step 3 of "Compiling a sample program" the line ../dl-and-install -u xmhexagons can't find the dl-and-install script.
So, are the dependencies-helper files meant to be in a sub-directory, or should that Step 3 line be updated to point to the dependencies-helper sub-directory?
Yes, it's an error.I fix the wiki. I've added a

ln -s dependencies-helper/*.sh .

to the instructions in the wiki, so now they should be in the correct location(home of the user).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythago
2) When I use the dl-and-install script I get the following:
Code:
Locating the package name...
Looking up packages.debian.org
Unable to locate remote host packages.debian.org
Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host.

lynx: Can't access startfile http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?version=testing&arch=arm&case=insensitive&word=xmhexagons&searchmode=searchword

Problem locating the package, exiting...
It seems to have a problem with accessing the network. wget works fine from within scratchbox. And I can ping packages.debian.org from outside of scratchbox in a regular terminal.

Any ideas?

-Mythago
It seems that the problem is that the DNS is not configured in the scratchbox environment. Do a
sbox$ echo nameserver the_ip_of_your_dns >> /etc/resolv.conf
substituing the the_ip_of_your_dns
with the IP of the DNS you use. For example
sbox$ echo nameserver 80.58.32.33 >> /etc/resolv.conf
If that solves it, I would have to update the wiki for that, too O:-).