Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 11-04-2009, 09:17 PM   #16
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Hello, and welcome! Am I correct in assuming from Kaz's post that you're also from The Old Dominion?
Errm, not exactly. Devil's and I are in Illinois - but Kaz used to be an Illinois resident, so it's the whole "originally" part that tripped you up
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:14 AM   #17
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Welcome to the friendliest place on Earth DA, and we will suck you into to the world of e-reading.

"We are Borg of MobileRead, resistance is futile!"
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2009, 02:31 AM   #18
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Welcome to the friendliest place on Earth DA, and we will suck you into to the world of e-reading.

And assimilation is a LOT more fun! Where's Marc with the ZCD's?
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:39 AM   #19
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock
devilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role model

Device: HP Mini 1101, Droid X rooted, GTab rooted/VEGAnTAB Ginger Edition/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
What instrument do you play?
Primarily bass, and I muddle through a little keys and guitar when the need arises. I used to *cough* sing *cough* but cigarettes and alcohol didn't have the same effect on my vox as it did on Rod Stewart, David Coverdale et. al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
If I remember correctly, you and I hail from the same start location on Google Map! It's nice to have another Porter on the forum.
A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...actually my youngest brother graduates there this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Am I correct in assuming from Kaz's post that you're also from The Old Dominion?
Nope, completely different reference, and completely different start location on a completely different Google Map. Since I don't know anyone here yet, out of courtesy I'll leave it to Kaz to elaborate if she chooses.
devilsadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:40 AM   #20
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock
devilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post

Can you assimilate the willing?
Advert
Old 11-05-2009, 02:42 AM   #21
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
Can you assimilate the willing?
Sure, we are Borg of MR, we can assimilate anythi... ohhh, shiny....

Wait... what?
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:50 AM   #22
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
Welcome and enjoy. What kind of bass do you have? I love my Gibson Thunderbird, miss my old Fender Jazz and still enjoy my Ibanez Iceman ICB300.
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:46 AM   #23
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billjr13 View Post
Welcome and enjoy. What kind of bass do you have? I love my Gibson Thunderbird, miss my old Fender Jazz and still enjoy my Ibanez Iceman ICB300.
Generic Korean (think Dean Edge). Both 6-string, one fretless/passive, the other one's the opposite (though the active electronics can be--and are--disabled). My fretted one was built for eons of sustain (maple body, brass nut, string-through-body) but that's become impractical; planning on a non-string-through bridge because the current setup with a 35" scale leaves me only one brand of string and I'm not thrilled with their tone at all.

You know, it's funny: Two of my bigger influences (Geddy Lee and Tony Franklin) made their bones on a Fender Jazz, but I've never liked how they felt. They're not super-heavy for the tone you get out of them, they're well-balanced, they just don't feel right to me for some reason. OTOH I played a (borrowed) Epi SG shorty for a couple months and loved it; what little guitar I've played felt better on Les Pauls than on Strats, and I once had an Ibanez pre-cease-and-desist Flying-V with tone that would stop a Brink's truck...maybe I'm a Gibson guy after all.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #24
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello devilsadvocate, and Click image for larger version

Name:	chocolate.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	2.7 KB
ID:	38581 to MR.

Now . . . do we call you devil ? . . . Chris ? . . . or babe ? I'm confused.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #25
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
Hello devilsadvocate, and Attachment 38581 to MR.

Now . . . do we call you devil ? . . . Chris ? . . . or babe ? I'm confused.
"Babe" might get you in trouble with my better half. So far I've heard "Dev" which I kinda like since I'm in IT; "DA" which just sounds snarky, and "Devil" which makes me think of an egg. Or Jack Nicholson.

I guess "Mr. Advocate" would be pushing it
Old 11-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #26
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
"Babe" might get you in trouble with my better half. So far I've heard "Dev" which I kinda like since I'm in IT; "DA" which just sounds snarky, and "Devil" which makes me think of an egg. Or Jack Nicholson.

devil babe Nicholson on the half - "shel" = snarky (and long)

DA . . . not so much.

Quote:
I guess "Mr. Advocate" would be pushing it

Maybe just a snarky little bit.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:26 PM   #27
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
"Devil" makes *me* think of the handsome romantic hero in many Regency Romance type books. They frequently seem to have that nickname.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:54 PM   #28
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
Yeah Gibson basses never seem to get their due. My Thunderbird is fun and has a great tone with a good bottom end for a 4 string. Had an old G3 Grabber that sprouted legs and walk out of my dorm room way back in college. The Jazz Bass was light but I put the old round wound GHS Boomer strings on it and I loved to tone I got from it. Love the Les Paul it really has its own sound and is really versatile. (RIP Les) I can barely handle 4 strings let alone 5 or 6!
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:21 AM   #29
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
devil babe Nicholson on the half - "shel" = snarky (and long)

DA . . . not so much.

Maybe just a snarky little bit.
Now I think I'll go with DA just on general principles.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:41 AM   #30
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billjr13 View Post
I can barely handle 4 strings let alone 5 or 6!
5 string = 4-string with a low-B. 6 strings open a ton of other possibilities though.
Once you get into extended-range instruments, it's basically up to you how you tune it; mine are a modified scorpionis (B-E-A-D-G-b), or standard tuning down a fourth...either way, the 4 middle strings are conventional tuning and if you're just holding the bottom-end there isn't much required in the way of acrobatics. In fact in many situations it makes transitions easier and saves me the trouble of having to jump all over the neck. As the fretboard gets wider, the radius of the neck gets flatter which takes some getting used to if you're accustomed to 150 degrees of neck profile.