Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-18-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Can I use any USB wall (mains) power to charge my Kindle?

I'm assuming I can but have not actually tried it yet.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:06 AM   #2
capelord
capelord began at the beginning.

Device: none
yeah you can
capelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2009, 06:47 AM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:24 PM   #4
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Warning: Whenever I plug my Kindle into the mains via an iPod USB power adaptor it becomes extremely sluggish and buttons become unresponsive. I need to reboot the device to make it behave normally.

This gave me a bit of a scare because I charged my Kindle this way straight out of the box and the buttons were so unresponsive I thought I had a faulty device.

Anyone else experienced this?
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:43 AM   #5
kennyc

Maybe that actually discharged it instead? I know there is an issue with the Sony 505 in that you can NOT charge it from just any usb-type power it has to be "enabled" by the software to charge from the usb. charging it via the PSP type connector works fine though. This was the main impetus for me to ask this question and start this thread after I got my kindle.
Advert
Old 10-23-2009, 10:51 PM   #6
cowanhughes
cowanhughes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Kindle 2 charging

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieClarken View Post
Warning: Whenever I plug my Kindle into the mains via an iPod USB power adaptor it becomes extremely sluggish and buttons become unresponsive. I need to reboot the device to make it behave normally.

This gave me a bit of a scare because I charged my Kindle this way straight out of the box and the buttons were so unresponsive I thought I had a faulty device.

I just received 2 Kindles. I charged the first Kindle through the computer USB - no problems. I tried to charge the second Kindle through my iPhone mains to USB charger and had the exact same problems as you. Also, I don't think it charged at all (in fact, it seemed to discharge), and when I removed it from charge, the screen display still showed as charging. As with your situation, a restart fixed the problem.

I then plugged the first Kindle in to the iPhone charger and the exact same thing happened to it.

I am in Australia and the Kindles only shipped with a USB charger cable. This is OK at home, but am now trying to buy a Kindle-specific mains charger to use when travelling.
cowanhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:54 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Never had any problems charging the Kindle with the supplied wall adapter (in the US). It works great and is faster than charging by USB.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:17 AM   #8
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Keep in Mind that Not all Wall USB Chargers output the same Amperage.

So While the USB Standard is 5V 0.5A, Specific Chargers Often Output an Higher Amperage.

So My iPhone USB Charger Outputs 5V 1.0A, which is much higher, and while most devices will usually charge, though a bit faster from an higher amperage device, some may not, or may misbehave.

From what I've found, the Kindle's own Power Adaptor Outputs 4.9 Volts, 0.85 Amps, so the iPhone's charger may be overdriving it, causing the issues mentioned.

To play on the safe side with most devices, its usually better to get a Wall wart that outputs 5V 0.5A as it will be supported by all, though it may charge devices a little slower.

Hope this Helps.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:17 AM   #9
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
The kindle only ships with the USB cord to Australia. And the iphone wall charge wont work with it, and am going to check another type soon. My laptop USB wont charge it either, I have to use someone else's laptop.

It is very annoying that you cant see thekindle is not charging properly when it is plugged in. The only way you can tell is to take out the USB and see if the battery meter has moved at all.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:53 AM   #10
jbsolutios
jbsolutios began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
I have found that the Kindle 2 International which I received has issues with charging from my UK iPhone charger which came with my 3GS.

It says that it is 1amp, but even after 8 hours the amber light is still on and when I unplug it, the charging symbol stays on on the screen.

Has anyone else found this please?

Thanks

JB
jbsolutios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:17 AM   #11
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Never had any problems charging the Kindle with the supplied wall adapter (in the US). It works great and is faster than charging by USB.

Nor have I Brian, but my original question here was about using third party wall warts with a usb connector to charge the Kindle2. I've not tried it myself yet but I know it does not work (via usb) for Sony 505.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:20 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've tried a couple of USB chargers with my Kindle. They both work fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:24 AM   #13
jbsolutios
jbsolutios began at the beginning.

The supplied charger needs an adaptor, which is a bit of a pain, hence why I tried the iPhone one. Seems to be charging fine off my Mac, but on the iPhone one although the light illuminates, it does not charge :-(
jbsolutios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:44 AM   #14
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've tried a couple of USB chargers with my Kindle. They both work fine.
Thanks Harry.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #15
allenlux
allenlux began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieClarken View Post

Yes, I had this exact same problem on my second day with my International Kindle, after trying to charge it with a TomTom charger, which also mimics a USB port. I also had the permanent "thunderflash" charging symbol even after unplugging the USB cable, and later on a "Critical battery" screen.

I eventually succeeded in rebooting the Kindle and after charging overnight with the supplied charger, it's working fine again.

This is quite strange. There's no reason I can see why one source of 5V via a USB cable should be better than another source, so long as it has enough mA.
allenlux is offline   Reply With Quote