Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-05-2009, 02:58 PM   #31
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
I'm getting the error message "Compile error in hidden module: eBookCommon"

Any advice?

I'm using windows XP, Miscrosoft Office 2007. Calibre 6.16
Hi Amalthia,

I've only seen this problem when code is modified or the ePublisher is not installed (see post #10).

Also I'd try djgreedo's BC v3.0 update for Office 2007. (I've attached his template to the front page.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:38 PM   #32
pyatrus
Enthusiast
pyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toyspyatrus shares his or her toys

Device: Nexus 7 (2013); Sony PRS-505; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyatrus View Post
Update: closed & then reopened MS Word after attaching template & then template worked (i.e., problem resolved)
an update (of sorts): For those of us now using Calibre v. 0.6.19 and possibly having a problem with lrf and epub, you need to update the path so BookCreator beta 3 can find Calibre (since the folder name has changed):
"C:\Program Files\Calibre2"
When you're in MS Word on MS Windows and working on a project, click the "Create eBook" button and scroll over to and select the "Calibre Settings" tab. You can navigate within it to make sure the path is correct.
pyatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #33
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@=X=: I'm adding a link to BookCreator in the calibre user manual, what website would you prefer I use?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:14 PM   #34
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If it's for calibre .6 then point here, I'm still having problems with BC3 and calibre. Else if it's calibre .5 point to the main sticky thread. Once I resolve the BC3 issues I will update the main thread to contain both BC3 and BC2.5 -- incase you still have users using calibre .5

=X=
Old 10-31-2009, 10:13 AM   #35
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Glad you're still working at it.
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2009, 07:17 AM   #36
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
Does anybody know how to embed fonts in the output from Bookcreator?

I'm creating a book that requires a number of non-standard characters with accents from several different languages. The output (I've created epub and LRF) doesn't use the fonts that I used in the Word document.

The HTML output seems to have all the correct accented letters, but when it is converted to the other formats some (not all) of the accented characters are not displayed correctly, so I imagine something needs to be added during the conversion from HTML to EPUB/LRF.

I know it's possible to change the device fonts, but I don't want to do that.
I've also tried zipping the HTML and adding it to Calibre and then converting that to EPUB/LRF with no change in the output results.

Any ideas?
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:53 AM   #37
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgreedo View Post
Does anybody know how to embed fonts in the output from Bookcreator?

I'm creating a book that requires a number of non-standard characters with accents from several different languages. The output (I've created epub and LRF) doesn't use the fonts that I used in the Word document.

The HTML output seems to have all the correct accented letters, but when it is converted to the other formats some (not all) of the accented characters are not displayed correctly, so I imagine something needs to be added during the conversion from HTML to EPUB/LRF.

I know it's possible to change the device fonts, but I don't want to do that.
I've also tried zipping the HTML and adding it to Calibre and then converting that to EPUB/LRF with no change in the output results.

Any ideas?
I don't believe calibre supports embedding fonts with ePUB but I do know you can embed fonts in LRF.

To embedd fonts in BookCreator you need to add the following options in the "Additional Param" tab in the "Param" text box

Code:
   --serif-family=SERIF_FAMILY
                        The serif family of fonts to embed

--sans-family=SANS_FAMILY
                        The sans-serif family of fonts to embed

--mono-family=MONO_FAMILY
                        The monospace family of fonts to embed
In the param you would have to add the switches like so

Code:
   --serif-family="SERIF_FAMILY"    --sans-family="SANS_FAMILY"
with spaces between commands and the font name in quotes.

=X=
Old 11-20-2009, 05:59 PM   #38
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks =X=. I will try that. I thought there was a way using the Params but I couldn't work out how to word it.

OK, I tried that (with LRF) and it did change the fonts in the book. However, I still don't get the special characters displaying. I'm using Calibri as my main font (and I've tested a few others), so I think the reader has difficulty displaying certain characters.

Also, looking inside my EPUB output files, it seems that the HTML inside is correct, so the correct information is getting from Bookcreator to the EPUB. The problem seems to be the device itself.

Last edited by djgreedo; 11-20-2009 at 06:47 PM. Reason: update
Old 11-20-2009, 08:49 PM   #39
djgreedo
Addict

Partially solved

I can manually edit the EPUB file and add some CSS to refer to font files I place on a folder on the device itself. This gives me the correct characters on the device!

The next step would be to put the fonts into the EPUB itself.

From there I need to work out a way to automate the font embedding as much as possible as editing the EPUB is a bit of a pain, especially given that I tend to re-create the EPUB regularly as I work through creating my book.

thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58901
Old 11-20-2009, 09:55 PM   #40
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
I can manually edit the EPUB file and add some CSS to refer to font files I place on a folder on the device itself. This gives me the correct characters on the device!

The next step would be to put the fonts into the EPUB itself.

From there I need to work out a way to automate the font embedding as much as possible as editing the EPUB is a bit of a pain, especially given that I tend to re-create the EPUB regularly as I work through creating my book.

thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58901
It wouldn't be too hard to add this feature to BookCreator. The hardest part would be to zip/unzip. I know Windows XP has a built in compression to their files. If they allowed VBA to access this lib it should be possible. I just don't want to get into having to add 3rd party libs to make BookCreator work.

Last edited by =X=; 11-20-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:01 PM   #41
djgreedo
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
It wouldn't be too hard to add this feature to BookCreator. The hardest part would be to zip/unzip. I know Windows XP has a built in compression to their files. If they allowed VBA to access this lib it should be possible. I just don't want to get into having to add 3rd party libs to make BookCreator work.
Yeah, I'll see if I can figure out a way to do that. It should be possible to create a separate add-in that provides this extra feature separate from Bookcreator.

I'm trying to inject the extra CSS code using Bookcreator's 'Additional Parameters' but it isn't working. What do I put in the box? I've tried:

--extra-css "@font-face { font-family: "Calibri"; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; src: url (res:///Data/fonts/calibri.ttf);}@font-face { font-family: "Calibri"; font-weight: bold; font-style: normal; src: url(res:///Data/fonts/calibrib.ttf);}@font-face { font-family: "Calibri"; font-weight: normal; font-style: italic; src: url(res:///Data/fonts/calibrii.ttf);}@font-face { font-family: "Calibri"; font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; src: url(res:///Data/fonts/calibriz.ttf);}body { font-family: "Calibri", sans-serif;}"

Is there something fancy I need to do with the quotation marks?
Old 11-20-2009, 10:26 PM   #42
=X=
Wizard

Yes put two quotes back to back "", I'll need to fix this in a future release.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:57 PM   #43
djgreedo
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Yes put two quotes back to back "", I'll need to fix this in a future release.
Thanks, but it didn't work. I entered the same text but had double quotes ("") for each (").

When I go into the EPUB file and read the CSS nothing has been added.

RESOLVED:
It actually seems to work with single quotes but with a "=", e.g. --extra-css="@...." with all other quotes as single as well.
However, the CSS doesn't get added to the CSS file inside the EPUB so I have no idea HOW it is working. It must get stored elsewhere in the file.

Last edited by djgreedo; 11-21-2009 at 12:09 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:08 AM   #44
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks, but it didn't work. I entered the same text but had double quotes ("") for each (").

When I go into the EPUB file and read the CSS nothing has been added.
Take a look at the debug.txt file and see what command is getting sent to calibre.

When I'm having trouble with BC I run the command in the debug.txt from the command line to see what messages calibre might print out.

If there are no errors and the ePUB is created correctly the bug is in how BC creates the command line.

=X=