Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-21-2014, 10:04 PM   #1
deb27
Enthusiast
deb27 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Question Voyage vs K3 - Performance?

I love my trusty K3 but I have one issue I don't like. The performance. I have over 500 books (mostly novels) on the K3 and it's getting slower and slower to respond when going through menus and particularly when trying to put books in collections. The more books I add, the slower it gets.

Does anyone know if the Voyage will have a faster processor and/or more storage space? If I had my way, I'd put my entire book collection on the Kindle (over 1200 books). But I can't do that on the K3 because it's just too slow.

For those of you who are going to respond by telling me to just remove some books, that's not happening. First, I'm often in locations where I do not have access to the internet. Second, I like to re-read books. Third, why should have to leave books at "home" when I can have my entire library with me? And last, I hate Amazon's interface for finding, organizing and loading books on my Kindle. Once I buy a book, I want it to stay on my device (and I'll manage the books with Calibre which is vastly superior than Amazon's interface)
deb27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:28 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
If you have access to Calibre, you have access to copies of your books, and a USB port, so no need to keep them on the Kindle.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2014, 10:32 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
If you have access to Calibre, you have access to copies of your books, and a USB port, so no need to keep them on the Kindle.
Some people like having all of their books with them on the device.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:37 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb27 View Post
Does anyone know if the Voyage will have a faster processor and/or more storage space?
Faster processor? Yes. The K3 is 4 generations older than the Voyage and each new generation has gotten a bump, how much faster I'm not sure. More storage space? No, the Voyage has 4GB just like the K3.

All Kindle's I've had slow down a bit with more books on them, but sometimes that can also be caused if a book is stuck indexing. Might be something worth checking on yours.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:40 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Slow performance is generally a sign that something has got stuck indexing. Have you checked? Do a search from the home screen for a random string. If it comes back and says "xxx items not yet indexed", you have a problem. The only feature which should get slower with more books is searching (because there's more to search). I've had 1000+ books on every Kindle I've owned with no problems whatsoever.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2014, 03:40 PM   #6
deb27
Enthusiast

Thanks for the comments.

Regarding Calibre - when I'm traveling, I don't have access to it. Therefore I can't copy the books from it. I can only do that at home.

Regarding performance, I've done searches. I don't get errors about items not being indexed.
The performance issues show up when I'm trying to add books to a collection. The series of buttons to add a book to a collection take upwards of 30 seconds or more per book to finally reach the point when I can choose the collection(s). This makes adding books to collections really tedious.

Also, sometimes searches take a long time. I just did two tests. The first took 2.5 minutes (yes minutes) to respond. But the next time I tried, it was 15 seconds.

Returning to the home screen while currently reading a book can also take a while - sometimes 15-30 seconds for the little spinning "in progress" icon to stop.

I do not have any performance issues when reading a book. That part is just fine. It's mostly when I'm doing non-reading activities.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:11 AM   #7
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Thanks for the comments.

Regarding Calibre - when I'm traveling, I don't have access to it. Therefore I can't copy the books from it. I can only do that at home.

Regarding performance, I've done searches. I don't get errors about items not being indexed.
The performance issues show up when I'm trying to add books to a collection. The series of buttons to add a book to a collection take upwards of 30 seconds or more per book to finally reach the point when I can choose the collection(s). This makes adding books to collections really tedious.

Also, sometimes searches take a long time. I just did two tests. The first took 2.5 minutes (yes minutes) to respond. But the next time I tried, it was 15 seconds.

Returning to the home screen while currently reading a book can also take a while - sometimes 15-30 seconds for the little spinning "in progress" icon to stop.

I do not have any performance issues when reading a book. That part is just fine. It's mostly when I'm doing non-reading activities.
Just to be sure, when you do a search from the home page, is the search set to "My Items" or "All Text"? If it's set to "My Items", it only searches the title and author fields.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:16 PM   #8
deb27
Enthusiast

It's set to "search my items". I don't see a separate option for searching text. If I right-click, the other options are: store, google, wikipedia, dictionary or goto. There isn't one for text. However I believe the "search my items" option does search the text. This shouldn't be substantially longer than searching titles and authors once the books are indexed.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #9
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
any sign of an FILE EXPLORER on the kindle voyage?

if not i won't be buying it...
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:59 PM   #10
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post

No one has the Voyage yet. If there's no File Explorer on previous kindles then I doubt there's one on the Voyage
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:55 PM   #11
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post

You have just saved yourself $200.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:13 PM   #12
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
This matches my experience with a K3. I recently moved must of my reading to a Windows 8.1 tablet (Dell Venue 8 pro) and have stripped my K3 to a small collection of some 10 books. I'd had some 700-800 books on it before the switch.

With the large set of books performance was fine when reading. Moving around in the book (endnotes, etc), accessing the dictionary, and setting bookmarks was fine; the device's response was quick. Adding a book to a collection was painfully slow, though, and I regularly checked to make sure there were no hangs indexing a new book. I also waited a while after adding a book or books before attempting to move them to a collection, hoping to avoid any processor load with normal background indexing. Now that the K3 has only 10 books, everything is fast, even managing collections.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:30 PM   #13
deb27
Enthusiast

Thanks dwig, nice to know I'm not crazy. That's exactly what happens to me. But I'm not switching to a tablet (yes I have one). The e-ink is far easier to read and I love the long life of the kindle battery - there aren't any tablets which can come anywhere near that battery life.
I guess I just have to decide whether to take the plunge on the Voyage ... it really does look like a nice device....
Old 10-17-2014, 02:37 PM   #14
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Thanks dwig, nice to know I'm not crazy. That's exactly what happens to me. But I'm not switching to a tablet (yes I have one). The e-ink is far easier to read and I love the long life of the kindle battery - there aren't any tablets which can come anywhere near that battery life.
I guess I just have to decide whether to take the plunge on the Voyage ... it really does look like a nice device....
The nook glowlight is much much much better.it has a file explorer too.it does not suffer from the lag.you can put a micro sd card slot too.

i have tested it with 10000 books and it's quick.

i think it generates an index file when you add/subtract books and uses that to point to files instead of going to the actual files.this makes it fast.

pity the kindle moron designers can't do this and inflict us with stupid time consuming "collections".

i have 3 nook glow glowlights now.cost me £50 each.better then the 3g kindle crap i have lying in a drawer.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:20 PM   #15
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I have noticed that Calibre takes a lot longer to add books to my Paperwhite than to the Kobo mini, even when there are very few books on the kindle.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
performance, storage, voyage