Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Google "Play Books" to allow uploading of personal ebooks

Apparently in the first day of Google I/O, an announcement was made that the Play Books app will allow uploading from Google Drive up to 1,000 epub or pdf ebooks, allowing for syncing across all the devices accessing that library. This is an update I've been awaiting for some time!
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #2
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
The address play.google.com/books/uploads doesn't work for me...
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2013, 11:56 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Nor me... I do wonder if there might be some geo restrictions in place right now on it?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:11 AM   #4
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's what it looks like. I wonder if we can bypass these restrictions same way as we can with Google Music.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:22 AM   #5
Thrasher
Groupie

I have several Google accounts and I just tried and Google Book Upload works on a couple of them but not on the other ones.... hmmm...
Advert
Old 05-16-2013, 02:10 AM   #6
timeslip1974
timeslip1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timeslip1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timeslip1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timeslip1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timeslip1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timeslip1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timeslip1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timeslip1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timeslip1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timeslip1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timeslip1974 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android
Works fine for me in the UK - As long as im uploading EPUBS - anything else it throws a tizzy at
timeslip1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:54 AM   #7
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Uploaded a couple as a test it worked for me but now i've found Mantano and really like it I won't have much use for Play Books it's nice to have another option though.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:07 AM   #8
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm not sure if there are other platforms like Google Play doing this, but I know that I've really enjoyed using this service with Amazon, so it's great to see an epub equivalent out there.

Last edited by caleb72; 05-16-2013 at 07:21 AM.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #9
nameloc2080
nameloc2080 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nameloc2080 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nameloc2080 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nameloc2080 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nameloc2080 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nameloc2080 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nameloc2080 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nameloc2080 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nameloc2080 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nameloc2080 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nameloc2080 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm in the UK and last night I had no upload button but it has now appeared today. Nice to see the ePub files syncing to my nexus 7.
nameloc2080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #10
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I'm not sure if there are other platforms like Google Play doing this, but I know that I've really enjoyed using this service with Amazon, so it's great to see an epub equivalent out there.
Dunno, I always found it easier to use Calibre. I only have a few books on Google Play, so I tend to use other apps for reading.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
It's good to have this, but after trying it, I don't think I'll continue, as there doesn't seem to be any form of library management. It's fine when you only have a handfull of books, but not when you have hundreds or more.

They are giving you space for 1000 books, I'd have though they might have looked into this aspect.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #12
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Nor me... I do wonder if there might be some geo restrictions in place right now on it?
I also heard they are slowly rolling it out so some users will get it before others. But again, could aslo be a geo restriction thing as well.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Play Books does have some ePub3 support, so if one is playing around with that, this should allow you to experiment.

As a reading app, it is not bad, and has some interesting features: colored highlights, Explore (look up in Google Maps, Wikipedia), Translate.

Some performance issues, at least on my underpowered iPod Touch.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #14
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
quite frankly, this is pretty dumb. Yeah, I know the purpose is to have them available on "the clouds" -- so that you can access them anywhere, or so they say. But what if it's raining cats and dogs and my 3G connection is shut? What if it's a beautiful sunny day and there's no clouds around?

I have on the other hand 32GB worth of space here with me all the time! Why can't it just import the books already there, right next to it?!

thanks, but Aldiko is much better. go steal away another guy's "property"...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #15
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I don't think they have given it enough consideration. They would have done well to make more improvements to the app. I don't know if there are differences between platforms but on iOS its woeful. I'll stick with Marvin/iBooks on iPad, and iBooks/Stanza on iPhone. Once Marvin for iPhone is released, there will be syncing there.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote