Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #481
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I find the spreadsheet works fine. I have a subjective rating of priority that I assign things. Unassigned is 1000, high priority/interest is 1, things that are interesting, but not quite so high get a 10. Binary works good because I can subrank within the 1s or 10s. Every now and then I just sort the list based on priority and reprioritize things and things in the 1000 area are the ones that tend to get deleted. I should add a column for date added so I can stale date items that obviously aren't getting read. If you have the right columns then it's easy to find things based on criteria in the spreadsheet and what my reading interests currently are. I use goodreads for the real TBR list that is more than likely. It stands at around 100 and 50 of those are challenge books for next year.
This is basically what I do, I assign a rank from 1-8 with my general likelihood of reading:
1 Next, probably, at least in that genre.
2 Soon, or at least I intend to actually read this.
3 Probably, someday, might even be soon.
4 Eventually, maybe, if I feel like it.
5 Unlikely, might read if it suddenly becomes relevant, but ...
6 Reference only.
7 Duplicate/Won't Read, kept only for reference
8 I don't know, I do know I need to fill in the information.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #482
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^I just give myself wider margins to subdivide sections in future if needed, I reset large swaths every now and then too. My biggest problem is I keep adding columns to the speadsheet like author's country and year first published.

Finished book number 1000000 (64) for the year. A nice binary number for the geek in me.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #483
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I use calibre. By having a column for price and using the date for date bought, as well as shop and whether read, I can get a good picture of how many unread books I have that I've actually paid money for, and how long I've had them.

I shall be resetting my unread count to the total I've found in calibre for next years challenge. It turned out that I had more bought and unread books that I thought at the start of this year, but I don't want to fiddle with the total mid-year.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #484
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I use calibre. By having a column for price and using the date for date bought, as well as shop and whether read, I can get a good picture of how many unread books I have that I've actually paid money for, and how long I've had them.

I shall be resetting my unread count to the total I've found in calibre for next years challenge. It turned out that I had more bought and unread books that I thought at the start of this year, but I don't want to fiddle with the total mid-year.
That's a good idea for next year - I may implement that for 2014, but I'll use the unread balance as my dipstick. Having 20 unread purchased books at $0.99 isn't as bad as $7.99 each. It may be harder to keep track of though...
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #485
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^Haha, I had my spreadsheet calculating a purchased amount remaining unread amount for me as well. Unread books that I spent significant money on is what I am trying to avoid.
Advert
Old 11-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #486
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Doesn't all this list keeping significantly cut into reading time?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #487
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Not once it is established. Mine took me some time to create, but now that I am just keeping track it doesn't add any significant time. It actually saves time by having a list handy to look at rather than dig through what I have to decide. Also, I created it in time that I wouldn't have been reading anyway as a way to teach myself more about the software I use.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #488
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Perhaps, but it's made me read a lot more varied stuff by analyzing what kinds of things I read and how I might choose different books. Reading books is fun, finding books to read is also fun.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:20 PM   #489
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Reading books is fun, finding books to read is also fun.

Ain't it the truth!

On the topic of this year challenges, I have 2 books left to read from my Fantasy decade 2000-2010 challenge and 7 books total from my 30 books a year challenge.

I'm not sure I can do it >.< Especially the yearly challenge.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:22 AM   #490
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As others say, not once set up. It took me a while to handle the back-log, but it takes next to no time to add in new books and mark off books that I've read.

It means I can say that I have 583 books which I've bought in my TBR pile, along with 166 freebies I've marked as interesting enough to be on my TBR pile.

(I know, my list says I've only got 335 books on my TBR. One of the advantages of actually organising my ebooks was finding some I'd bought that I'd mislaid!)
Old 11-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #491
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Looking Ahead...

So, I haven't done well with my reading goals the last two years and I've decided to make it as simple as possible for next year: 1 book a week; 52 books for the year.

As usual, my OCD tendencies have kicked in and I'd like some advice...
Should I start counting my weeks from:

Wednesday, January 1st to Tuesday, January 7th
or
Sunday, December 29th to Saturday, January 4th

Sunday to Saturday is easier to track, but Wednesday to Tuesday is more "correct". Either way I get 52 weeks therefore 52 books read.

[this is x-posted on my 2014 thread @ GoodReads]
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #492
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post

or
Wednesday to Tuesday, IMO. And you get one more day in the last 'week', since it'll be the eight days from Wednesday 24th December to Wednesday 31st December. (52*7 =364)
Old 11-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #493
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Wednesday to Tuesday, IMO. And you get one more day in the last 'week', since it'll be the eight days from Wednesday 24th December to Wednesday 31st December. (52*7 =364)
In addition, a Wednesday start keeps the weekend intact instead of splitting it across two weeks.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #494
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
In addition, a Wednesday start keeps the weekend intact instead of splitting it across two weeks.
You both make interesting points...
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:35 AM   #495
Dazrin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
As usual, my OCD tendencies have kicked in and I'd like some advice...

or

Sunday to Saturday is easier to track, but Wednesday to Tuesday is more "correct". Either way I get 52 weeks therefore 52 books read.

[this is x-posted on my 2014 thread @ GoodReads]
I would probably use the standard "week numbers" in my calendar app just so that I have something automatic to tell me which week number it is.

In my case, I use Google Calendar and they show week 1 as Monday, Dec 30th through Sunday, January 5th. Outlook appears to show Week 2 as the week starting either the 5th or the 6th depending on how you have your calendar setup (Sunday or Monday starts the week).