Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #106
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
"Bezos? This is Larry Page and I have Sergey Brin on the line. What did you guys think of Apple's announcement yesterday?"

"OMG, we were laughing our asses off yesterday."

"I know, right. Sergey and I had actually been a little worried."

"Yeah, I know, what a relief. Their mini-pad pretty much lives up to the name. Ok, that's kinda gross, but a big clunky screen with crappy resolution and a processor from an old calculator?"

"And they're charging $329 for this garbage. What is Apple thinking? This was their game changer? Wait until October 29th, when we bury Apple's iPad by releasing our own 10" Android tablet. By the way, why did you guys go with a smaller 8.9" tablet running an outdated forked version of Android?"

"I... uh... well... shut up! I have to go now."

Last edited by Daithi; 10-24-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #107
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
So, quik ? trying not to go off subject.. what are your folks opinions of the best (optimale) tablet for reading books, magazines and newspapers.. Nexus7, Kindle Fire, Fire HD or iPad? (mini should be comparable to the iPad) only smaller..
Thanks in advance...
Well, books are a different use case to magazines and newspapers. Can we ignore newspapers as they have a range of formatting from 'like a web page' to 'as print'?

Books, you want the best combination of width, weight, and screen resolution (ppi) - which is partially dependent on the size of your hands and the quality of your eyesight. Screen size isn't so important, but most eReaders are comfortable with 6", and you're starting to sacrifice convenience for words on the page much beyond that.

So (without owning any of the above, but going by the reviews) I'd give Books to the Nexus 7, on the grounds that while the Kindle app is available for all the tablets it's easier to step outside of Amazon with the Nexus than the Kindle Fire HD. The iPad's size scores against it, and the iPad mini has a lower screen resolution (and costs more than the other smaller devices).

Magazines, you really need screen space with good resolution. I'm not convinced that 7" devices are big enough to read magazines comfortably. Even on my 10" tablet I find that I always have to zoom into the page with Zinio, and the amount of scrolling around will be much higher with the smaller tablets. Here I think the retina 9.7" iPads must shine, as the higher resolution (than on my tablet) will make the zoomed out pages more readable.

The device not on your list, though, which might bridge the gap is the Nook HD.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #108
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycurlylocks View Post
Why do I like Apple products? Because they work, no hassle. Much more than I can say for the Android tablet I have. I don't want to have to tweak my tablet and hope something works. I want a clean, easy, and enjoyable experience. I want to feel the aluminum in my hands, not plastic and to feel the beauty in the design. Apple is the whole experience, not just here's a piece of hardware.
We are all, obviously, free to make our own choices, based on whatever criteria we deem to be important or desirable. And it's pointless to debate which is "better", because we may all be seeking different things.

I have an iPad, an iPhone and an iPod touch. The iPod Touch has been repaired under warranty twice by Apple, and then finally replaced. The iPhone gave me fits when upgrading to iOS6, and is just as laggy as the Android phone I had before it. Its main selling point? The battery life, which went in the crapper once I "upgraded" to iOS 6. The iPad is a device that I absolutely love, but the wifi can be described as squirrely, at best, and the hotspot is similar. Random features (such as the hotspot) disappear periodically from the menus, necessitating a reboot. And my iPad has been in a case since the day I bought it, so the look and feel of aluminum is irrelevent to me, even if I agreed that aluminum was an improvement over plastic, which I don't.

So I disagree that the Apple products "work, no hassle", based on my own experience. YMMV. Does my current Android tablet or the Android phone I previously had make me crazy sometimes? Yep. But not noticeably more than the Apple products.

I do not buy electronics for an "experience", I buy them to perform a function. And when I can get a similar item that performs that function (in my, admittedly individual, opinion) better for a large chunk of money less, it would make no sense for me to buy a mini. And I had been awaiting the release with some anticipation, as I am in the market for a 7" class tablet for my son. This release has made up my mind; it will be the Nexus 7 32GB.

I hope you are happy with the mini, should you choose to buy one. It ain't for me.

Last edited by hrosvit; 10-24-2012 at 11:22 AM.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #109
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Much more than I can say for the Android tablet I have. I don't want to have to tweak my tablet and hope something works. I want a clean, easy, and enjoyable experience. I want to feel the aluminum in my hands, not plastic and to feel the beauty in the design. Apple is the whole experience, not just here's a piece of hardware.
What android tablet do you have and what flavor of android is it running?

I agree that Apple products tend to work effortlessly out of the box, and that is a big appeal for a lot of people. I also agree that the iPad screen ratio is ideal for reading. But what's with the aluminum? Don't most people use covers for their tablets and devices? I do. Once you put a cover on the thing, it doesn't matter what it's made of ... just so long as its solidly built.

While I think the iPad Mini will likely sell well, I can also see there being quite a few tech savvy Apple consumers who would be embarrassed to buy a product with inferior specs at a premium price. Imagine pulling one of these things out at a meeting at work or gathering of friends or family and everyone knows you willingly shelled out much more for a device with lower specs than the ones they have?

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #110
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
So, quik ? trying not to go off subject.. what are your folks opinions of the best (optimale) tablet for reading books, magazines and newspapers.. Nexus7, Kindle Fire, Fire HD or iPad? (mini should be comparable to the iPad) only smaller..
Thanks in advance...
If you watch the Apple Keynote, you will see the differences between the way pages are displayed on the Nexxus and the iPad Mini. Big difference to me. I've honestly not tried the Kindle Fire line, the first one glared so badly in the store, I knew I'd never use it. I've not seen the second. I put the Instant Video app on my iPad for the Amazon prime videos, but I don't want to watch TV show re-runs and I'm not into old movies. So I never use the video service. I just grab my monthly book loan and use the two day shipping.

I have noticed my eyes tire more quickly on my retina iPad than they did on my original iPad, so I'm welcoming the lower resolution of the iPad Mini. I suspect I'll be able to read longer at a time.

I think my only real advice, is you have to look at the tablets and see what works best for you. See what tires you the fastest.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #111
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
After sleeping on my comments, I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts on the iPad Mini.. I kinda wish I had not returned my Tablets... I think I will re-evaluate the situation.. Yes, I'm kinda FICKLE sometimes..and crazy as well..
More Later,
Doug
Trust me when I say I have wanted to try Apple's ecosystem. I have nothing against them but price wise they have not compiled.

The touchs are overpriced compared to tablets and screen is to small. The IPADS especially are out of my price range.

Maybe some day.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #112
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
"Bezos? This is Larry Page and I have Sergey Brin on the line. What did you guys think of Apple's announcement yesterday?"

"OMG, we were laughing our asses off yesterday."

"I know, right. Sergey and I had actually been a little worried."

"Yeah, I know, what a relief. Their mini-pad pretty much lives up to the name. Ok, that's kinda gross, but a big clunky screen with crappy resolution and a processor from an old calculator?"

"And they're charging $329 for this garbage. What is Apple thinking? This was their game changer? Wait until October 29th, when we bury Apple's iPad by releasing our own 10" Android tablet. By the way, why did you guys go with a smaller 8.9" tablet running an outdated forked version of Android?"

"I... uh... well... shut up! I have to go now."

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #113
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Well, books are a different use case to magazines and newspapers. Can we ignore newspapers as they have a range of formatting from 'like a web page' to 'as print'?

Books, you want the best combination of width, weight, and screen resolution (ppi) - which is partially dependent on the size of your hands and the quality of your eyesight. Screen size isn't so important, but most eReaders are comfortable with 6", and you're starting to sacrifice convenience for words on the page much beyond that.

So (without owning any of the above, but going by the reviews) I'd give Books to the Nexus 7, on the grounds that while the Kindle app is available for all the tablets it's easier to step outside of Amazon with the Nexus than the Kindle Fire HD. The iPad's size scores against it, and the iPad mini has a lower screen resolution (and costs more than the other smaller devices).

Magazines, you really need screen space with good resolution. I'm not convinced that 7" devices are big enough to read magazines comfortably. Even on my 10" tablet I find that I always have to zoom into the page with Zinio, and the amount of scrolling around will be much higher with the smaller tablets. Here I think the retina 9.7" iPads must shine, as the higher resolution (than on my tablet) will make the zoomed out pages more readable.

The device not on your list, though, which might bridge the gap is the Nook HD.

Graham
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #114
bugjd
bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, paperwhite, iPhone 4s, iPad
see, the argument against as laid out just now by hrosvit is how these things should go. recognizing you use your tech one way while others may use theirs a different way. and whatever works best for an individual, by whatever means they use to determine "works best", should really be the end of the argument.

the passions for and against Apple that play out online anytime they make a new announcement just boggle the mind. i don't get it.
bugjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #115
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
I have noticed my eyes tire more quickly on my retina iPad than they did on my original iPad, so I'm welcoming the lower resolution of the iPad Mini. I suspect I'll be able to read longer at a time.
You are probably the exception here.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #116
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmm, that's odd.

Four times as many pixels pumping out four times the light? That doesn't seem likely as presumably you adjust the brightness accordingly. But it's the only thing I can think of that would cause that.

Unless the higher resolution leads you to view the text at a smaller font size?

Graham
Old 10-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #117
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
You are probably the exception here.
That could very well be, that's why we each should evaluate what works for ourself and not what works for others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Hmm, that's odd.

Four times as many pixels pumping out four times the light? That doesn't seem likely as presumably you adjust the brightness accordingly. But it's the only thing I can think of that would cause that.

Unless the higher resolution leads you to view the text at a smaller font size?

Graham
I do tend to keep the font smaller on the retina iPad. I've often wondered if the fatigue is from trying to process so many pixels? My old eyes aren't what they used to be.

Perhaps I need to be more aware of the font size. Thanks for the input!

Last edited by mycurlylocks; 10-24-2012 at 12:13 PM.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #118
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Eyes don't process pixels. Probably need to increase the font size or adjust the brightness.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #119
Graham
Wizard

Maybe try to read in narrower columns rather than across the whole width of the iPad as well?

Graham
Old 10-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #120
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Well if the More than 1 & half years old+ dual core Apple A5 CPU with only 512MB of RAM and a lowly 1024x768 don't put you off from yet another money milking product from Apple.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A5

Then Just maybe the fact that even for that rip off starting price of $329 you don't even get GPS and have to stump up another $100+ on top to buy the Wifi Cellular version will.
Read the specs and it's clear to see that the Wifi version only comes with Wifi and a Digital compass

http://www.apple.com/uk/ipad-mini/specs/

With there latest release they have surpassed themselves at becoming true grifter's (Confidence tricksters) of the electronic world.And only people who are mesmerized by a shiny APPLE symbol will buy them as they are totally outclassed by other manufacturers in both performance and value for money

The only way i would get one of these would be if i found one in a Christmas cracker

Last edited by darksaber35; 10-24-2012 at 01:58 PM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote