Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #16
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
This is a known issue with the K4 and some have it on the KT. Some units are better than others when it comes to contrast. I've exchange mine due to this issue. Amazon is aware of the issue. They tried to darken the font in the last firmware upgrade but for me I couldn't tell a difference. You will find eInk varies and when you get a darker unit there's not much you can do other then exchange it.
I've had 3 KT's pass thru my hands. The first one was okay, but I thought it could be better so I requested an exchange. However the replacement was not as good (seemed to be 'dark'), so I returned it and kept the original one. Even so I found that I needed to turn on 'refresh every page' to keep the ghosting from being a distraction. A couple of months ago I bought another KT (with 3G this time) and found it didn't require 'refresh every page' (my original is KT now a loaner). So there seems to be quite a bit of variation, seemingly endemic to eInk technology. Still I wonder if they could add some way to adjust contrast/brightness to give you to compensate for that variation. For example, Sony PRS-T1 has such settings, though I've never found any need to use them and don't know if they could overcome truly 'bad' eink screens.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:56 PM   #17
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I vote return. If you decide the new ones don't suit you, I'm sure the old kindle will still be on sale.

(not the fire, though.)
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2012, 08:15 AM   #18
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't think that's a safe bet at all. The Kindle Touch, for example, announced last October (?) didn't become available in the UK until around May this year.
Sorry Harry, I was just thinking US, not the rest of the world.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:00 PM   #19
Ozonation
Ozonation began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hey... thanks for all the advice. I'm pretty confident of my decision to return it.

As for PDFs, I realize an iPad is better - I've got one. I also have the "original" Windows tablet with the Wacom enabled pen. At the end, after working with many alternatives, I basically print out PDF articles on scrap paper, mark them up, and then scan them in. I find when I'm doing research or teaching I don't read "one page at a time" - I'm not sure anybody does. When I'm reviewing papers or a thesis, I read one page, flip back to another page to check what the writer said originally, mark up the sides, etc. This is far easier on paper than a tablet. However, sometimes I just want to read a journal article and I was thinking that an ereader could serve.

What I did try was to convert a PDF to Word, and then I sent the Word document to the Kindle convert service: that wasn't too bad.

Looking forward to September 6!
Ozonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #20
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
This thread just predicted the Kindle PW.
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert