Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
Xtremegene
Connoisseur
Xtremegene began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 --- Nokia n800
Experience with RSS Feeds

So far I've downloaded five of the feeds provided by CONNECT; I've only looked at three so far (Engadget, Gizmodo, and Lifehacker). I've had an OK experience reading them (usually have to bump up the text size by one).

My question is: is there anyway so far to get rid of the comments or (in the case of Engadget at the least) the annoying relisting of all the links after EACH article? What I mean by the last bit is that after reading a news posting about, say, the Sony Reader, it is followed by comments, then afterwards is followed by a breakdown of the articles on the feed (Sony HD Camcorder, MS Zune Player, Sling Slingbox Player, etc.), and then that is followed by outside links such as Engadget Japanese or Digg (?).

I think it's obviously a little redundant for the links and news articles to be listed after news post, especially since I don't know of a way that the Reader can select the links. Is it just something I have to hope Sony changes in the future? Having > 25% of 440 pages be the same thing is a little frustrating to flip past, not to mention another 25% of pages with comments that are not necessarily needed, not to mention the space they take up.
Xtremegene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:14 PM   #2
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Sony isn't providing a Table of Contents to the articles they extracted?

Is it a BBeB file?
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:24 PM   #3
gbdesai
gbdesai began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I think RSS is pretty unusable in its current state. I mean Engadget gets updates every few minutes, Sony only downloads once in the morning, so if I sync in the afternoon its out of date. Moreover, the formatting is terrible from the few I've tried and I have to manually redownload each and every RSS feed and manually copy the stuff to the device.... They better improve Connect Reader, and soon.
gbdesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:09 AM   #4
Xtremegene
Connoisseur
Xtremegene began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 --- Nokia n800
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
Sony isn't providing a Table of Contents to the articles they extracted?

I obviously should have played with the Reader some more and read the manual first before posting silly questions.

Yes, the RSS feeds to contain a Table of Contents. Still doesn't get rid of the pages of useless stuff, but at least I don't have to push as many buttons (and waste as much power) getting past them. Thanks!
Xtremegene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:29 AM   #5
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I currently playing with RSS feeds and how to show them nicely on the Illiad... Would it be possible to post up an example file so that I can have a look at one...? I'd be very grateful...!
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:36 AM   #6
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
gbdesai: I think RSS is pretty unusable in its current state.

I've tried LifeHacker feed and have to agree. It is unusable. Will try other feeds later.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote