Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
No! Don't ever run your eBook through Word. Word just makes a horrible mess of things.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No! Don't ever run your eBook through Word. Word just makes a horrible mess of things.
Wolfie:

You know I love ya better than my luggage*, but, laddie, the vast, and I mean, VAST, majority of today's books are written in Word. We export html out of Word daily, in large quantities, and somehow, we manage to survive it. You can approach this one of two ways: either kicking and screaming and making a crapload more work for yourself, for no reason, or adopt a calm acceptance of the fact, and learn to work WITH Word, instead of against it. Once you actually take a few hours to learn Word's ins and outs, it's a mighty powerful tool. Once you accept and understand that Word is nothing more than a GUI interface to HTML, with a little extra "sumpin-sumpin" thrown in that can make you a bit whacko, it's easy to manipulate.

Very simply: use Word's built-in styles, which you modify to suit yourself, as psuedo-CSS. Clean the Word file (I can recommend either BookCreator's macros or Toxaris' spiffy Transform HTML macro). When I was still making books instead of being stuck in the office all the time, I would use BC's macro to clean a Word file stem-to-stern, then use Toxie's macro to ouput it, name the ss in Toxie's macro, and I'd have on damn spic-and-span file. This takes almost no time, compared to the Kicking and Screaming ("The Linda Blair") method. Is it perfect? No, but quite bluntly, neither is anything else that gets touted around here; the OO export sucks, the Atlantis ePUB-maker isn't any good (IMHO), Jutoh is okay, but it's not a production tool, etc.

For the love of heaven, don't Linda Blair it. Just embrace the Styles, kiddo. It will make your life SOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier.

*From "Steel Magnolias."

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #18
mncowboy
Wanderer
mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PaperWhite 2
Word can work just fine. I create books with the word generated toc, linked endnotes, etc. and it works like a champ. I have found a couple things that need to be done though.
First, always use styles for everything.
Save as filtered web page.
In Sigil, delete all the lines in the style section of the html document.
Create a css file with all the styles that you used in the word document.
Link that style sheet in the html.
You are good to go!
I do some additional cleanup, like a search and replace to change <p class="MsoNormal"> to just <p>.
mncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote