Notices

Old 08-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
jdm001
Connoisseur
jdm001 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage Dualbook
Thumbs up FYI Nice little portable USB keyboard for Edge/PE

FYI Everyone,

I was looking for a portable little keyboard so that I could turn my PE into a portable office during a long vacation. It's a great tool, having an ereader (I use the LCD2Eink and also convert stuff to epub online for many work manuals and documents i need to review), and, with wifi being available in many places (or using tethering), you can get whatever you need done with the little PE.... conferencing with video, chat, skype, email, browse web, office documents... but it's a pain in the butt to punch and peck one letter at a time with a stylus.

So, first i tried this item: $23 shipped
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o03_s00_i00

While it worked, the keys were too small to try to get fingertips to actually type. It was like typing with a phone (before iphones) where you had to thumb type. It's a great little keyboard (the touchpad even worked, but only to scroll on the PE... similar to if you hook up any USB mouse) so, i saved it for a HTPC remote and then got this:

Next I got this: $12 shipped
http://www.amazon.com/Tablet-Stand-U...d_rhf_pe_p_t_1

Arrived yesterday, works flawlessly. Keys are only slightly smaller than a regular keyboard, and it's the same exact shape (length/width) as the PE when folded. It is about the same thickness too, and, unfortunately you can't fit the PE inside it to get it to act as a cover.

It comes with a thin USB cable, and two little "loops" (one holds the thin USB cord, the other holds an extra stylus it came with. The stylus is good for the PE screen, because you can save the Wacom enabled pen for the eink side, but then use this stylus for the LCD since the wacom pen scratches the surface of the LCD after a while).

It comes with a little tripod stand, and, it has 3 clips. Two at the bottom (perfectly sized for the PE's width when open horizontally) and one at the top. The top one gets in the way, it does stretch, but it never reaches the width of the PE.

So, since it was made out of a metal bar, I folded it back by hand. It folded to about a 40 degree angle, and when stretched fully back, it actually became the perfect size to hold the top of the PE in place. I ran the cable through the back/middle (behind the PE speaker) and hooked up the keyboard USB on the top left side, and it was a perfect setup.

I'll take pictures if anyone interested.

Overall, it's a good size, works seemlessly (although if any background services were running--ie Email-- the keyboard was as slow as molasses until the services were complete).

Hope this helps someone!

JM
jdm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Cool!

I think I have the 10" version of that, or something very like it. Mine works well too! Glad you found something good!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge
With the 10" keyboard the PE fits inside the top cover held in by the spring-loaded hinges. My dauthger uses it this way to type.
tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
jdm001
Connoisseur
jdm001 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage Dualbook
Well shoot... now i gotta get the 10" one.

Tekknogenius, is it the same exact one I got, but in the 10 inch version? Like here:

http://www.amazon.com/Keyboard-Stylu...pr_product_top
jdm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
greenyouth
Zealot
greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This pretty cool. I like to buy it too. Can you show a picture? Thanks
greenyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm001 View Post
Well shoot... now i gotta get the 10" one.

Tekknogenius, is it the same exact one I got, but in the 10 inch version? Like here:

http://www.amazon.com/Keyboard-Stylu...pr_product_top
Yep it looks just like that.

Now imagine the PE open and inserted in the upper portion between the spring loaded hinges. Sorry, I don't have a picture of the setup at the moment.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
So.....which is being recommended for the eDGe...the 7" or the 10"?
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:44 AM   #8
Filark
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
So.....which is being recommended for the eDGe...the 7" or the 10"?
Either! The Pocket eDGe when open fits into the 10", but the 7" works well too for the PE. If you want to use it with the EE you probably want the 10". There's a thread in here somewhere with more info on the 10" and possibly even some pictures.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #9
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Ah, thanks, Filark. I think I'll probably get the 10", then.

BTW, my eDGe will be a year old in two weeks -- got it on 9/15/11 and still working like a charm. I got in on the Woot deal that was posted here at Mobileread and sold out in an hour or two.

I actually use it way more than my Nook or iPod...so versatile, but without this forum I'd have been so lost LOL.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
Edward_R
Zealot
Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Pacific Northwest (about 35 miles northeast of Seattle)
Device: K3 / HP 10" Tablet (FBreader Installed)
With the 10" inch model you'll need to get an USB extender cable as well or mount the PE upside down.
Edward_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:39 AM   #11
Filark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward_R View Post
With the 10" inch model you'll need to get an USB extender cable as well or mount the PE upside down.
Oh yes! I forgot about that. Thanks, Edward_R!

We had a short extender lying around so I took it and keep it attached to the USB cable in my (10") keyboard case. Had to look just now and yup -- there it is.

Congratulations on your PE's anniversary (birthday?), DianNC!
Old 08-31-2012, 09:32 AM   #12
tekknogenius
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward_R View Post
On mine no extender is needed. The USB cable is long enough to fit it.