Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #16
Walk Broad
Connoisseur
Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Tablet PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Many people experience eye-strain with light-emitting screens. It's very much a personal thing, however.
I thought it had the option to turn the backlight on and off?

I could be wrong though and would most certainly reach out to any current EB 1150 owner here on the forum before clicking the "buy" button.
Walk Broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:21 PM   #17
Walk Broad
Connoisseur
Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Tablet PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom90deg View Post
I'm gonna have to disagree here. Apple does some stuff very well, but it seems to me that Apple's policy is first, make it look cool. Second, make it do what it's supposed to do. The Kindle is ugly. BUT, it's Ugly in the way, as someone said, a stealth fighter is ugly. All those buttons, the shape, it all serves a reason. I think If apple designed it, they'd first make it look shiny and sleek, then try to make it do what it's supposed to do.

I'm sorry if this came off as Anti-apple, but I think they put too much focus on how a product looks and it's "cool" factor. They do some good stuff, but they're not the end-all when it comes to design.
Which is exactly why I think Apple making an e-reading device would be a great asset.

WE might never buy it, but all of a sudden masses of people would "discover" e-books (and Steve Jobs would probably try to claim he invented them).

E-books would be on the lips of millions of people who would start to investigate.

The publishing industry would fall all over themselves getting content ready since it would have the "Apple mystique" attached to it. (Think iPod)

Smaller e-book publisher could market to an even larger pool of e-readers

Think if even half of them bought someone else's e-reading device besides Apple's?

And then think of all the e-books that would be selling on both the Apple model and everyone else's?

Apple would raise the level of awareness even further than Amazon has done, reagardless if their e-reader is a piece of stylish junk or not.

I would wlecome Apple into the e-reading device market with open arms and rose petals at their feet even if I would never (ever) buy an Apple product.
Walk Broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:23 PM   #18
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk Broad View Post
I thought it had the option to turn the backlight on and off?

I could be wrong though and would most certainly reach out to any current EB 1150 owner here on the forum before clicking the "buy" button.
you can adjust the backlight, however in my experience turning it completely off effectively renders the screen completely unreadable. i *wish* you could turn it off completely. i have it turned down as far as i can, but i still notice it a bit in a dim room. having said that, i am *very* bothered by the backlighting on a computer screen (when my eyes are tired it is sometimes physically painful), but so far i have been able to read my eb1150 without noticeable eyestrain (even when my eyes are tired).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:24 PM   #19
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom90deg View Post
BUT, it's Ugly in the way, as someone said, a stealth fighter is ugly.
I have to remember that one! Next time someone comments on the beauty of my Kindle, ...
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:52 PM   #20
Tom90deg
Tom90deg is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
I have to remember that one! Next time someone comments on the beauty of my Kindle, ...
Hehee, it's true :-D The Kindle is not pretty, but it looks like it means business, you know? Great article on the kindle here... http://ihnatko.com/index.php/2007/12...-just-waffles/
Tom90deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #21
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
you can adjust the backlight, however in my experience turning it completely off effectively renders the screen completely unreadable. i *wish* you could turn it off completely. i have it turned down as far as i can, but i still notice it a bit in a dim room. having said that, i am *very* bothered by the backlighting on a computer screen (when my eyes are tired it is sometimes physically painful), but so far i have been able to read my eb1150 without noticeable eyestrain (even when my eyes are tired).
I turn off the backlight regularly, in fact I do it every time I read in sunlight, but it does usually require an extra adjustment to the contrast. Luckily, that is done on the same option screen as the light adjustment.

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:07 PM   #22
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack B Nimble View Post
I turn off the backlight regularly, in fact I do it every time I read in sunlight, but it does usually require an extra adjustment to the contrast. Luckily, that is done on the same option screen as the light adjustment.

Jack
others have told me that as well, actually, but i've never succeeded in getting it to work. i think it's partly because the touchscreen is not quite sensitive enough for really delicate adjustments, so it jumps from "screen somewhat backlit" to "screen completely black" whenever i have tried.

i'm going to try again though and put the contrast really high before i touch the backlight, just to see if it works.

EDIT : ok, i just tried it, it does work (i recommend raising the contrast a lot BEFORE you touch the backlight control). however i find that even with the contrast near the maximum, the screen itself is very dark when the backlight is off. that combined with the reflections which then are much more apparent makes for a not very comfortable reading experience for me. but i'm sure it is possible to read that way, and i am not currently outside in sunlight so that probably makes a difference as well.

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 06-11-2008 at 02:10 PM.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:28 AM   #23
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Your logic slightly escapes me. How can an Astak, which uses a 5" screen, be a "rebranded" version of a device which has a 6" screen?
My wrong.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23929

The 6" Astak is going to be a rebranded Nektronix.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:06 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
My wrong.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23929

The 6" Astak is going to be a rebranded Nektronix.
The Gen3 is a rebranded Netronix. Proof is that the Netronix can run the same firmware as the Gen3.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:22 PM   #25
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Gen3 is a rebranded Netronix. Proof is that the Netronix can run the same firmware as the Gen3.
True,

However, the fact that the Astak will be running WinCE 5.0 leads me to believe it's going to be a re-branded EB-610 or (if the customer chooses wifi and touchscreen) EB-611, whereas the Cybook Gen3 appears to be re-branded EB-600, which still comes in Linux flavor. (What used to be called an EB-100.) And, of course, the Astak 9.7" will be a re-branded EB-900.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:25 PM   #26
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
True,

However, the fact that the Astak will be running WinCE 5.0 leads me to believe it's going to be a re-branded EB-610 or (if the customer chooses wifi and touchscreen) EB-611, whereas the Cybook Gen3 appears to be re-branded EB-600, which still comes in Linux flavor. (What used to be called an EB-100.) And, of course, the Astak 9.7" will be a re-branded EB-900.

Derek
While it is made by Netronix I do not believe it will be exactly the same as a Netronix model. In my conversations with them they were talking about custom keys on the device. They also fixed the SD card so it goes in the right way. Other physical changes are also in the works like a light mount.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-ink, pvi