Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #31
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Still nothing
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #32
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Apparently, the correct link is: http://www.copyright.gov/1201/commen...ubmission.html
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #33
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Thank you!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:42 AM   #34
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Thanks! Letter sent.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #35
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Here's what I intend to submit. Any comments from the membership before I do?
---
Comment on Exemption to Prohibition on Circumvention of Copyright Protection Systems for Access Control Technologies
To Whom It May Concern,
The rules should state clearly that circumvention is not prohibited when it is done for non-copyright-infringing use. If it must be prohibited at all, then it must only be prohibited if that circumvention directly results in or was clearly intended to result in a copyright violation.
It should be made clear that circumvention is allowed in order to exercise fair use of the material.
As a specific example, the rules should make clear that circumventing DRM on ebooks and sound recording is permitted for the purpose or exercising permitted rights, such as personally reading or listening to the material, in a format or on a device of the user's choosing. Copyright law should not be used to force consumers to use one manufacturer's equipment over another.
Thank you.
----
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #36
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I like it, ApK. It's clear and concise. Bravo.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #37
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
You missed out the most important thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Here's what I intend to submit. Any comments from the membership before I do?
---
Comment on Exemption to Prohibition on Circumvention of Copyright Protection Systems for Access Control Technologies
To Whom It May Concern,
The rules should state clearly that circumvention is not prohibited when it is done for non-copyright-infringing use. If it must be prohibited at all, then it must only be prohibited if that circumvention directly results in or was clearly intended to result in a copyright violation.
It should be made clear that circumvention is allowed in order to exercise fair use of the material.
As a specific example, the rules should make clear that circumventing DRM on ebooks and sound recording is permitted for the purpose or exercising permitted rights, such as personally reading or listening to the material, in a format or on a device of the user's choosing. Copyright law should not be used to force consumers to use one manufacturer's equipment over another.
Thank you.
----
You should add the phrase "on ebooks that you have personally paid for" so the sentence should read:

"As a specific example, the rules should make clear that circumventing DRM on ebooks and sound recordings, on ebooks that you have personally paid for, is permitted for the purpose or exercising permitted rights, such as personally reading or listening to the material, in a format or on a device of the user's choosing."
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:05 PM   #38
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
You should add the phrase "on ebooks that you have personally paid for" so the sentence should read:

"As a specific example, the rules should make clear that circumventing DRM on ebooks and sound recordings, on ebooks that you have personally paid for, is permitted for the purpose or exercising permitted rights, such as personally reading or listening to the material, in a format or on a device of the user's choosing."
1. Thanks for the comment!
2. Thanks for helping me catch a typo....I meant to write "purpose of..
3. Your rephrased sentence has "on ebooks" a redundant second time. ;-)
4. I disagree. It doesn't matter if the book was free, or a gift, or what have you. As long as I have the right to consume the content, I believe there should not be arbitrary interference on my exercising that right. Personally paying is not relevant.

ApK
Old 11-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #39
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
4. I disagree. It doesn't matter if the book was free, or a gift, or what have you. As long as I have the right to consume the content, I believe there should not be arbitrary interference on my exercising that right. Personally paying is not relevant.
You could use "legally acquired".
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #40
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:07 PM   #41
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
My comment is in...
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #42
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Must be a legal book...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
You could use "legally acquired".
Yes, "legally acquired" is better.

There's no way that you can be allowed to remove DRM from a book that has not been paid for.
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:47 PM   #43
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
Yes, "legally acquired" is better.

There's no way that you can be allowed to remove DRM from a book that has not been paid for.
In my letter, I specified "paid content" and "legal free" content upon first mentioning for clarity, and then went to "legally acquired." Plenty of free books, music, demos, etc are available legally, and often DRM'ed.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #44
ApK

Rulemaking cycle is still going on. I just happened to see this while checking up on it:

http://www.copyright.gov/1201/2011/initial/

It's kind of cool seeing my name in the Comments column by Class 10B:
Makes me feel like I'm really part of the process!
Win or lose, at least it shows someone's listening.

ApK
Old 10-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #45
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Rulemaking cycle is still going on. I just happened to see this while checking up on it:

http://www.copyright.gov/1201/2011/initial/

It's kind of cool seeing my name in the Comments column by Class 10B:
Makes me feel like I'm really part of the process!
Win or lose, at least it shows someone's listening.

ApK
Hey, I'm there too! Hard to believe there weren't more.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote