Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-22-2008, 08:02 AM   #1
Paul in Saudi
Connoisseur
Paul in Saudi is on a distinguished road

Device: Amazon Kindle
Well, I busted it.

It tumbled, spilled really, out of the Volvo to the parking lot. Picking it up, I noticed the battery had fallen out, odd to have the screen on with no battery.

I put it all back together and it worked fine. The next morning it began to freak out again. It worked when I put it in my desk drawer, did not work when I took it out.

I gave it to the Electronics Shop. Dropped it off at the end of the day, by the time I reached the front gate the called me to say it was fixed. THey opened the round portal next to the battery and reconnected a loose connector to the screen.

Fine. I stopped by this morning. It is dead again. Lines across the screen. Resetting gives us a silver thermometer as it reboots. Then nothing. The connection to the screen is broke.

What do you think of the options? Does this thing has a warrantee?
Paul in Saudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:20 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you dropped it, it hardly seems reasonable to expect a warranty repair, does it? Warranties are there for manufacturing defects, not "user abuse". Dropping it out of your car onto concrete (or whatever) is not within the range of activities that the device was intended for .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:31 AM   #3
Paul in Saudi
Connoisseur

Find, be reasonable. See if that gets you any friends.

But of course you are right. On the other hand, who the heck else save Amazon repairs the things? Am I supposed to trash it?

And on a related note, how long is the back order nowadays?
Old 03-22-2008, 08:42 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Oh absolutely, you'll need to return it to Amazon for repair. I'm just saying that it might be as well to expect to be charged for the repair .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
So, after listening all these years to owners bragging about how safe Volvos are, in turns out they don't protect Kindles from falling out.

Ridiculous that they don't provide a special seat belt for the device. I'd insist that Volvo pay for the repairs.

Sorry to hear about your problem. While some really good electronic repair shop (if you can find such a thing) might be able to repair it, doubt it as they would not have parts, wiring diagrams, etc. I don't see any way other than shipping it to Amazon and keeping your fingers crossed. If fixed, get a special automobile baby seat for it.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:00 AM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I've yet to talk to anyone who got one repaired, replaced yes but not repaired
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:07 AM   #7
kevinpars
Connoisseur
kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I would contact Amazon and see what they say. Amazon touts their drop test video, so I think it is reasonable to see what they will do in your case. It is not like you dropped it from a great height or from a moving vehicle. I would think that Amazon would want to work with you - not only is a broken Kindle worthless to you, it is worthless to Amazon because it won't generate sales.

Hope things work out.
kevinpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:23 AM   #8
Paul in Saudi
Connoisseur

The 'lectronic Shop has it spread out across a work bench. They are hoping putting it back together really well will make it right as rain. Or not.

Since I am in Saudi Arabia, returning it is almost too much trouble to bother with. Almost.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:11 AM   #9
Paul in Saudi
Connoisseur

OK, smart guys. How do I cancel my New York Times subscription?
Old 03-23-2008, 09:31 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Stop paying for it?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #11
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Just go to your Kindle subscriptions online and cancel it. Navigate there via the Kindle link on Amazon's front page in the drop down menu on the left. At the moment, Amazon is featuring the Kindle on the front page so you won't need to use the drop down menu. Once you click on the Kindle link click on the "Manage your Kindle" tab and your subscriptions are down the page.

HTH
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:35 PM   #12
spirits
Connoisseur
spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Saudi View Post
Find, be reasonable. See if that gets you any friends.

But of course you are right. On the other hand, who the heck else save Amazon repairs the things? Am I supposed to trash it?

And on a related note, how long is the back order nowadays?
Don't you think it's reasonable to have them repair it without cost? Well, i guess it depends on how it was dropped, but I mean they did advertise through the drop test. They're not obligated, but you should try to ask them and see how they'd respond. I mean that WAS one of the reason why you bought amazon kindle right? You saw the drop test.

Get back to us.

I personally bought Lenovo laptop because they advertised durability. If just a little small accident caused the laptop to break, I'd think they're dishonest for advertising the durability factor. But so far, I stepped on it, spilled things on it, etc... it's still alive. And I'm currently advertising for them cause I'm satisfied.

Last edited by spirits; 03-23-2008 at 04:40 PM.
spirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:59 PM   #13
Paul in Saudi
Connoisseur

Well I presume having the electronics people poke around with the fool thing voids any warrantee.

Amazon sent me a nice note on how to cancel the subscription. Easy once you find the correct page.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:47 PM   #14
spirits
Connoisseur
spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

That simply sucked.

I can see how if I have a Kindle I suspect could be fixed without amazon's help, i would probably do it myself as well both to save shipping cost and shortening the length of time to get my hands on it again.

Ask them, I'm very curious myself how Amazon would handle these issues.
spirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:06 PM   #15
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
As long as you're rebuilding it... change the ugly case?

I tried to resist. Not hard, but I did try.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote