Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-07-2010, 09:31 AM   #136
Jsimon
Enthusiast
Jsimon began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Library loan

Any time frame (even an approximate) on the library loan front? We're all waiting anxiously.
Jsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:06 AM   #137
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
So far, nice app for ePub (I'm on an iTouch 3rd gen, with iOS 4.1), but PDF isn't quite there for me yet. I'd need to see the text in a readable font size, not just the page image (small screen, "mature" eyes). My big priority right now is finding a reader app that copes well with both ePub and PDF, since running PDFs through Calibre (or anything else) tends to have somewhat spotty results.

In ePub, text is very clear and readable, and the controls are easy to use. Like the choice of page switching effects, too.

Great start with 1.0, looking forward to seeing future developments.
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #138
theBell
theBell began at the beginning.

Device: Irex
making $ on this app?

This app is great and definitely appreciated by the Apple mobile community. My question is how does it make money to fund the development?
theBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #139
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Just loaded this app (not having seen it prior to reading this thread). Sadly, it crashed on my 3GS and the entire phone froze. Reboot fixed but I'm a bit reluctant to give it another go, so it has gone. For me, back to Stanza.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:34 PM   #140
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by theBell View Post
This app is great and definitely appreciated by the Apple mobile community. My question is how does it make money to fund the development?
I suspect that once they have the Adobe bookstores setup, they'll earn a affiliate fee from ebook sales referrals.

Which i'm guessing is why library book support isn't on the first priority list.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #141
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Just loaded this app (not having seen it prior to reading this thread). Sadly, it crashed on my 3GS and the entire phone froze. Reboot fixed but I'm a bit reluctant to give it another go, so it has gone. For me, back to Stanza.
Is your phone jailbroken? There's a number of us with Jailbroken iphones/ipods who are affected by the crash upon exiting the app.
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:39 PM   #142
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
I suspect that once they have the Adobe bookstores setup, they'll earn a affiliate fee from ebook sales referrals.

Which i'm guessing is why library book support isn't on the first priority list.
That is right, we will earn affiliate fees from stores, some good ones will be in there this month.

That said, supporting library loans *is* on the first priority list.
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:53 PM   #143
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsimon View Post
Any time frame (even an approximate) on the library loan front? We're all waiting anxiously.
Sorry, very soon is about the best I can say as of today. I promise to post here on this forum as soon as we have something to announce.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:26 AM   #144
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

I'm interested in connecting with a library that would like to showcase downloading of library eBooks to iPhone/iPad.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:43 AM   #145
leonardfrye
Enthusiast
leonardfrye began at the beginning.

Device: KindlePW
Will downloading from a web site using something like:

bluefirereader://download/http://www.mywebsite.com/epub/mybook.epub

be supported in the next release?
leonardfrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:32 PM   #146
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardfrye View Post
Will downloading from a web site using something like:

bluefirereader://download/http://www.mywebsite.com/epub/mybook.epub

be supported in the next release?
You nailed it.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #147
egarbacz
egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.egarbacz could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Boox Nova2
Micah, is there anything being down with the page turn speed? Bluefire seems to be a lot slower with the page turns then most other apps. I would love to see autoscoll but in the meantime faster page turns would be enough.

I also noticed that initial loading of the book can take a long time. This usually isn't a problem since the app opens where you last left off. But lately I noticed that a couple of times a day when I open Bluefire it has to reopen the book, when it is done loading it opens to the last page I was on. This can be frustrating because I only read in small chunks of time so having to wait a minute or so for the book to open isn't fun.

Thanks for the app, I am looking forward to the next version.
egarbacz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:19 PM   #148
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

an update to Bluefire Reader is now available on App Store. Top New Feature: support for library loan eBooks!
Old 11-10-2010, 08:26 PM   #149
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
I'm interested in connecting with a library that would like to showcase downloading of library eBooks to iPhone/iPad.
I would suggest contacting the Cleveland and NYC libraries, since they have been offering OverDrive service for many years.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:36 PM   #150
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Bluefire Reader update changes:
More text size choices and text can now be made very large
Support for the .acsm file type - works in standard URL or Open-in (does not work via iTunes file sharing)
New Link Protocol for direct download to Bluefire Reader from link in Mobile Safari for non-protected files (epub and pdf) it is: "bluefirereader://download/<url>.pdf or epub
The previous link protocol for protected items (bluefirereader://fulfill/<url>.acsm) now works with Overdrive

We had lots of other goodies planned for this release, but we decided to pour all our energy into library loans and get that out ASAP.