Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-10-2010, 11:16 PM   #1
clarkcz
clarkcz began at the beginning.

Device: Irex dr1000s
Smile 950 available at bestbuy.com

Hey, guys, I just found that prs 950 is ready to order online at bestbuy.com now. It takes about 10 days to ship with standard onground shippment though.
Sony fans are ready to go.
clarkcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:21 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
It's backordered!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
clarkcz
clarkcz began at the beginning.

Device: Irex dr1000s
At least we know it's coming within 15 days. I have been looking forwards to this for a while. I like its WIFI, touch pad, and smaller size than 900

Last edited by clarkcz; 10-10-2010 at 11:40 PM.
clarkcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:49 AM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Yes, many of us are anxious for the 950's arrival! However, I seem to remember last year that the PRS-900 was on backorder at Best Buy for longer than indicated initially so I'm not going to get my hopes up..... Still no change on the Sony website or notification emails indicating preorder is an option yet.

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 10-11-2010 at 12:51 AM. Reason: typo
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
jackinca
Connoisseur
jackinca began at the beginning.

Device: sony 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Yes, many of us are anxious for the 950's arrival! However, I seem to remember last year that the PRS-900 was on backorder at Best Buy for longer than indicated initially so I'm not going to get my hopes up..... Still no change on the Sony website or notification emails indicating preorder is an option yet.
And I seem to remember that ABT.com had the 900 before Bestbuy. ABT is still calling for November but in black. As we all know, Sony is advertising only in silver as is Bestbuy.
jackinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Sony hasn't even released the 950 yet and still doesn't even show a release date. Curious as to why BB lists the 950 but doesn't list the 650.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
This happened to me last year with BB. Ended taking a month longer than the date listed on the site. Do not get excited about the mere fact that they have it on its website.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
This happened to me last year with BB. Ended taking a month longer than the date listed on the site. Do not get excited about the mere fact that they have it on its website.
My local Best Buy had the 300 in stock for over two weeks last Fall before they even placed them on a shelf. I knew they were in stock and had to talk to three different managers before they would go into the storage room and bring one out to sell me. And that was after two trips and several phone calls. They placed the covers for the 300 on a shelf near the computer mice and keyboards, but took more than two weeks to place the 300 on a shelf next to the covers!

As far the 950, it took my local BB until December to stock the 900 last year, I suspect the same time frame for the 950 this year.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #9
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
My local Best Buy had the 300 in stock for over two weeks last Fall before they even placed them on a shelf. I knew they were in stock and had to talk to three different managers before they would go into the storage room and bring one out to sell me. And that was after two trips and several phone calls. They placed the covers for the 300 on a shelf near the computer mice and keyboards, but took more than two weeks to place the 300 on a shelf next to the covers!

As far the 950, it took my local BB until December to stock the 900 last year, I suspect the same time frame for the 950 this year.
What's interesting is that if I choose the local pick up option it gives a firm date of when it'll be available for pick-up: 11/01. Makes one wonder…
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:04 AM   #10
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
You will get an email a couple of days before the pickup date saying it has been delayed through no fault of their own.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:21 AM   #11
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
You will get an email a couple of days before the pickup date saying it has been delayed through no fault of their own.
That's all right, I didn't actually submit the order. Gotta wait for porkupan to get his hands on one first
Old 10-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #12
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Yes, last year the 900 was available on the site but ended up being delayed for well over a month from the initial delivery date. And I ordered it late, there are some people that waited for over two months for it to ship.

They have it on their site so you order and then they hope that you'll be like most people and just wait for it to actually be available. I had no problem with waiting, but would have found the entire experience much more pleasant had they been upfront about the length of the delay.

From what I remember at the time, orders placed through Sony shipped much more quickly than orders placed elsewhere.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:43 AM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I seem to remember that the 900 was supposed to be available in Nov but then the date slipped? And I think Sony had to ship quickly because it was only a week or two before Christmas, and they wanted to get the product into some people's hands at least. I do recall reading many posts on here about people complaining about the Best Buy delays and that was why I ordered mine through the Sony website. Typically I would just stop by my local Sony Style store, but I don't think they even had demo models available at that time. Let's hope the 950 launch goes much smoother this year!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #14
dmapr
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I seem to remember that the 900 was supposed to be available in Nov but then the date slipped? And I think Sony had to ship quickly because it was only a week or two before Christmas, and they wanted to get the product into some people's hands at least. I do recall reading many posts on here about people complaining about the Best Buy delays and that was why I ordered mine through the Sony website. Typically I would just stop by my local Sony Style store, but I don't think they even had demo models available at that time. Let's hope the 950 launch goes much smoother this year!
Last year I ordered the 900 from sonystyle.com and I had it in my hands a few weeks before the local Sony Style store got theirs in, so I too hope the 950 will not repeat that pattern.