Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to the new Kindle Paperwhite 2.
Yes, upgrading from Kindle Paperwhite 1 60 28.71%
Yes, upgrading from Kindle Touch 10 4.78%
Yes, upgrading from Kindle 4 (non-touch) 9 4.31%
Yes, upgrading from Kindle 3 (non-touch) 19 9.09%
Yes, upgrading from older unlisted Kindle 2 0.96%
Yes, upgrading from a non-Amazon reader 8 3.83%
No, not enough improvements over Kindle Paperwhite 1 57 27.27%
No, not enough improvements over my non-Amazon reader 8 3.83%
No, just not interested in the Paperwhite 2 7 3.35%
No, dammit I still want my turn buttons back! 8 3.83%
Ordered but might return, I want to see if it is worth keeping 3 1.44%
Ordered but might return, depends on screen lighting improvements 8 3.83%
Undecided on whether to order 21 10.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #61
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I can't remember which review video(s) now, but I did see large shadow blobs in at least one video, and most of the early videos showed blueish screens. I haven't looked at any newer reviews yet. I'm hoping there will be some better reviews than the pathetic ones I saw early on that were conducted by folks who are not true eInk afficionados and thus don't have a clue as to what is important in reviewing them.
I watched one video where I saw something but I assumed it was shadows from something above and not color blobs. I hope at least! The other video I saw I thought it looked pretty good really. I saw the blue screens too, but I'm thinking there must be a reason for it showing up that way. I really don't think they will be blue like that in person, that would be crazy.

I scan the net pretty much daily for new reviews and videos as I'd really like to get a better look at it, but I may just have to see it in person to really know. I did find one review here:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/09/...rwhite-review/

that states "the Kindle team took this year's upgrade seriously. According to Limp, they experimented with up to 25 different ways to illuminate text." and

"and a new built-in light Amazon says should eliminate any sort of lighting issues some readers had last year."

Not that it means anything really. It's a little hard for me not to be skeptical after last years experience, but one can still hope.

Last edited by sparklemotion; 09-13-2013 at 05:33 PM. Reason: edited link
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #62
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I was going to wait, but I gave in and pre-ordered after reading some more articles and seeing some videos. Patience is not my strong point apparently, at least when it comes to new kindles. I figure I have a couple of weeks to cancel if I change my mind.
Now, let's talk covers.....
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #63
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Now, let's talk covers.....
Bahaha. Believe me, I've been reading all of the cover threads every day like it's my job!
Old 09-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #64
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
My formatting was not working correctly. I have just discovered that if I format my books to AZW3 instead of mobi, my formatting will be preserved. So now I am happy with the text display.

Yeah, AZW3 is just MOBI updated to make full use of the source html formatting. Always use AZW3 if you can
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #65
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I watched one video where I saw something but I assumed it was shadows from something above and not color blobs. I hope at least! The other video I saw I thought it looked pretty good really. I saw the blue screens too, but I'm thinking there must be a reason for it showing up that way. I really don't think they will be blue like that in person, that would be crazy.

I scan the net pretty much daily for new reviews and videos as I'd really like to get a better look at it, but I may just have to see it in person to really know. I did find one review here:

that states "the Kindle team took this year's upgrade seriously. According to Limp, they experimented with up to 25 different ways to illuminate text." and

"and a new built-in light Amazon says should eliminate any sort of lighting issues some readers had last year."

Not that it means anything really. It's a little hard for me not to be skeptical after last years experience, but one can still hope.
Can you check the link URL, it doesn't seem to work? The blue screens concern me because all three PW1s I tried had blueish screens when the light was at the proper setting to read. Turning the light all the way up helped the blue go away but then it was too bright to read.
Advert
Old 09-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #66
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Can you check the link URL, it doesn't seem to work? The blue screens concern me because all three PW1s I tried had blueish screens when the light was at the proper setting to read. Turning the light all the way up helped the blue go away but then it was too bright to read.
Ah, interesting. I hadn't experienced that on any of mine - and hope not to with this new one! lol. Sorry about the link, here you go:

Old 09-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #67
OddCosine
Connoisseur
OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I saw the blue screens too, but I'm thinking there must be a reason for it showing up that way. I really don't think they will be blue like that in person, that would be crazy.
I'm pretty sure the blue screens I've seen in video reviews were caused by a camera with its white balance set for indoor lighting. That will make something emitting white-ish light appear blue.

I'm upgrading from a Kindle Touch, so I'm hoping for a significant (non-blue) upgrade. This will be my first front-lit eink reader, and I'm hoping I like it well enough to use it at night. Currently I use a 1st gen Fire for night reading, and in night mode with the screen full dim it's incredibly comfortable to read. It's hard to imagine the PW2 being better, but I hope it's good enough. The software differences between the Fire and Touch are significant and I'd like to unify my reading experiences.

I think the only way I'll cancel my PW2 pre-order is if Amazon announces something similar to the Aura HD.
OddCosine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #68
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddCosine View Post
I'm pretty sure the blue screens I've seen in video reviews were caused by a camera with its white balance set for indoor lighting. That will make something emitting white-ish light appear blue.

I'm upgrading from a Kindle Touch, so I'm hoping for a significant (non-blue) upgrade. This will be my first front-lit eink reader, and I'm hoping I like it well enough to use it at night. Currently I use a 1st gen Fire for night reading, and in night mode with the screen full dim it's incredibly comfortable to read. It's hard to imagine the PW2 being better, but I hope it's good enough. The software differences between the Fire and Touch are significant and I'd like to unify my reading experiences.

I think the only way I'll cancel my PW2 pre-order is if Amazon announces something similar to the Aura HD.
Thanks for the thoughts on the blue screen, that makes sense. I have the PW1 now and while I really love it, I had issues with color hues. I'm really hoping they've solved it and the PW2 is perfect. I have the kindle fire too, but I much prefer my PW for night reading. I hope you're happy with yours!
Old 09-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #69
Dee Q
Born Yesterday
Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2 & Kindle Scribe
As a non-native speaker, I just love the fact that the New PaperWhite shows phonetic transcriptions of words in the pop-up. As far as I know, we have to view the full entry to see the transcription in the previous versions of Kindle.
Dee Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:39 AM   #70
s4nder
Connoisseur
s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I upgraded to Kobo Aura HD instead. It's great.
s4nder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #71
Outrager
Connoisseur
Outrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
I just sold my Kindle Keyboard with 3G and non-SO and probably going to get the new Paperwhite Wi-Fi with SO. I never used the 3G and actually turned on SO on the KK just to get some of the deals.

I'm not going to pre-order (I hope this doesn't bite me in the butt and they are back ordered until Dec like the first PW.) because I want to see if users have any big complaints. If there's anything major in the build quality it'll probably show up within a week so I'll order it a week after its release. I know the first PW had some uneven/blue lighting issues. I don't want to have to return it multiple times to find one with no problems. I already had to exchange 2 KKs because they would constantly reboot when used with a lighted leather cover.
Outrager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #72
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
The clock is ticking on my possible return of PW1 that I've had for 3 weeks. But I really cannot find any fault with it and I like the yellow tint. I actually enjoy it is not blindingly white. I know myself, as soon as new reviews start I'll be kicking myself I didn't return it while I still could. I'd be kicking myself if I returned it and got a lemon/torchlight. Either way I'll be kicking myself, I just know it.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #73
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
The clock is ticking on my possible return of PW1 that I've had for 3 weeks. But I really cannot find any fault with it and I like the yellow tint. I actually enjoy it is not blindingly white. I know myself, as soon as new reviews start I'll be kicking myself I didn't return it while I still could. I'd be kicking myself if I returned it and got a lemon/torchlight. Either way I'll be kicking myself, I just know it.
Return it!!! You know you want to!

If both the Paperwhite 1 and the Paperwhite 2 were up for sale today, which would you buy? I know which one I would prefer.

Getting a lemon is a risk with any electronic purchase, but Amazon is very good about exchanges. I wouldn't worry about it being a torchlight; the highest setting may be brighter, but you can always use it at a lower setting.

/enabling
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #74
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
If I hadn't just bought (or rather nagged my husband into buying for a mother's day gift) an Aura HD I would seriously consider this as my first Kindle. I have been toying with the idea of getting a Kindle since my first eink purchase (I was deciding between the Kindle 2 and the PRS-505 but ended up getting the 505. I never regretted it, but I have always wanted an eink Kindle as a backup). As it is I am very happy with my Aura HD, but I'm looking forward to seeing what the new screen looks like on the PW. How about adding a option to vote for "If I get that job I've been praying for I'll pick one up as a Christmas gift to myself"?
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #75
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
Did you decide what you'll do?