Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
Frotz
Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle touch
A4/letter sized e-ink

Every now and then I see a story about someone making an A4/letter sized e-ink-based reader. But nothing ever comes of it. Does anyone know of such a device that's not vaporware? Something like this would be nice for reading the various PDF files I have that just don't work well with smaller screens.
Frotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:44 AM   #2
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
I too would love an A4 eink device for my PDF's, is there any technical reason they don't make larger Eink screens.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2013, 04:48 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just a matter of economics, I suspect. The market for such a device would be extremely limited. Most people who want large screen devices want them for things like magazines, which a colour tablet is much better suited for. Students (who would, I would guess, be the primary market for a device like this) tend not to have a lot of money, and it would almost inevitably be very expensive.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #4
Beginner-reader
Enthusiast
Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
I'm a student, so I'm very interested in such a device. It's a shame they never sold the DX where I live.
Beginner-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner-reader View Post
I'm a student, so I'm very interested in such a device. It's a shame they never sold the DX where I live.
But would you be willing to pay, say, $500, for such a device? Realistically, they would probably cost at least that much.
Advert
Old 01-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
Beginner-reader
Enthusiast
Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well no, obviously I don't have the money.
I didn't even get that much for Christmas (all relatives included).
I'd gladly buy a DX though. Hopefully Amazon will start selling them again, or they'll come up with an even better product.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
If you are willing to put up with the rather old firmware on the DX and just care about eInk screen size, new and refurbished models sporadically are sold at substantial discounts on WOOT or Amazon Daily Deals. Also, check the Amazon Warehouse Deals section too.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...8058&_from=R40
You can bid on the Kindle DX on ebay.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But would you be willing to pay, say, $500, for such a device? Realistically, they would probably cost at least that much.
The Plastic Logic was listing for US$699 right up to the scheduled release, when it got cancelled.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The Plastic Logic was listing for US$699 right up to the scheduled release, when it got cancelled.
Yes, I know, but these days eInk could probably make an A4 screen for a little less, should they decide to do so (but I don't think they will).
Old 01-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?...tId=0&manual=y

Well, looks like you can buy a 9.7" screen for less than $150, although even the knock-off products cost at least $200. 9.7" is quite a bit smaller than true A4 though, so it would cost even more. I don't even think they make LCD tablets that are A4.

In comparison, the screens alone for 6" readers seem to be retailing for about $30ish at the lowest. (http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?...tId=0&manual=y). Of course, Amazon is probably paying way less for them. I found an iSuppli teardown claiming that in 2011 Amazon was paying that much for the screens. (http://www.mainstreet.com/article/sm...-costs-84-make)

Interestingly I see on that site that the cheapest 6" e-ink reader (as opposed to just the screen) is $65, which means that Amazon is not selling theirs for much more.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #12
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Until they can make the screens from light, flexible material, I don't see anything above 9.7" as being practical. That reader is already pretty heavy. With the current technology, the larger the screen, the stiffer they have to make the reader against bending and twisting. That means stronger glass and a beefier case, which all adds up to more weight. The resolution only goes up with the linear dimension L, but the weight will go up at least as L squared (probably more to boost the stiffness), and the torque on the fingers and wrists will go up as L times the weight.

My 9.7" reader's screen is almost exactly the size of a letter-sized piece of paper folded in half. So, a letter sized screen would be roughly equivalent to two of my current ereaders laid side-by-side. Even without added weight to make the case stiffer, the thing would be unwieldy.

There are some flexible, plastic-substrate displays in development, so I live in hope that they can be used to produce larger displays someday. But who knows when that will be?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #13
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I wouldn't want a reader that big - surely it would be heavy and awkward to hold?

I suppose it would be useful for people with low vision who need to use a really big font size.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #14
Beginner-reader
Enthusiast

Since I don't live in the US, I can't bid on the DX.
It's fine though, I'll wait for a bigger e-book reader. I love my Kindle, so it's all good. I use k2opt pdf a lot when I have to read stuff for college.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #15
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
$130 for refurb DXs on clearance.
http://compare.ebay.com/like/350675626726?afsrc=1
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-ink a4 letter vaporware