Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-11-2013, 05:28 AM   #46
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One/Kobo Touch/iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I'm not sure what you say is true, ApK, and anyway we're severely off-topic here. All I can say is, I never use the default Music or Video apps on iOS, because they are clearly inferior compared to better apps serving identical purposes. And that's what I meant by "lack of familiarity" with iOS: default apps and ways of doing things are often lame or ineffective, but that doesn't mean you can't install better apps and do things more effectively in iOS.
ok...you put some video file into say oplayer hd. file wont work, or it dont look good. you want to try it in say av player hd. you have to go back to computer, transfer the same file into avplayer either through wifi, or if app doesnt have wifi transfer through usb. the same with ebooks. if some books arent looking good, or yoy are not satisfied how it handles say some epub, you have to repeat same process again. it s boring, stupid and time consuming...and whatever third party apps you have, apple apps will always be Default apps for that kind of files and you cant change that...
Tacty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:04 AM   #47
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacty View Post
ok...you put some video file into say oplayer hd. file wont work, or it dont look good. you want to try it in say av player hd. you have to go back to computer, transfer the same file into avplayer either through wifi, or if app doesnt have wifi transfer through usb. the same with ebooks. if some books arent looking good, or yoy are not satisfied how it handles say some epub, you have to repeat same process again.
Yes, this is true.
One workaround is to store all your books in a central app, such as Goodreader, and Open In to the app you want to use, but it is a workaround, there is no central file storage in iOS.

Quote:
and whatever third party apps you have, apple apps will always be Default apps for that kind of files and you cant change that...
That has no relevance to reading. If you try to open an epub from Safari, for example, it will offer 'Open in iBooks' and 'Open in...'. The second option will give you a list of all installed apps which have registered epub as a handled file-type. You are not forced to use iBooks.
murraypaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #48
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Yes, this is true.
One workaround is to store all your books in a central app, such as Goodreader, and Open In to the app you want to use, but it is a workaround, there is no central file storage in iOS.

That has no relevance to reading. If you try to open an epub from Safari, for example, it will offer 'Open in iBooks' and 'Open in...'. The second option will give you a list of all installed apps which have registered epub as a handled file-type. You are not forced to use iBooks.
Furthermore, the Open In defaults to the last thing you selected for that type of file. It learns what you prefer.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #49
dasaint
dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dasaint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Kindle Touch ,Kindle 3 and PRS500
I wasn't sure about getting an iPad mini but after I went to the store held it and tried out .it's sold so I got rid of my iPod and simply just been bought the new iPod mini for my needs it has been almost 2 weeks now and I'm very very happy on how I read my magazines , my books ,browsing and watching some movies
dasaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #50
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacty View Post
ok...you put some video file into say oplayer hd. file wont work, or it dont look good. you want to try it in say av player hd. you have to go back to computer, transfer the same file into avplayer either through wifi, or if app doesnt have wifi transfer through usb. the same with ebooks. if some books arent looking good, or yoy are not satisfied how it handles say some epub, you have to repeat same process again. it s boring, stupid and time consuming...
That's nonsense, Tacty. Posting the above shows your lack of familiarity with iOS -- you don't know yet how to use it efficiently. I almost exclusively use cloud software like Dropbox and SugarSync to transfer files to my iOS devices, so that the issue you mention never comes up. Once a file (any type of file) is available in your Dropbox or SugarSync app, you can pick any app on your iDevice you want to open that file in. If you dislike the file in that particular app, you just open it in a different app. In this sense, Dropbox/SugarSync work like the Finder and Windows Explorer on traditional computers. There is zero loss of time.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #51
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
That's nonsense, Tacty. Posting the above shows your lack of familiarity with iOS -- you don't know yet how to use it efficiently. I almost exclusively use cloud software like Dropbox and SugarSync to transfer files to my iOS devices, so that the issue you mention never comes up. Once a file (any type of file) is available in your Dropbox or SugarSync app, you can pick any app on your iDevice you want to open that file in. If you dislike the file in that particular app, you just open it in a different app. In this sense, Dropbox/SugarSync work like the Finder and Windows Explorer on traditional computers. There is zero loss of time.
Oh bull. Anybody else reading...try it. Don't fall for this baloney. Try to get an mp3 file from Dropbox into the ipod music player. Good luck.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #52
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Angry

Who's talking about MP3 files and the iPod music player all of a sudden here? Your ignorance is monumental. I don't listen to music on my iDevices, but I do read books and watch movies on them, and what Tacty was writing about them is flat-out wrong.

The preferred method for handling music is iTunes Match, another cloud service that makes the same songs available across all your iOS mobile devices as well as on traditional computers. No manual transfer of songs is ever necessary.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:12 AM   #53
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
gosh, what on earth dropbox has to do with ios ( and my so called unfamiliarity with it)? first of all, my upload speed is so poor that i would need two days to put some bigger file into dropbox, so any kind of cloud services is out of the question...and it's not s rare to have poor broadband speed even in developing countries...
Old 01-12-2013, 05:23 AM   #54
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Angry

You meant developed countries. The iPad is an advanced tool for standard conditions of the present-day. If you can't even use Dropbox, your conditions are sub-standard for the present day. I admit that uploading movies to the cloud makes little sense. But to say you can't upload books to Dropbox is ridiculous. That would be like blaming the iPad if you had no electricity at home to charge it. Anyway, in practice I encounter none of the issues you mention, and we're being extremely off-topic here.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:30 AM   #55
Tacty
Zealot

Quote:
You meant developed countries. The iPad is an advanced tool for standard conditions of the present-day. If you can't even use Dropbox, your conditions are sub-standard for the present day. I admit that uploading movies to the cloud makes little sense. But to say you can't upload books to Dropbox is ridiculous. That would be like blaming the iPad if you had no electricity at home to charge it. Anyway, in practice I encounter none of the issues you mention, and we're being extremely off-topic here.
oh, i'm substandard now, substandard human beign for such an elitist idevices...good to know...you are walking advertising for everything wrong about apple and its cult followers...
Old 01-12-2013, 05:39 AM   #56
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Right. Apple cultist, Kindle & Android & Windows (x3) user all in one person. Enough. Thanks & bye.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #57
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I'm thinking of getting the iPad mini and perhaps getting rid of one of my android tablets. The instability and bugginess is driving me crazy. They keep, rebooting and turning themselves off and wiping my SD cards. I want something reliable and portable.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #58
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
I want something reliable and portable.
You've got it in iPad mini, then. I'd wait for the version with a Retina screen, however; it's incomparable to a traditional display.

No matter how maddening the Apple-imposed limitations of iOS can often be, the reliability of these machines is astonishing, close to perfect. (Of course, Apple advocates would claim the reliability is ensured thanks to those very limitations, and they may be right.)
Old 01-14-2013, 02:50 AM   #59
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
I swapped an Android tablet to the iPad for exactly the reasons you quoted. I gave my iPad to my wife and bought the mini in early December. The best thing I did, great form factor, great weight and size, it just works. For my use I really can't see the difference between retrina displays and iPad 2 / iPad mini screens, must be my old eyes but for me they seem to be a lot of hype.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:00 AM   #60
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

No hype (except for the imprecise monicker itself). The diffence between an iPad 3+ screen and an iPad 1 or iPad 2 screen is dramatic; the earlier screens are positively grainy compared to them. I know, because I see them daily side-by-side. And the iPhone 4+'s screen is even sharper.

The current iPad mini screen won't be as "grainy" as iPad 1 or iPad 2, but only thanks to its smaller diameter, not better display quality. To me, there is no going back to screens below 200 ppi, and the current iPad mini is way below that. iPhone 4+ leads the way with over 300 ppi, and that is no hype.