Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-23-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
Penjak44
Penjak44 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950
Reader Library books lost

I hope someone here can help me. I just purchased a new Sony Reader PRS-950 and was unable to sync it to my Reader Library. I called Sony Support and the tech remoted into my computer. He reinstalled the Reader Library software and deleted all the books I had except for the ones I bought from the Sony Reader Store. This is over 700 books that I had from Google Books, Project Gutenberg, my school assignments, and others. It took me years to build up this library and now it is all gone. Sony cannot, or will not, help me with any books that I did not purchase from them.
I have an external hard drive that backs up using Apple's Time Machine (I have a MAC). When I use it to restore my Reader Library, the books are still missing. Is there any way to recover these books? I'm so upset with Sony that I am returning the reader, but I would still like to access my digital library using another device. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Penjak44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
When Reader Library is reinstalled you won't see any of your books in the software until they are re-imported. Do you know where you kept copies of all of your old books? They should still be there in your Time Machine backup to restore. I would try the folder Documents > My Books > Reader Library from a backup dated before the reinstall. Also if you were using an older version of Reader Library, then books used to be stored in a folder something like eBook Library.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had another thought. Have you done a search for EPUB or PDF files to see if your files are still on your hard-drive before you bother with your Time Machine backup?
Old 12-23-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
Penjak44

I will check both of your suggestions. Thank you & Happy Holidays.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #5
CandyDane
Enthusiast
CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CandyDane has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad 4
Sony Reader has an "import folder", not just an "import files". If all your non-Sony-store books are in the same folder, you should be able to import all of them at one time.
CandyDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Another approach might be to use the Windows <restore> option to return to a setup prior to the problem.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:45 PM   #7
Penjak44

I have a Mac. I tried using Time Machine to restore an older Reader Library, but the books were gone from there as well. I also tried Bookworm_Girl's suggestions and there are no books there either. I don't know what that Sony tech did, but he wiped out everything and Sony refuses to take responsibility.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:04 PM   #8
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
I guess this wouldn't help if you already did a file or spotlight search as Bookworm_Girl suggested, but where did you store the files before you imported them into the Reader Library? Is it possible they still exist in whatever folder they were in when you originally downloaded them?

(Why did he delete them in the first place, anyway?)
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:13 PM   #9
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
He may have done (some sort of) a format, and replaced the Sony ones?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:25 PM   #10
Penjak44

I didn't store them anywhere except in the Reader Library. I thought they were safe there. Most of them I got from Google Books and they downloaded directly to my library. I didn't know he was deleting anything. My wife works in IT and she always does a backup of user files before reinstalling any software. I don't know why Sony would allow such incompetence and then make no offer of restitution. I plan on switching to the Nookcolor if I can find a way to safeguard my files.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

When I download a Google book through the Sony store they go in the Reader Library folder that I mentioned. I did a reinstall of Reader Library for Mac last weekend. I didn't lose any of the files in that folder so it's odd that you can't find yours. There is another folder that you might want to check. I'm pretty sure this folder is overwritten by the reinstall. However you should check the Time Machine backup. Look in Documents > Library for some folders that say Sony Corp or Reader Library. Within these folders are the database folders. I recall there is a folder like kLibrary which sometimes has downloaded books in it. Sorry, I'm typing on a mobile away from my Mac at the moment so I'm going by memory.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I found the name of another folder you should check. I was pretty close by memory. Here is the path: Library/Preferences/Sony Corporation/Reader/Database/kLibrary. This folder is where files that you import into Reader Library from removable media get placed (e.g. SD cards, CDs, USB thumb drives). Maybe you have some files there? Worth a try at least.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:25 PM   #13
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
I didn't store them anywhere except in the Reader Library
But in order to import the titles into the REader Library software, the files must have existed somewhere. Can you search the external hard drive for the actual files (EPUB, PDF, LRF)?

Also, the Sony Library is much like iTunes. The files aren't moved "into" the Library, the Library just maintains a pointer to the actual file on your hard drive or other media.

Hope that helps.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:48 PM   #14
Penjak44

Hi Bookworm_Girl,
That was a winner! I found over 300 books in the klibrary file! Please let me know if you think of any other places to look. I now am saving all my eBooks in a separate folder for insurance. I think I will also start burning them to DVDs as another backup.
I am still angry that you thought of this, but the Sony Support tech didn't think to look there at all when he remoted into my computer.
I can't thank you enough for all your help!
Old 12-23-2010, 10:06 PM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Awesome! I'm glad you found some of your books! Yes, I think it would be good to burn them to CD and keep them somewhere safe in the future. I don't know why the Tech didn't offer more help but at least MobileRead is a good resource!

Tags
back up, reader library software, recovery, sony 950, sony support