Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-27-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
How do I open ebook on my Mac?

Before I purchase my Sony PS 350 I would like to test out how to borrow library books. I got a library card, selected a book, checked it out and downloaded the item to my computer. I installed Adobe Digital Editions on my Mac computer, then want to click on "Add item to Library" but now the ebook is shaded out. I cannot click on it to open it, add it.
The item is an acsm-file and have not idea what that means. Anyone can help me out please? THanks !!

It it opens, the next step would be to plug in USB (IF I get my Sony ereader device) and go from there?
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
ACSM is simply the tag to get your book... think of it as a library ticket for the book... next step is to double click and it should then D/L from the library to your computer at which point you have the book to transfer to your ereader... Look elsewhere for more info but I have a memory of either ADE or Sony Reader Library misbehaving on the Mac for library books but it doesn't matter, you simply use the one that works... someone else will remember and advise...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2011, 10:26 PM   #3
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
An acsm file is kind of like a ticket to get an e-book. After you download an acsm file, go to the Downloads folder with Finder and open the file. Adobe Digital Editions should open and download the ebook, *but* if you're leaning toward Sony, you should probably delete Adobe Digital Editions, since the Mac version doesn't support the Sony Reader.

Sony Reader Library software supports library ebooks as well as ebooks purchased from Sony and third-party stores, so you should install that instead. Once installed, open the ebook Store (from the left pane of the application) and create an account. After you're registered, you can use DRM-protected files, including library ebooks. Just click the acsm file from Finder and Reader Library will process the file and download the ebook.

When you get your new reader, you can set up Reader Library to automatic sync or manually drag/drop books to the device via USB.

Alternately, you could use Calibre to transfer books to your device, but you'll still need Reader Library or Adobe Digital Editions to turn acsm files into ebooks.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:56 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I have an older MacBook Pro (2008 silver key version) and am running OS X 10.5.8. Library books work fine with the Mac. My local library has a great selection, and I borrow quite frequently from them!

One caution: the Sony ereaders don't work with the Adobe Digital Edition software. ADE for Mac installs fine on your Mac, but your Sony ereader won't show up as a device to transfer to. As of January, there are no plans to fix this issue. No problem though. You just need to install the Sony Reader Library software on your Mac. You can open the ACSM file with the Sony software and transfer it to your Sony ereader with the Sony software just fine. That's what I do! The process is the same for ACSM files from your e-library or from other e-bookstores like Kobo, Borders, Booksonboard, etc.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:22 PM   #5
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for everyone's help so far. OK I did doubleclicked the ascm file, nothing happened. I went to the download folder with Finder and opened the file...nothing happened. So something is not right.
Advert
Old 03-27-2011, 11:34 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The ACSM file should show up in your Downloads folder. Rather than double-click the ACSM have you tried the equivalent of right-click on the ACSM file? When I do that I have an option that says Open With and then it allows me to select either ADE or Sony Reader Library.

Alternatively, within the Finder window, I would select the ACSM file in the Downloads folder. Then type Cmd-I. In the Info box that opens, if you scroll down a bit, there should be a drop-down submenu for Open With. There is also a button to select "Change All..." to set the default program that works with double-click.

After you installed ADE, did you setup an Adobe Account email address and password to register your Mac with Adobe?
Old 03-27-2011, 11:41 PM   #7
redbees
Enthusiast
redbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Paperwhite 2, Nexus 7
bcgirl, I don't have a Mac, but maybe I can help by describing the way I open ascm files with ADE and with the Sony software. I open a window showing my Downloads folder, with the window half-sized or partially minimized so that it doesn't take up the whole computer screen. I then open ADE, also half-sized, and drag the ascm file into ADE. Sorry I don't know the correct terms for things in the Mac world, but maybe you will understand what I am getting at.

ETA: I am thrilled to learn through reading this thread that I can simply click on the ascm file, and either ADE or the Sony Library (or whatever it is called) software will open up and open the file. All that dragging-and-dropping was getting tedious.

Last edited by redbees; 03-28-2011 at 12:07 AM.
redbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:08 AM   #8
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think I see a flaw in this discussion... bcgirl doesn't have a reader yet and, I'm willing to bet, therefore doesn't have Sony Reader Library installed... with the Mac, you need it... it normally gets installed from the reader but is available to download from Sony themselves...
Old 03-28-2011, 12:27 AM   #9
bcgirl
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
I think I see a flaw in this discussion... bcgirl doesn't have a reader yet and, I'm willing to bet, therefore doesn't have Sony Reader Library installed... with the Mac, you need it... it normally gets installed from the reader but is available to download from Sony themselves...
That could be it, but then...I thought it was also possible to download books on your Mac computer if you want to read it on your screen?
Old 03-28-2011, 12:30 AM   #10
redbees
Enthusiast
redbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfolded

elcreative, I thought she mainly wanted to learn how to open an ascm file with *any* software, and didn't think to address how and where to get the Sony software. Sorry.

So, bcgirl, if you want to try out the Sony Reader Library software, go to their website, sonystyle.ca, and download it.

ETA: bcgirl, I see in your post above mine that you ask about reading on your computer. You can do so using either ADE or the Sony Reader Library software.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:39 AM   #11
bcgirl
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbees View Post
elcreative, I thought she mainly wanted to learn how to open an ascm file with *any* software, and didn't think to address how and where to get the Sony software. Sorry.

So, bcgirl, if you want to try out the Sony Reader Library software, go to their website, sonystyle.ca, and download it.

ETA: bcgirl, I see in your post above mine that you ask about reading on your computer. You can do so using either ADE or the Sony Reader Library software.
It starts to make sense. I removed the application Adobe Digital Editions to start 'fresh'. Then I went to Adobe webpage to download it again. Also there was a sample Ebook Library:http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/library/
where I downloaded a sample and that opened up automatically in the Adobe Digital Editions frame. Voila!
I think it got all mixed up because for now I wanted to try to read/borrow books on my Mac computer to see how that works, so I can purchase my sony PRS-350 sometime next week and know where to go from there.
Have a lot to learn, this is all so new to me.
I was reading a lot of ebooks on my tiny iPhone screen where I can download books from the web from Kobo, Kindle, anywhere. It is a bit different now, especially when you want to try out ebooks from a library.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:24 AM   #12
redbees
Enthusiast

bcgirl,
I'm glad things are coming together. So, you redownloaded ADE, and registered it to your Mac with an Adobe account email address, correct? Now you can get practice checking out, opening and reading a book from your local library, all on your computer.

After gaining that experience you can either download Sony's Reader Library software and install it in advance of buying your Sony, or you can wait, and you will find the Reader Library Software present on the reader, waiting to be installed on your Mac. You will need to register both your computer and reader with Sony, but their instructions for doing so are pretty clear, and oughtn't to present a problem.

Good luck.

Last edited by redbees; 03-28-2011 at 01:39 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:21 AM   #13
bcgirl
Groupie

Thanks everyone!!

Last edited by bcgirl; 03-28-2011 at 02:28 AM. Reason: delete message, it works now
Old 03-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Glad you are figuring out! Just for clarification for someone else reading this thread in the future... Yes, you should be able to read library books on your Mac with the ADE software. I open the ACSM file with ADE for Mac when I want to read them on my computer or transfer them to my NOOKcolor. It is just a compatability issue between ADE for Mac and the Sony ereaders. If you eventually buy a Sony ereader, then you will need to download the Sony Reader Library software and transfer library books that way. When you install the Sony software, just make sure that you use the same email address and passwords as the Adobe ID that you created for the ADE software.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:09 PM   #15
elcreative
Wizard

That's what I was trying to remember... obviously didn't stick in my memory because I don't use SRL, ADE or libray books from my Mac, just calibre and Drag'n'Drop...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Glad you are figuring out! Just for clarification for someone else reading this thread in the future... Yes, you should be able to read library books on your Mac with the ADE software. I open the ACSM file with ADE for Mac when I want to read them on my computer or transfer them to my NOOKcolor. It is just a compatability issue between ADE for Mac and the Sony ereaders. If you eventually buy a Sony ereader, then you will need to download the Sony Reader Library software and transfer library books that way. When you install the Sony software, just make sure that you use the same email address and passwords as the Adobe ID that you created for the ADE software.