View Poll Results: Do you like 3D
Yes. It improves my experience. 21 24.42%
No. It is annoying after the first few minutes. 49 56.98%
Not Applicable. I'm a 2D creature and can't see 3D 16 18.60%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Do you like 3D

I hate 3D. At least I do for more than five minutes. It does not add to the experience, it annoys me. Oh sure, it's cool at the onset, but then it gets old.

There's a new 3D tablet coming soon to the market. They have high hopes. Let's remake Citizen Kane that way too!

Quote:
Because no gadget, work of art, or experience is complete without a 3-D option...
http://www.technologyreview.com/blog...7789/?p1=blogs

The writer was being a bit snide in that opening remark. I bet he is like me.

I hope I'm not like one of those old fogies that said TV was just a trendy fashion that it will soon fall by the wayside, along with radio and the internet.

I really, really think 3D is just a trendy fashion. I'm okay if you answer "Yes" to the poll above. I just bet you won't in ten years.

Last edited by Rob Lister; 04-21-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lister View Post
I hope I'm not like one of those old fogies that said TV was just a trendy fashion that will soon fall by the wayside, along with radio and the internet.
You are, but then again so am I, at least in regards to 3D. I'm vaguely tempted to buy a second TV now and just put it in storage, since I think in 2 years' time there'll hardly be a non-3D set to be found. In other words I'm pretty convinced it's not a fad.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
You are, but then again so am I, at least in regards to 3D. I'm vaguely tempted to buy a second TV now and just put it in storage, since I think in 2 years' time there'll hardly be a non-3D set to be found. In other words I'm pretty convinced it's not a fad.
But you don't have to watch 3D if you don't wish to do so - 3D is simply a capability of the device, not one that you have to use. It's like having a reader with WiFi - using the WiFi is not compulsory.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Us old fogies don't care about that, we just don't want it - at all. That's what makes us old fogies.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
When a movie is released in 2D and 3D, I will only see the 2D version (the only exception to this was "Avatar," because it was being marketed as such a huge breakthrough in 3D technology. In retrospect it really didn't add anything to the movie, and distracted from the story because I was too busy noticing the 3D effects).
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have to admit that I've never seen anything in 3D. I'd like to see a 3D movie just as a matter of interest in seeing how well it works. I might go and see the 3D version of "Titanic".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
On the gadget side, 3D is just a (minor) extra cost but one that most of the TV vendors are starting to realize doesn't actually *sell* many extra TVs. In a business under stress that doesn't bode well for its long-term existence. So I wouldn't worry about current 3D tech crowding out 2D displays.

On the content side the picture is even dimmer for 3D (pun very much intended).
3D is extra cost, extra effort, and extra losses for the studios. Some pretty good movies in recent years have been brought down financially by 3D. And even the successful ones can rightfuly claim they would have been successful without the 3D gimmick.

Right now only motion-capture animation has a worse financial track record.
With 3D ticket sales underperforming, the industry investment in 3D could cause even bigger problems to movie-goers:

http://www.filmjunk.com/2012/03/23/p...ticket-prices/
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have to admit that I've never seen anything in 3D. I'd like to see a 3D movie just as a matter of interest in seeing how well it works. I might go and see the 3D version of "Titanic".
I wish they were re-releasing Titanic in IMAX in 2D as well. I've never seen the movie and I'd like my first viewing to be on a giant IMAX screen, but I really don't wanna see it in 3D.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #9
mikegetz
Professional Nerd
mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook WiFI, KOBO, Pandigital Novel Personal
i love 3D if done properly. Avatar was truly groundbreaking, as it was the first (and so far, the only that i have seen) that was done properly.
When we left the theater, all i could think was that Cameron had just changed the medium, if not created a whole new medium.
I saw Deathly Hallows pt 2, and was quite underwhelmed. somehow i expected the stunning visuals of Avatar coupled with one of the best 10 books i have ever read ... i should have known better. I forgot part way through that it was a 3D release, until I went to adjust my glasses and there were 2 pairs on my nose.

I have tried some 3D gaming, the wife was looking to get a DS a couple of months ago, and we tried the 3Ds out ... she ended up getting an XL instead. it just didn't add to the experience.
mikegetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
Us old fogies don't care about that, we just don't want it - at all. That's what makes us old fogies.
Damn kids! Get outta my yard!

That's who we're becoming. And we're good with that.

One game station uses the effect a bit differently. I saw it at best buy but i'm not sure of the maker.

Using the shutter glasses, it allows two players in a 2-player game to view the entire screen; each seeing their version only. That was cool. But not worth the annoyance of wearing the glasses.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #11
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I've only ever seen one 3D movie--Toy Story 3--in a movie theater. I wear glasses, and it was very difficult and annoying to put the ill-fitting 3D glasses over my own specs. I don't think the 3D added particularly to the movie--certainly not enough to overcome the annoyance of those glasses.

For some reason, I was very aware of the edges of the screen when watching the movie. It felt jarring somehow--like the screen should have completely filled the wall, side to side and top to bottom, to retain the illusion. I don't think I'm quite explaining what I mean, but it made me feel that on a home TV screen, 3D look even weirder.

Since I saw an animated film, I must confess that I am vaguely curious about how a non-animated film would look in 3D.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you're curious about 3D I wouldn't recommend watching a 2D movie converted to 3D to satisfy your curiosity.

I've seen several movies in 3D now, and I'm no longer interested or excited by it. Avatar was supposed to be THE movie to make 3D awesome but I found it no better than any other 3D movie.
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #13
Belfaborac
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
For some reason, I was very aware of the edges of the screen when watching the movie. It felt jarring somehow--like the screen should have completely filled the wall, side to side and top to bottom, to retain the illusion.
That's exactly my experience as well. Even when proper 3D (i.e. requiring no glasses) has been "perfected", I have no intention of getting a 3D TV, since the weirdness of the juxtaposition of the movie's 3D and the real world's 3D just ruins the viewing experience for me.

That's not to say I'm universally militantly anti-3D - when decent VR/TV headsets appear (like the Sony HMZ-T1, only much better), I'll happily part with a good amount of dosh to get one.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #14
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
I have yet to have any experience in fewer than four dimensions - 2D is just a trick.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #15
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
I have no particular problem with 3D, my problem is that it's used poorly most of the time. I can't recommend the movie Cave of Forgotten Dreams enough as an excellent use of 3D.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote